Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I special ordered #1067 (I think?) and received it in December of 2005 back in the day. I was one of the first to receive their Solstice in Fort Lauderdale...

My daughter was born, and she didn't fit in either of our cars. We had a VW Beetle Convertible, and a Solstice, and a bunch of other cars that didn't have a back seat. In the end, we sold both cars, along with a couple of other cars, and we both got SUVs.

I sold my Solstice in... 2009 I think? I only had 28k miles on it, and I absolutely miss it.

I traded it in and bought a Ford Explorer, which was also a great car. At some point, I'd love to go back and get another Solstice... not right now, but maybe in a couple of years. I do also have a Pontiac Fiero (my first car).

Just curious how the Solstice has held up for you guys?

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
1,683 Posts
Mine is running fine. 08 "Mean" GXP with 57K on the clock.

Reactions: nanmike

·
Premium Member
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe 001136
115 Posts
Well, if you have to part with a Solstice, I guess a child is a pretty good trade. Well, usually. ;-)

This is going to sound funny from someone who has owned his Solstice for less than a week--but given that I purchased 'Ruby' from the original owner who kept the car garaged aways, was rigorous about maintenance, and eventually sorted out practically every known Solstice issue (water pump, ignition, etc.); it appears I have a 12-year old creampuff. Just drove 1500 mostly freeway miles to bring Ruby home, and zero issues along the way. Inching toward 58k mi., now. (The original tires still had plenty of tread, though I chose to re-shoe before driving home.)

Aside from the expected issues that are a result of design and/or materials, this one, with proper maintenance and care, has held up brilliantly.

I just finished my part of raising a son; he's off to an apartment and sophomore year at University. So I'm at the other end of the cycle--send the kid packing and buy the fun car.

Hope you find yours!

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Bought my 07 in 12. Cat converter plugged and water pump replaced. Other than that, it spins right along!

·
Registered
97 Posts
My 08 was bought in 2012 I have too park it 6 months every winter. It has not cost anything other than tires nothing so far

·
Premium Member
2007 Sol NA (work in progress)
160 Posts
2007 NA bought in mid-2019 at around 65K, currently around 67K. No signs of any major component work in the past. The woman who owned it in FL apparently kept to the "if it ain't broke, leave it alone" maintenance schedule. I'm more "if it has a filter, change it. If it has fluid, replace it. If it's electrical, upgrade it." Running well.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I remembered having to let go of my Z3 M Roadster when my firstborn came along even though we already have a family car. No matter how I tried to reason it out, I knew a 2-door roadster is not conducive for that phase of our lives. No way will I put a baby carrier on the front seat. That means it will be relegated to a "date" car.
The time for something fun will return. All in right the time.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Welcome back!

My 2 have been dead reliable, a 2006 with a V8 conversion 36,000 miles, and a 2009 N/A Coupe that has 90,000 miles. Just tires and brakes in the time I have owned them. But both were previously owned by people that babied them.

·
Read Only
2008 GXP Mean Yellow
22 Posts
We have a 2008 Mean GXP. the original owner past away and his brother inherited the car. He didn’t drive a stick so just parked it in his garage with several other cars his brother collected. All yellow. I came across it on Craigslist. Kept seeing the end and finally, out of curiosity mostly, worked out a road trip to see the car. My mistake! I loved it. Left my offer and got an hour away and the owner said come get the car. It had 11,000 miles. Now it has 19,000. Unfortunately I had several strokes and can no longer drive. Especially a stick. So we put it up for sale this past month. No lookers. I mean not one. Seems every one wants modified not original. Go figure. I do have one interested party, but is trying to work out the logistics to come see it. Like me they are not close by. So it remains covered in the garage. I miss driving it. We are in the country with rolling winding roads. Just what the car was built for. We never had any issues with it other than a useless cup holder sticking. like anything, if you take good care of it, it give years of pleasure.

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver&356Pcar.dirtbike,4wheeler
837 Posts
mine is a silver 06 I bought in 18, runs good now.about 60000 miles.still looks like new. I just wish it was a gxp for the extra power. just minor stuff repaired like cam silynoids. there were 2 colors I liked yeller and sliver, so I get the silver when I found this one.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I bought my '07 GXP new in '07. A little over 200,000 miles and it still looks and drives great. After 100K it did need a water pump, shocks, a few miscellaneous parts, and a clutch but I consider that normal wear and tear at this many miles.

·
Premium Member
2007 Sol NA (work in progress)
160 Posts
Seems every one wants modified not original.
Interesting. Seems everyone else seems to think that mods reduce the value of the car. Would seem that, at this point, there are only so many unmolested early models available, and getting one that I could personalize to reflect what I like would be attractive to people.

Keep plugging! Good luck with your sale. I think you're in the right location to appeal to a lot of people - just have to wait for the right one.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My 06 N/A is doing great. I picked it up a couple months ago with 10,800 miles and just rolled over 12k.
I added the lumbar support (big improvement)
Trunk spring mod
Wireless solar back up camera with APP view.
New trunk release button

She’s fitting quite nicely

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’ve had mine since July 2006 and it’s holding up admirably. It’s my daily driver year-round. I have 222k mikes on it. I bought it to drive it, not baby it like a museum piece.

Replaced my rear brakes for the first time at about 184k miles, along with the clutch. Just replaced my front brakes/rotors last year at 220k miles. Torsion spring for back trunk just broke a few months ago. Dealer wanted over $700 to fix. F that! A piece of wood works just fine when I need to prop it open.

I’ve been daydreaming for years on what I’ll replace it with when the time comes. My boy wants me to get a new C8 corvette but that’s just too over the top for me, although I’d love it. Just don’t need to deal with all the snide remarks about it being a mid-life crisis car and me being another loser old dude in a ‘vette. Heck, smartest move I could make is to pick up a used Solstice and hope I have as good of luck with it. I’d have plenty of spare parts to keep it going.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I got my 2006 Solstice on November 5, 2005. The car has held up really well. The top is good shape. It now has 68000 miles. Unfortunately, it was rear-ended 4 years ago. The rear facia, and exhaust system were destroyed. The repair looks good and the car still performs like it always did. The catalytic converter failed last year is the biggest repair I have done. I had the hood and trunk painted a year ago because there was some peeling. The car even gets some use in New England winter. Tires and normal maintenance for the most part. I still have many people comment on my beautiful car.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I bought my '07 GXP new in '07. A little over 200,000 miles and it still looks and drives great. After 100K it did need a water pump, shocks, a few miscellaneous parts, and a clutch but I consider that normal wear and tear at this many miles.
Good to hear they can last that long. My gxp has 68k so I guess I have miles of smiles yet to go. The only major issue I've had was the water pump.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts