Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've got my car up on the air to perform fluid replacements when my Solo HFC arrived. So I've started on removing the OEM cat.
I got no problems loosening the 3 turbo side bolts however I'm unable to find enough space to leverage to work the lower right bolt.

As you can see the fuse box and the black box by the firewall are preventing me to get more leverage. Any ideas? Solo instruction didn't mention any specifics on this. Appreciate some advice here.
Thanks.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From the bottom eh not sure of there's enough space. Will try. Remarkably the other 3 were fairly easy to loosen.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
May I suggest a long arm flex head six point box end ratchet wrench. It's much like a "Gear Wrench" on steroids. The extra length and thinness, coupled with the flex head, the fine ratchet mechanism plus the closed operation of the six point box have made these wrenches a true asset to my projects where access is an issue.

You may find these sets of some help. I was able to buy the complete set in 12 point for about the cost of the one wrench I needed had it been the six point.

12 point set https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FB33BY3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

6 point set (This is the one I would buy as a forever set) https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-WRN77164-Flex-Head-Ratcheting-Wrench/dp/B01F512HOU/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Tekton+Extra+Long+Flex-Head+Double+Box+End+Ratcheting+Wrench+Set,+Metric+6+point&qid=1619836979&s=hi&sr=1-2

I hope the links work...good luck. I'll use my set when I do my high flow cat, if I don't just take Elsie to Dave at DDM.

Richard Snipes

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hi ya! In the end I ended up attaching a 3" extension to a breaker bar and got it out by tapping it.
Removed the cat bracket, then dropped the cat without having to lift the engine. It came down very easily without the bracket.

What a chubby mofo the stock cat is in comparison!

Will report the hfc install another day as I decided to tackle the rear diff fluid.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You’re gonna like the HFC.
Added it and a Solo catback a few weeks ago. Didn’t have trouble with undoing the nuts, but found that raising the engine a bit made removing the stock cat much easier.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Raising the engine was unnecessary with the bracket off. The cat just dropped out with a simple clockwise turn.
Look forward to the hfc and my solo S/R combo.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Solo HFC went on easily. Everything bolted right up....fit was perfect. Quality piece.
Only current challenge is removing the front pipe O2 sensor. It's just stubborn. Why o why....so close!

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
I believe that some cars go easier than others on the car removal process.
Me and a bud spent half an hour trying all the tricks and the just loosened the motor mounts as per the visa and it came right out.

I wonder if there is a difference in cars or end users ?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I believe that some cars go easier than others on the car removal process.
Me and a bud spent half an hour trying all the tricks and the just loosened the motor mounts as per the visa and it came right out.

I wonder if there is a difference in cars or end users ?
Same here- I origamied that thing for about a half hour before I conceded and loosened the mount and jacked up the engine 1/2 inch. I wonder if some of the cats have slightly different dimensions.

·
Super Moderator
8,327 Posts
Same here- I origamied that thing for about a half hour before I conceded and loosened the mount and jacked up the engine 1/2 inch. I wonder if some of the cats have slightly different dimensions.
I think some engine mounts are different. I had an interference with my supercharger installation that no one else reported, and it appears that my engine sits about 1/2" lower than "normal".

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It would be a significant mfg discrepancy to have cat sizes differ that much!
This leads me to agree with @JohnWR that our engine mounts may have some inconsistent setup between cars. Wouldn't loose mounts lead to vibration and engine shudder?

Are there any specs for the engine mount?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts