Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Nice title. Lol. What I have learned from this forum is that it is not based on time alone but a multitude of factors such as rpm, temperature, etc. all related to environment and driving style. They say it is more like an algorithm that is very accurate to keep the oil and engine safe.

From Tomato Soup on another post:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=130036#Post130036

Here's an excerpt:

The GM engine oil life monitor counts engine revolutions and accumulates the number for the basis of the oil life calculation. It then adds deterioration factors for operating temperature, start up temperature, soak times, ambient, coolant temperature, etc... There are a LOT of factors that "adjust" or affect the slope of the deterioration but the fundamental deterioration is traced back to the ZDP depletion that is inescapable with engine revolutions. The specific rate of ZDP depletion is readily measurable for any given engine so that is the fundamental item that is first calibrated for the oil life algorithm to tailor it specifically to that engine.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
For the drivers having a dic....

How many miles / months does you Drive Information Center allow between oil changes ?
For some reason I seem to recall that you don't have this feature on your car. Mine usually calculates out to about 8K to 9K miles, but since I don't drive it that much any more, I just change it every year.

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
I change my oil once a year or 3000 miles the last couple of years I'm lucky to put that many miles on the car

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I look, smell, and feel the oil on my dip stick. It needs changing between 5 to 6K miles on my coupe (NA engine). On the DIC, that's just under 60%. YMMV...

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
The dic only tells you the percentage of oil life left. It doesn't say miles/months or make any recommendations. Just a %-age of life left.

The yearly change is because GM says it should be changed at a minimum of one year.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
RedOne07,

Turn the page . . . When the oil life %-age expires, the dic will give the warning "CHANGE OIL SOON". I assume this happens when the Oil Life Remaining hits 0%. (NOT 3 months or 5000 miles).

·
Registered
559 Posts
Seems I have problems getting my question across. :)

As far as I know the dic will "alert you to change your oil". Quote is from the user manual.

Did anyone ever have that happen because the 3 months limit or the 5000 miles limit had been reached ? because those are the GM limits for a NA dic-less Solstice. I wonder if it is even possible to drive so crazy to have the dic recommending that.
To answer your question, no, I have never had the dic say to change my oil at 3 months or 5000 miles. I have had numerous GM cars with an oil life monitor and none of them have ever told me to change the oil whether I have gone 8,000 or 6 months. They have all given oil life percentages.

·
Premium Member
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I assume we are still not talking about the same thing Dave, but maybe it is me not understanding you, let me rephrase and try again.

-1- Oil is changed and dic + engine oil life system have been reset.
-2- You note down the odometer reading and the date.
-3- You drive drive drive drive drive drive drive drive drive
-4- The dic recommends oil change.
-5- You note down the odometer reading and the date.

Did anyone ever have as little as 3 months or as little as 5000 miles between 2 and 5 ?

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
I assume we are still not talking about the same thing Dave, but maybe it is me not understanding you, let me rephrase and try again.

-1- Oil is changed and dic + engine oil life system have been reset.
-2- You note down the odometer reading and the date.
-3- You drive drive drive drive drive drive drive drive drive
-4- The dic recommends oil change.
-5- You note down the odometer reading and the date.

Did anyone ever have as little as 3 months or as little as 5000 miles between 2 and 5 ?
-1- check
-2- check
-3- check
-4- I've never had it warn me to CHANGE OIL SOON
-5- I do this when I change the oil.

Normally when I'm at 3000 miles since an oil change, the OLM (Oil Life Monitor) is at 65% to 68% oil life left.

The only oil related message that appears in the dic is CHANGE OIL SOON, and that only appears after the OLM hits 0%, which would be somewhere about 10,000 miles by extrapolation (and/or a shrewd guess).

Also, there is no way to set days/dates in the dic, so it cannot calculate elapsed days/months/years.

·
Registered
693 Posts
ive been changing mine between 30 and 40% which is around 7500 miles.i dont feel good about going further without oil change.this is with full synthetic oil,and it would probably go a few thousand more before saying change oil soon.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
My understanding is that oil life is determined by a number of factors. I currently have driven more than 8000 (mostly highway) miles since my last oil change. According to the DIC, my oil life is at 50%. I'll be getting my annual oil change before I go to NAASSM, and probably won't drive more than 1000 miles before then.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I change mine when the Oil Life registers 10%...I only go by that. I average about 5500 miles a year on the car!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Mine normally gets around 8,000 - 10,000 miles and/or 10 - 15 months between changes. The last time for me was last October.

Mine is mostly city driving; not sure if that makes a difference in the timing of the changes. I normally average about 8,000 miles a year, though last year I may have only drove it less than 1,000 miles.

Oh, BTW, today is the first day this year I can't drive it. I don't think I could plow through the 1'+ snow we got. Maybe if they send a plow truck done the side street today I can take the car for a 'spin' tomorrow. :)
(Later tonight is my 1 year anniversary of my 'accident')

·
Registered
333 Posts
For those who have one, it appears some handle their DIC differently, as it relates to oil changes. Since GM recommends Mobil1 5W30 for my car, I trust in my DIC to let me know when its time to change the oil, because oil change percentages are probably pretty close to the algorithm GM came up with while running synthetic oil. Now like others, I don't wait for my DIC as a hard and fast rule for oil changes, but usually when it gets down to 25%.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I make a bunch of short trips and mine has gone from reset to 0% in well under 3000 miles and that was less than 6 months driving too. I changed it and reset it in April last year and it hit 0 by August. I reset it again and it's already at 0 again. I checked the oil and it's full and medium brown. I'll probably change it this month though.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I usually change oil when DIC says 20% oil life, which happens after 7K to 8K.
I change oil at the Chevy dealer , and they usually put a sticker with a schedule for 5K miles to the next oil change.So I split the difference between the sticker and the DIC :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts