Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may have already been answered but what about all of the cars that I've seen in pictures at the plant. On the car carriers and such.

Wouldn't you think that they have already started production and your car is just sitting there until they want to release it??

I don't want to get anybody all worked up but my god, there they are. Why can't we get them?? In one picture I saw there must have been 20-30 of them sitting there. All alone, with no one to drive them. Sniff, sniff.

Anyone else feel this way?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Here is the answer

The cars you have seen in those pictures are pre production cars. Those cars will never be sold to the public. Relax, production cars will soon be on the way.

Steak

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...oh yeah

Swinging Steak said:
The cars you have seen in those pictures are pre production cars. Those cars will never be sold to the public. Relax, production cars will soon be on the way.

Steak
You don't know that (unless you're Bob Lutz, maybe). Chances are they are some of the first PRODUCTION cars, which were started Monday. :cool:

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...people are talking

Swinging Steak said:
Rich....
I hope I'm wrong and YOUR right! We should know soon.

Steak
Me too. Some of the other threads are claiming to have seen people working in the Wilmingtion plant starting Monday. I'm guessing (and hoping) that most of the pre-production cars are already being driven by people like Big John (other threads). It would be stupid to have so many pre-prods just sitting there this close to manufacture.

Anyway, it's anybody's guess (or fantasy). :cool:

·
Registered
936 Posts
If they are ours I want mine delivered. I don't want my car baking in the sun and getting water spots burnt into the paint.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
ateam_77 said:
If they are ours I want mine delivered. I don't want my car baking in the sun and getting water spots burnt into the paint.
Relax, as soon as Bob gets back to work on the 18th his first job is to visit Wilmington and apply the GM badges to your car and thereby pronounce it complete. :lol:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
If they were production cars, wouldn't they have that white film over the hood, trunk, and sides? When is the film applied? I would think inside the factory before going into the parking lot? maybe?

·
Registered
305 Posts
todd_raleigh said:
If they were production cars, wouldn't they have that white film over the hood, trunk, and sides? When is the film applied? I would think inside the factory before going into the parking lot? maybe?
Good point, I think these may have been test vehicles of all the colors.

What I notice is there do not seem to be any Sly colored ones in the group???

Seems wierd to me.

But there was a thread some time ago saying they were going to run the cars
in color batches with Sly being the first (don't know where this came from).

But if this is the case none of those cars would be production cars.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Craigar said:
Wouldn't you think that they have already started production and your car is just sitting there until they want to release it??
There are still a lot of pre-production ones sitting on the lot from work over the last few weeks. If proudction just started it will take some time to see those build up. As I said in another thread, if it has a black bra on front it's pre-production.

·
Registered
59 Posts
ateam_77 said:
Hey, It's a Solstice...
It's very essence is the sun...driving up a winding road, warm breeze in your hair, carving through the curves, the deep growl as you accelerate out of a corner, the sun gleaming from it's sumptuous curves for the admiring stare of the long-haired brunette standing on the side of a country road...This is not just a car, this is the very essence of your being, firmly in touch with your senses as you and your solstice...fly.

(sorry, had to get it out of my system...I have to go now :leaving: )

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Gopherman said:
Hey, It's a Solstice...
It's very essence is the sun...driving up a winding road, warm breeze in your hair, carving through the curves, the deep growl as you accelerate out of a corner, the sun gleaming from it's sumptuous curves for the admiring stare of the long-haired brunette standing on the side of a country road...This is not just a car, this is the very essence of your being, firmly in touch with your senses as you and your solstice...fly.

(sorry, had to get it out of my system...I have to go now :leaving: )

Go where, back to your job writing copy for the J. Peterman catalog? :lol:

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
mceb said:
There are still a lot of pre-production ones sitting on the lot from work over the last few weeks. If proudction just started it will take some time to see those build up. As I said in another thread, if it has a black bra on front it's pre-production.
Unless mine eyes deceive me, those in the lot do not have bras. Or maybe it’s just wishful thinking. ;)

·
Registered
350 Posts
flaj said:
Unless mine eyes deceive me, those in the lot do not have bras. Or maybe it’s just wishful thinking. ;)
Think back to high school or maybe later if you have a more technical degree when you had to do logical proofs. This is like an If... Then statement. IF the car has a bar THEN it is a preproduction car. The thing about if then statements is that they can not be reversed. The statement IF it is a preproduction car THEN the car has a bra on it (which leads you to think that IF a car doesn't have a bra THEN it must be a production car) does not have to hold true. Therefore just because a car doesn't have a bra on it does not mean that it is a production vehicle.

The probable reasoning is this. They would not put a bra on a production vehicle at the plant (it is dealer installed), because it would ruin the paint, but this does not mean that they will not put them on. Just if they do it could only be a preporduction car (maybe they do it to hide the gaps).

Hows that for a lesson that you probably didn't want to learn.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Do bras ruin the paint? If yes, why the hell spoil the look IMHO of the car with a bra?

At least seat covers protect the seats, but I always wondered who you were protecting the seats for, why not enjoy. Same with the front end. If I wanted a big black ugly mass on the front I would be buying an SUV.

I vote we liberate Solstices by burning bras!

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
SolsticeDesire said:
Think back to high school or maybe later if you have a more technical degree when you had to do logical proofs. This is like an If... Then statement. IF the car has a bar THEN it is a preproduction car. The thing about if then statements is that they can not be reversed. The statement IF it is a preproduction car THEN the car has a bra on it (which leads you to think that IF a car doesn't have a bra THEN it must be a production car) does not have to hold true. Therefore just because a car doesn't have a bra on it does not mean that it is a production vehicle.

The probable reasoning is this. They would not put a bra on a production vehicle at the plant (it is dealer installed), because it would ruin the paint, but this does not mean that they will not put them on. Just if they do it could only be a preporduction car (maybe they do it to hide the gaps).

Hows that for a lesson that you probably didn't want to learn.
This is getting a little SCARRY. These cars had better get here soon. ;)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Does anyone know how much internal space the Wilmington plant has that is not being used by the new line?

If they had the space and wanted to be really sneaky, they could build the "First 1000" and store them inside until they were satisfied that they passed muster.

At 80 square feet per car, that is only 80,000 sqaure feet or about two acres. My office building has a footprint of 40,000 square feet, so it is possible they have that large of a staging area INSIDE.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Fortyninenorth said:
Does anyone know how much internal space the Wilmington plant has that is not being used by the new line?
Not sure of the exact number but it's big.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts