Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know for sure that it has a spare donut?

I was once again looking over the GM pictures, especially the ones with the body panels off, and it looks like there's no provision for a spare tire (donut)under the trunk! I hope I'm wrong, but it doesn't look like there's room in front of that beautiful differential. Or does that missing trunk floor panel have a well that allows one to be mounted some what vertically against the gas tank? I'm assumeing that most of that space right behind the gas tank is needed for the top to fold into.

I know they're saying it'll have 18" rims but hope those aren't these those high dollar run-flat tires? I can't see the General trying to keep costs down and putting almost $2000 worth of rubber on every car!

If it does have a donut in the trunk, I can see how Autoweek says "leave the golf clubs at home." I'm reminded of having to mount the spare on the luggage rack of my MGA whenever I set out on a road trip (drive till it broke down, camp and fix it by the road, then drive home). A silly donut strapped to the trunk won't look near as good as that spoked knock-off!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Suspect it may come with a can of fix-a-flat. Have just a tickle in the back of memory about an automaker that did it once before. May just take Fiero one step further - had a donut up front but no place to put the flat.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Corvettes have been without a spare since 1997. They come with run-flats. I don't run the run-flats myself. I carry a patch kit, plug kit, and fix a flat.

The Z06s come from the factory with an air compressor and a patch kit.

I hope they don't go the run flat route on the Solstice. The technology on them just isn't that great. The sidewalls are pretty stiff. You get a rough ride and not so great handling.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Both the C5 'vette Z06 and the Chevy SSR have no spare, just a "kit" that has an inflator and a container of the tire equivalent of bars leak.

IF the Solstice does not have a spare, assumed that it will have this instead.

http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/chevrolet_corvette_convertible_2004/12838/style_review_article.html?source=nctd&page=2

"(regarding the Z06 model) ...There is no spare, nor are the tires run-flat units; instead, you get an emergency tire [sealant and]-inflator kit. So take your cell phone and try not to run over any nails..."

and from this site regarding SSR:
http://www.murraychev.winnipeg.gmcanada.com/english/vehicles/chevytrucks/ssr/ssr_details.htm

"Tire sealant and inflator kit - replaces spare tire"

A friend of mine that owned a Z06 said you should carry a cell phone - usage of the kit can get pretty messy. I'm sure some of the guys on corvetteforum can look at the use instructions and describe them if you ask.

My guess: solstice will use non-EMT tires, and find some space for the inflator kit. EMT tires are expensive, and have a lot of baggage with them.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I keep a coupla cans of fix-a-flat around, occasionally I come across a porous aluminum wheel that leaks down over a week or two and a can usually is a permanent fix. It is kind of gloppy and you will probably hear a complaint from the next person who changes tires on that wheel.

As for nails, I generally leave it in when using the glop unless on a strange angle. It fills the hole. Of course I also get the tire properly fixed within a day, then the nail makes the hole easy to find.

This is one reason racers keep some latex enamel paint around and paint the inside of aluminum wheels to seal any pores. There is enough trouble keeping air in racing tire sidewalls that any extra leaks from the wheel itself is not a good.

And just for super trivia, you will never see a straight up and down valve stem on a real race wheel. Coupla people tried and found that the centrifical force at high speed was enough to unseat the valve. Is also a good reason to always have a valve cap in place.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Yeah, apparently this can of gunk is not like a can of fix-a-flat. It's non-pressurized (you supply the pressure) and you have to remove the valve stem to do it. After you squeeze the goop into the tire, you have to put the valve stem back in and inflate the tire.

This is assuming they use the same system as corvette Z06. Maybe there's something new or they found a place to put a spare. and maybe monkeys will fly out of my butt.

Something about pressurized canisters in the back of a car in the summer prevents OEM usage of normal fix-a-flat.

Apparently, the RX-8 also uses a similar kit, without EMT's and without a spare.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yet another argument for a luggage rack :cool

For autocrosses I always have a second set of tires/rims since what is best on the track is not good for street use if you are really serious.

Once upon a time I had a little trailer to carry tools, jack, tires, & such in when needed, wonder if the Solstice will have a trailer towing package ?

·
Registered
182 Posts
does anyone know the other magazines/papers/etc. that were at the test drive. hopefully they will have more pictures and they can answer some of our questions. Personaly i am not sure that i would really want a car without a spare, if i go for a ride through wisconsin sometimes you will not see another car for quite a long time and cell phones are not that reliable in northern wisconsin. however i will most likely still get a solstice with or without a spare. Hopefully there will be room for at least a donut.

·
Registered
21 Posts
padgett said:
Yet another argument for a luggage rack :cool

For autocrosses I always have a second set of tires/rims since what is best on the track is not good for street use if you are really serious.

Once upon a time I had a little trailer to carry tools, jack, tires, & such in when needed, wonder if the Solstice will have a trailer towing package ?
Hey, a cool custom idea, make a trailer using the back end of a Solstice (like Prowler did) put all the necessary essentials in there when travelling.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Brian said:
does anyone know the other magazines/papers/etc. that were at the test drive. hopefully they will have more pictures and they can answer some of our questions.
Brian, only test drive so far has is the recent Autoweek article in the News section. Doesn't go into spare tire question.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Brian said:
does anyone know the other magazines/papers/etc. that were at the test drive. hopefully they will have more pictures and they can answer some of our questions.
Reading the Autoweek article, I got the impression there were a bunch of journalists there at the test drive. I imagine the usual suspects (R&T, C&D, MT, et al.) will have their reports coming out this month as well. Autoweek just gets the head start by virtue of being a weekly publication.

-Stephen M

·
Registered
151 Posts
Brian said:
does anyone know the other magazines/papers/etc. that were at the test drive. hopefully they will have more pictures and they can answer some of our questions. Personaly i am not sure that i would really want a car without a spare, if i go for a ride through wisconsin sometimes you will not see another car for quite a long time and cell phones are not that reliable in northern wisconsin. however i will most likely still get a solstice with or without a spare. Hopefully there will be room for at least a donut.
this would be a problem for me considering i go to the dells all the time in the summer and my last cell phone didnt work up there. i have a new phone now and it should work (at least they told me it would when i bought it) when im up there, so we'll hope so.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If ponatic was smart they would steal the same tires off the vette....hey troy....whats the size of the stock tires for the corvette?? since you own one!!! :mad

lol
JK man :cheers i love your vette!

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I personally don't think that's a smart thing. Current Corvette tires may be the right size or close to it (I think they are 245/45 17, which is obviously not an 18"), but they are run-flats. As stated before, that's a whole lot of cost and baggage that goes with a $20,000 car.

Run-flats, IMHO, are heavy, hard-riding, and expensive as heck to replace (17" Eagle F1GS = $183, 17" Eagle F1GS EMT = $266 from tirerack).

Spent a little time in a 'vette with the active handling off on a road course, and the production tires are pretty "edgy" - meaning the edge of adhesion was very sharp and difficult to sense without going too far.

Not sure what the best solution would be. I like the short rear of the Solstice, and not-so-much-like the extended tail of the Honda S2000 and the Miata.

I like the appearance of the rear o'hang of the BMW Z4, but I don't think they have a spare either. My guess is there's no space for a spare without sacrificing the rear overhang appearance. At least there's a true weight savings (non-run-flat tires AND no spare tire, jack, or tools). I've heard the increase in weight of the run-flats on a Vette is close to the weight of a space-saver spare and jack and tools.

Bottom line: No spare tire won't keep me from owning a Solstice. I've logged somewhere just short of a million miles in the last fifteen years, and have only had to use the spare twice in all that time - and once was when the tire went flat in the parking lot at work.

A big part of this is the price tag: if I were shelling out $35,000 or $40,000 then I'd expect someone to carve a space for ALL the goodies out of thin air - including a spare tire and tools.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Wonder if anyone is tooling up a little trailer like they use for big bikes, could make it look just like the Solstice rear end. Maybe a continental kit too. Sounds like an opportunity to me.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Wonder if anyone is tooling up a little trailer like they use for big bikes, could make it look just like the Solstice rear end. Maybe a continental kit too. Sounds like an opportunity to me.
Just put a 2" receiver on it. Then you can put one of those steamer trunk type deals that slide in. You could even put a removable continental kit, bikes, gas cans, safari gear, skis, wheelchairs, etc... Damb near anything can be put on a 2" receiver. Gotta be careful to not look to much like the Clampets tho. :lol

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Not having a spare would certainly be a bummer if you got a flat, and I am always getting nails and stuff stuck into the tires on my Fiero. However, nails and stuff usually create a slow leak, and can be driven on until I get to a tire shop for a repair. They usually don't blow out.

Maybe there will be a spare tire option. RX-8 comes standard with repair items and no spare, but a space saver spare is an extra cost option. It takes up a good deal of the trunk, but it sure is nice to have it if needed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Test Drive

Brian - and others - MOTOR TREND for June 2004 carries a test drive article. They talk about the top (and include a couple of pics with the top up) but don't address the spare wheel issue.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts