Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone out in cyber space is representing Pontiac on this forum answer me this.Why a car made the 3rd day of August still sits at the plant and cars made after are already in driveways across these united states.Ranting ....hell no... want some solid information,who out there will step up and set the record straight.Customer center just informed me about quality inspection phases before release,is it that bad you have to hold it for a month......now I'm going to shutup before I get accused of hosting a whine party. :brentil: :cool: :lol:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
SATCH said:
If anyone out in cyber space is representing Pontiac on this forum answer me this.Why a car made the 3rd day of August still sits at the plant and cars made after are already in driveways across these united states.Ranting ....hell no... want some solid information,who out there will step up and set the record straight.Customer center just informed me about quality inspection phases before release,is it that bad you have to hold it for a month......now I'm going to shutup before I get accused of hosting a whine party. :brentil: :cool: :lol:
I do not officially represent Pontiac. So I'll just give a couple hypothetical reasons. Say there was a problem with a certain part from a certain supplier, and it was a part of a popular, but not universally ordered option. That could hold up the bulk of cars.

Maybe it was a fitment problem, of a piece or part, that a few cars came out ok but most had the fitment issue. They ship the few that are ok, have to check the rest.

Or say there was a manufacturing process problem, where something wasn't always coming out right. That could cause them to have to check out all the cars again, shipping those that are ok, keeping the others for a fix.

Or... a combination of all these types of things (and some others). Complicating this could also be parts that need inspecting by taking something back apart. If something behind a trim piece, body panel, etc needs inspection it could involve length disassembly of something. Then, if it needs repair/replacement, that would also add to time. Then after that is done, assuming new parts that are ok are available from the manufacturer, they may wait until they have a sufficient number of cars "ready to go" before shipping them.

At any rate, it must be taking time to get things right, and most cars must be affected.

Did you see the GM fastlane blog entry on this topic from last week?

I know it is nothing you really want to hear, and it certainly doesn't give you an official GM answer, but I just wanted to toss out a couple possibilities.

Has your dealer given you any idea on shipping time? (PS, out of curiosity, what dealer did you get your Sol at?)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike Smith at corner of Transit & Robinson in Lockport.First question no.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
SATCH said:
Here is the link to the GM fastlane blog entry specifically about Solstice delays at the plant. It still doesn't directly address the problems, but it at least GM is making an attempt to inform Sol enthusiats about the delays.

http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/archives/2005/08/about_that_sols.html#more

How did you like doing business with Mike Smith? I have to decide where I want to pursue getting a Sol. I always did my Pontiac business with Gary Pontiac in Buffalo, but they closed a couple years ago. It is too bad too, because they had a terrific service shop!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Judging from the amount of deliveries in last 2 days looks like they are clearing out the lot in mass shipments.

Hang in there, should be soon now.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
The idea seems crazy but it was postulated that as they built the cars they started from the back of a fenced in area, filling it from back to front. The cars in the back are now boxed in so that the ones in front have to be moved first. I know, crazy, dumb, stupid, but its an idea.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
See it is for this exact reason they do not want to give us access to the car status. We only want the question answered if it the answer we want. As soon as it is not what we wanted to hear then we complain and then keep asking the same question over and over until we get the answer we wanted to hear. Then we complain again that it took to long to get an answer. When in fact the answer was given right away it just wasn't the one we wanted to hear.

Does "The F1K cars will be delivered by the end of October." sound familiar? If we had no information about production would we still be complaining in Early Sept. that we do not have cars?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dogtown said:
See it is for this exact reason they do not want to give us access to the car status. We only want the question answered if it the answer we want. As soon as it is not what we wanted to hear then we complain and then keep asking the same question over and over until we get the answer we wanted to hear. Then we complain again that it took to long to get an answer. When in fact the answer was given right away it just wasn't the one we wanted to hear.

Does "The F1K cars will be delivered by the end of October." sound familiar? If we had no information about production would we still be complaining in Early Sept. that we do not have cars?

Hey Dog I just want a no spin zone answer why it takes a month to qualify a car for shipment is it incompetence,lack of leadership,poor vendor parts or mentally challenged inspectors,shoddy assembly.....etc...If its that bad build me a new one and ship that one to Canada. :lol: :cool:

·
Registered
936 Posts
I say a lack of customer care. They got their promotion from the EOP program and that is all that mattered to GM. It was said on the forum that they only had 2 people per shift working on the quality corrections while they poured out hundreds of cars that just piled up and became a bottleneck. If they wanted you to get your car sooner they could have put more manpower on the job to correct the problems and get them cars out.

That is my opinion of why cars have been built and just setting. It is not a complaint just answering your question. And having said that I am sure the workers at the plant are doing their best dont fault them at all.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
ateam_77 said:
It was said on the forum that they only had 2 people per shift working on the quality corrections while they poured out hundreds of cars that just piled up...
I have a friend who does this job at the Jeep Liberty plant - this is not a job you want any Tom, Dick or Harry doing. It is MUCH more difficult to fix it, than do it right the first time (without making a mess :willy: ).

·
Registered
245 Posts
MAKsys said:
I have a friend who does this job at the Jeep Liberty plant - this is not a job you want any Tom, Dick or Harry doing. It is MUCH more difficult to fix it, than do it right the first time (without making a mess :willy: ).
isn't this the truth. :agree: :agree:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
ateam_77 said:
I say a lack of customer care. They got their promotion from the EOP program and that is all that mattered to GM. It was said on the forum that they only had 2 people per shift working on the quality corrections while they poured out hundreds of cars that just piled up and became a bottleneck. If they wanted you to get your car sooner they could have put more manpower on the job to correct the problems and get them cars out.

That is my opinion of why cars have been built and just setting. It is not a complaint just answering your question. And having said that I am sure the workers at the plant are doing their best don't fault them at all.
Easy there, don't get too vicious with that finger pointing... ;)

Fixing "small" problems can be quite time consuming. As the line is refined--dies and jigs adjusted, processes changed--the "problems" subside.

BMW had the same issues with the M1. They had to rebuild almost every one of them to meet their quality standards. In the end, just as with the M1, the Solstice will meet the target quality standards, and will be released.

My point here is that the Solstice is in good company with many of the low production sports cars. I am glad that GM is taking the time to rework the cars.

Could the process have been helped by additional folks to rework the cars? Well, perhaps, but as MAKsys said:
MAKsys said:
- this is not a job you want any Tom, Dick or Harry doing. It is MUCH more difficult to fix it, than do it right the first time (without making a mess ).
The visibility that we've had into the process is much higher than most manufacturers have typically allowed. This has generated more anticipation and (with the inevitable delays of a new platform and a new production line) more frustration with anything short of a production system which "operate on the unlikely principle of defocused temporal perception" which was used by the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation to build elevators. "...[it's] a curious system which enables the elevator to be on the right floor to pick you up--even before you knew you wanted it." :lol:

The frustrations with delivery times have been boiling up :brentil: about every 2 weeks since April like waves on the ocean, predictable, ever present, and recurring... In August, the sets started coming in at the rate of about 1 per week....

·
Registered
363 Posts
OtallDon

Well it has to be this is a first run automobile. Would you rather be sure they get it right when they send it to you or would you rather the car be recalled to be fixed later. There were alot of obstacles in making this car in the time frame they have and apparently the are going through some things to be sure you get a quality automobile that you will enjoy. Patience is a virtue...... :cool:

·
Registered
106 Posts
ateam_77 said:
I say a lack of customer care. They got their promotion from the EOP program and that is all that mattered to GM.

The last thing that any business wants is fallout from hundreds of unhappy customers. This situation is many times more delicate due to the hightened attention on the F1K cars and 1000 new owners.

That's 1000 voices that will be heard very nearly in unison if there are any major mechanical or cosmetic issues.

Sure, I admit it's ultimately about the bottom line, but you insure that bottom line by insuring a quality product.

Similar waits happened to new mustang orders. A friend of mine waited about 8 months for his to arrive (boy was he steamed when, 1 month before he got his, a mutual friend of ours walked onto a lot and took away one on the showroom floor...and had them change the tires/wheel combo the same day with those from another car on the lot)

With regards to customer satisfaction, sometimes you have to piss off a few to make the majority happy. Few are more acutely aware of this as I am. Managing a popular restaurant and saloon here in Ventura, I occasionally have to physically remove unruly guests, even during dinner ours.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
otalldon said:
Well it has to be this is a first run automobile. Would you rather be sure they get it right when they send it to you or would you rather the car be recalled to be fixed later. There were alot of obstacles in making this car in the time frame they have and apparently the are going through some things to be sure you get a quality automobile that you will enjoy. Patience is a virtue...... :cool:

PATIENCES BE DAMNED I'M PISSED,AND I DON'T CARE WHO KNOWS IT,IF I HAD A QUARTER I'LD CALL SOMEONE WHO CARES. :banghead: :mad: :brentil: :devil: :cuss: :cuss: :rant: :smash: :glol:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Mysterious in Leather

Then cancel your order and get something else.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
otalldon said:
Then cancel your order and get something else.
:glol: :glol: :glol: :glol:

·
Read Only
3,468 Posts
SATCH said:
PATIENCES BE DAMNED I'M PISSED,AND I DON'T CARE WHO KNOWS IT,IF I HAD A QUARTER I'LD CALL SOMEONE WHO CARES. :banghead: :mad: :brentil: :devil: :cuss: :cuss: :rant: :smash: :glol:
At last, a voice of reason on this forum! <running and ducking>

--Chemist (can't order mine until next January, so the wait right now is easy)

·
Registered
169 Posts
SATCH said:
Does the "Afterdark" still exist in Lockport?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
bgfpt said:
Does the "Afterdark" still exist in Lockport?
It has been gone for awhile,it will remain as a fond memory in my mind,I had many a good (drunken) time at that establishment. :devil: :party: :cool:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts