Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been lurking now for some time and I am overwhelmed with the knowledge of you guys/gals - I am a First 1000 buyer who has been advised that my car was shipped earlier this week to my dealer in California - no vin# yet, but the dealer was told by his rep that the car is in transit even though it is not showing up on the computer system - we will see if that story turns out to be true or false - I ordered mysterious, two tone leather, all options except onstar & xm.

Now for my question - I am going to buy aftermarket wheels & tires so that I can get a more agressive look as well as preserve the original wheels & tires for the future. That being said, I have no idea how to plan for purchasing aftermarket wheels & tires. I have read all past threads that I could find in the search engine about wheels & tires, but still can't determine exactly how to convert the sizes from 18" x 8" factory wheels to potential 19" or 20" wheels, tires, etc...So, is there any web site or information that I can read to determine if certain wheels/tires will fit this beautiful car?

I have my eye on some 20" Maya Ex2's with Pirelli tires which were previously installed on a 2002 M3 - The only additional information I have is the rears are 285/25 Zr 20ty & the fronts are 245/30 Zr 20ty with 4" deep dish rear & 2" deep dish fronts. Long story short - will these fit the Solstice & how can I verify this for sure before spending a couple of grand?

If these will not fit, does anyone have any suggestions on how the Sol can be equipped to make to Sol look absolutely dynamite - in a sporty, sort of blingy, aggessive way, ie....not overboard but definitely eye catching!! In my situation, money isn't of concern so any and all wheels can be considered regardless the price.

Thanks for your help & for the many months of completely usefull information & fun - I am officially addicted to this site!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Wheels are complicated by offsets, brake caliper clearance, and lug pattern. Your M3 wheels will not work.

There are tire calculators that you can use when you want to increase wheel diameters without increasing overall diameter (something that you dont want to do) by going with a lower profile tire. Here is an example of a tire calculator: http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

It's probably too soon to tell what current wheels will fit. We are currently making some measurements and will be test fitting some wheels so we can carry some aftermarket options.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your feedback - at least I know not to buy the M3 wheels - I see you are in the San Diego area - I am near LA, so I may be able to come see you guys for upgrades, etc...

Any suggestions for killer wheels to consider on the Sol - Will any Lowenhart, Maya, etc...work or do you know of something that looks as good for less money?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I definitely recommend not buying the wheels until you actually have the car. You need to know the offset, bolt diameter and if there's any clearance problems. Find a wheel dealer that has lots of sizes of wheels in stock and will mount them on your car just to check to see if they fit. They don't even have to be the style wheel you're going to buy, just the same size. Then, order the style of wheel you want. This is a case where there's a lot to be said for buying the wheels from a store and not on line. There's a lot of wheel manufactures are in the LA basin. You might not have to wait long for a special order if you buy from one of those.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I am not sure how a deep dish wheel is going to work. The Sol comes standard with wheels that appear to be pretty flush across the front, and a rather high offset. Deep dish usually has a fairly low offset. So going deep dish could push a lot of your wheel/tire out past the fenders.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
WaitingForBoost said:
Hopefully, once cars start ending up in the hands of owners, we can have some sort of "which wheels fit" database here.
We just need a few, um, "beta testers" to get some different sized wheels and try them on for size. Having an exact offset figure for the stock 18's would help too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Getting rid of my stock rims

I ordered the bottom of the line stock rims as that's the first thing to go. With new rims and the HID HALO headlamps the PureWhite ride is going to be kicking.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
solkool said:
Sweet, where are you ? I am in the bay area waiting for my cool to come in.

I am in Ventura County near Santa Barbara. Thanks again for the feedback everyone. I still don't undestand wheels, but the site left by Lillie is great for doing conversions. I too ordered stock wheels because chrome wasn't offered at the time. Someone suggested getting the stock painted rims dipped - Is this a viable option or will it ruin the stock wheels & eventually peel off?

·
Registered
528 Posts
SooolSweet said:
Now for my question - I am going to buy aftermarket wheels & tires so that I can get a more agressive look as well as preserve the original wheels & tires for the future. That being said, I have no idea how to plan for purchasing aftermarket wheels & tires. I have read all past threads that I could find in the search engine about wheels & tires, but still can't determine exactly how to convert the sizes from 18" x 8" factory wheels to potential 19" or 20" wheels, tires, etc...So, is there any web site or information that I can read to determine if certain wheels/tires will fit this beautiful car?

You can probably upsize +1 to a 19x9 wheel, but that would be it. Anything else and you lose the stance and balance of the car's geometry. Look for a Racing Hart 19" wheel or other wheel that weighs less than 19 lbs. The tire size you should be looking for is 275x35x19. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Do we know what the stock rims weigh?

·
Registered
528 Posts
The stock rims are around 22-23 lbs each, plus tires at 28 lbs each. So you have a combined weight just over 50 lbs at each corner. If you try and change the RS-A tire out for a Eagle F1 GS-D3 you be adding another pound to each wheel. Here is the interesting part though, if you upgrade to 19" wheels and find a lighter alloy say, 18-19 lbs per wheel the Eagle F1 tires drop to 28 lbs at that size (less sidewall). So you have wider tires and shaved 3-4 lbs per corner.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Terp -

When we were talking wheels/tires I thought Chuck mentioned going to a 9" wheel and Steve commented that he thought that would cause clearance issues with control arms and steering linkage. Ring a bell?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Chris said:
Terp -

When we were talking wheels/tires I thought Chuck mentioned going to a 9" wheel and Steve commented that he thought that would cause clearance issues with control arms and steering linkage. Ring a bell?
The stock configuration by GM is the best OEM setup they could accomplish. It's actually very good! The aftermarket suggestion of going 19" x 9" is to get more rubber under the car and possibly shave some weight at corners by using a lighten wheel. Mallett cars designs and cuts his own wheels so he will be able to get exactly the right offset and size.

·
Registered
515 Posts
TerpFan said:
The stock configuration by GM is the best OEM setup they could accomplish. It's actually very good! The aftermarket suggestion of going 19" is to get more rubber under the car and possibly shave some weight at corners by using a lighten wheel. Mallett cars designs and cuts his own wheels so he will be able to get exactly the right offset and size.
Ok. I just got the impression that the car would take a taller tire, but a wider wheel may cause issues. Whatever the case, people just need to be warned that if they head down to their local Wheels-R-Us shop and bolt on a set of 19x9 wheels, they may be in for some of that hardcore metal-on-metal action.

I'll just sit back for a while and let you guys figure out the details once cars are in hand. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi from Santa Monica

Hi,
I'm in Santa Monica and would love to see your car when you get it! I sent you a private message with my contact info.

Thanks!
-Vincent

1 - 20 of 37 Posts