Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So--- i over revved two nights ago- long story short I downshifted from 3rd to 2nd @ 85mph- luckly as i let the clutch out realized the problem shifted to neutral. I have no leaks and the motor revs fine... The only issue is now the car sounds like a Subaru! There are no engine codes, no tapping, no smoke! I have not done a compression test! Changed the spark plugs, the oil, and the tranny oil- but subaru sound is still present!! Any ideas??

·
Registered
263 Posts
I did that about two years ago and it did the same thing. I shifted into second going about 60 and half way let the clutch out. Well, it revved the engine way passed the limiter before I could even push it back in. Long story short, it started making a similiar noise, then the transmission started not going into gear, and when the Tranny came out, the clutch was in several pieces. I hope this isnt the car, but it is was happened to me. I hope it helps !

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's a video of the sound

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clutch is fine! Shifts fine! The pistons look fine... Wouldnt i have a loss of power with a bent valve?? Or a constant tapping?? Ill do a compression test- whats should the cyl numbers be??

·
Registered
313 Posts
Pull the valve cover. You broke a lash adjuster or two and the rockers fell off. Easy fix, just change the lash adjusters and put the rockers back on.

Pull the valve cover and it will be very obvious what happened.

·
Registered
258 Posts
^^^^ Exactly, This happen to me a few months back when I over-rev'd at the track. Words of wisdom right there. Just to be sure of everything, do the compression test. Very easy to do.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pull the valve cover. You broke a lash adjuster or two and the rockers fell off. Easy fix, just change the lash adjusters and put the rockers back on.

Pull the valve cover and it will be very obvious what happened.
Dumb question- what should expect to pay for that?? And thank yall for the help??

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Even dumber question- since i prolly broke a lifter or two, shouldnt i just replace them all? If so- how many should I buy?

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
It does sound like a subaru. Maybe Subaru's come broken from the factory? ;)

Good to hear it sounds like an easy fix. I can almost hear the panic in your voice on the video. I know I'd be doing the same thing.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It does sound like a subaru. Maybe Subaru's come broken from the factory? ;)

Good to hear it sounds like an easy fix. I can almost hear the panic in your voice on the video. I know I'd be doing the same thing.
Horizontally opposed motors sound glorious... whodda thunk just breaking a lifter makes your car sound Subarific! It still goes like stank, though... so other than the sound it's performing the same.

Anyone know how many lifters in this motor? I'm familiar with Japanese motors- using lash caps, I am not familiar with lifters and rockers... Even with my drag mustang- I only personally got to see the internals on the block, but not the head.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,475 Posts
Anyone know how many lifters in this motor? I'm familiar with Japanese motors- using lash caps, I am not familiar with lifters and rockers... Even with my drag mustang- I only personally got to see the internals on the block, but not the head.
There really aren't any "lifters", just lash adjusters, rockers and the camshafts.

One for each valve, and there are 16 valves, 4 per cylinder.

See #214 and #215

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Dave... so should I just do the few I broke or do the whole set?

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,475 Posts
Thanks Dave... so should I just do the few I broke or do the whole set?
Beats me! I'd pull the cover off and see how bad it is is and how many are damaged, and then there's the question of whether any of the valves are bent.

If it's only one or two lash adjusters needing replacement, I think I'd only replace the bad ones.

·
Registered
258 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dude, you're amazing bro... I'll just do em all.. 160.00 but it's worth it I'm sure!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Get the ones from a 2010 Cobalt SS, there better.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I dont understand how the car can not loose powere if the rockers are broken. When my car broke the adjusters and the rockers fell off it back fired like crazy. If the valves are not working the car must loose power and back fire. You better do a compression check first, it is the easiest and cheapest check to make.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well- I broke 1 measly lash adjuster, on the exhaust side- third cyl!!! GRRRRRRR-

Got the lash adjuster ordered, so i can have it installed this weekend along with my new rotors...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts