Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As soon as I get my baby I plan on making Quite a few upgrades to her. One of the first will be a HID upgrade from Bosch/Autovizion for about $260.

Does anyone know the light specs for this vehicle 9003, 9004, 9005, 9006 ECT>?

Thanks,

Solman

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
SOL MAN said:
As soon as I get my baby I plan on making Quite a few upgrades to her. One of the first will be a HID upgrade from Bosch/Autovizion for about $260.

Does anyone know the light specs for this vehicle 9003, 9004, 9005, 9006 ECT>?

Thanks,

Solman

That was the biggest mod I wanted to do... but for some dumb reason, non-stock HID is illegal in the U.S.

It's probably because you have to run the lights at 25,000 volts instead of 12.

If there was an easy way to upgrade to HID, I would do it anyway.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
those are called angel eyes arn't they?

I'm sure somone will post a "how to HID" once the cars start comming out.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Their called hallo projector and when there available for the Sol I will be getting them with Xenon Plasma bulbs that are street legal and 12 volt. Already have both in my GMC.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
PAS22 said:
Their called hallo projector and when there available for the Sol I will be getting them with Xenon Plasma bulbs that are street legal and 12 volt. Already have both in my GMC.
Well when they are available please let everyone know.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some HID Info from Autovizion

looks like a easy fit we will see.

-bulb specification-
Bulb type: H1
Power consumption: 35watts
Voltage: 85V + 17V
Luminous flux: 2200~3200
Service Life: up to 3000hrs
Input Voltage: 9V-16V
Working current (Steady state): 3.5 A nom
Ignition voltage: 24kV Peak Max, 18kV Peak Min
Lamp Frequency: 450 Hz

HID (High Intensity Discharge) is a radically different type of lighting technology. HID lights operate more like vapor filled streetlights. Instead of heating a filament like standard halogen bulbs, HID bulbs create light by zapping an arc between two electrodes. The arc excites a mixture of Xenon gas and metallic salts, producing a bright white beam of light that resembles natural daylight.

Your Kit includes everything you need to get real HID lights. You get the HID bulbs, wiring harness, ballasts and igniters. McCulloch Kits are designed for direct plug and play. They give you extra long wiring harnesses, weather resistant protection, and the smallest ballast of any kit available.

Items Included In the Kit:

(2) Gen 4 Autovizion Ballast
(2) Bosch/Autovizion Xenon Bulb
(2) Connector
(10) Wire ties
(2) Heavy duty heat resistant double sided self adhesive tapes

The HID Advantage
Bottom line, HID headlights provide better visibility than ordinary halogen bulbs. The difference is even more evident during poor driving conditions. A significant percentage of road accidents take place during inclement weather, especially at night. HID lights allow drivers to overcome these conditions by providing up to 3 times more light. Added visibility contributes to driver confidence, which provides for a more relaxed, safer driver.

Remarkably, HID lights are able to provide greater light output with less power consumption. Studies show that a 35 Watt HID lamp produced 3 times as much light compared to a 55-Watt halogen bulb. Also, the 55 Watt halogen bulb uses a continuous power draw of 10-15 amps, while the HID system uses 20 for start-ups but drops to a mere 3 amps during operation. In addition to high output and low power usage, you HID headlight provide a longer service life. Under normal driving conditions, the bulbs will last approximately 4 years (3000 hours). That’s up to 4 times as long as an ordinary halogen lamp.

Xenon bulbs
These Xenon bulb are precisely machine based to maintain the exact focus point and consistency. The precision guarantees the beam pattern will be the same as your OEM, and of course with dramatic increase in intensity thanks to the Xenon technology. The burner are manufactured in Japan in Class 100,000 clean room to ensure the purity of the Xenon gas enclosed in the capsule and consistency. of the color temperature from batch to batch. These bulb will outlast and out outperform all of the Xenon bulb out on the market with least blow outs.

Color Temperature: 5000K
5000K has an approximately 3200lm output, which is more than 3x the light output of the traditional halogen light and is the color temperature with the most output. The light appears fairly white, and has light yellowish hue when reflected off the road identical to the OEM HID equipped vehicles. This color is for customers who is looking for pure performance white improving the looks of their headlight. It is idea for customers who does a lot of back road or canyon driving and need the optimal visibility. This is the color temperature that give you the most light for your bucks. Please note: most customers have a common misconception that the higher the K (Kelvin temperature) the brighter it gets, but in fact, it is the opposite. The K rating is inversely proportional to the light output, therefore the lower the K the brighter the light output. Also Xenon runs cooler and than your traditional halogen, therefore it will not melt your housing.

Color Temperature: 6000K
6000K has an approximately 2800lm output, which is 3x the light output of the traditional halogen light and slightly less light output compared to the 5000K. Although it has a bit lesser light output, it emits pure whiter light with very slight and barely noticeable tint of blue and purple. Please note: most customers have a common misconception that the higher the K (Kelvin temperature) the brighter it gets, but in fact, it is the opposite. The K rating is inversely proportional to the light output, therefore the lower the K the brighter the light output. Also Xenon runs cooler and than your traditional halogen, therefore it will not melt your housing.

Color Temperature: 8000K
8000K has an approximately 2550lm output, which is about 3x the light output of the traditional halogen light and slightly less light output compared to the 6000K. While it has a bit lesser light output, it emits bluer light than the 6000K. Please note: most customers have a common misconception that the higher the K (Kelvin temperature) the brighter it gets, but in fact, it is the opposite. The K rating is inversely proportional to the light output, therefore the lower the K the brighter the light output. Also Xenon runs cooler and than your traditional halogen, therefore it will not melt your housing.

Color Temperature: 10000K
10000K has an approximately 2200lm output, which is more than 2x the light output of the traditional halogen light. 10000K produces a deep blue light output approaching violet and the blue is noticeably deeper than the 8000K. Please note: most customers have a common misconception that the higher the K (Kelvin temperature) the brighter it gets, but in fact, it is the opposite. The K rating is inversely proportional to the light output, therefore the lower the K the brighter the light output. Also, Xenon runs cooler and than your traditional halogen, therefore it will not melt your housing.

Color Temperature: 12000K
12000K has an approximately 2100lm output, which is more than 2x the light output of the traditional halogen light. This color temperature puts out a deep bluish violet light and is deeper colored than the 10000K. It is for customer who is looking for the most extreme and most exotic looking light output. Please note: most customers have a common misconception that the higher the K (Kelvin temperature) the brighter it gets, but in fact, it is the opposite. The K rating is inversely proportional to the light output, therefore the lower the K the brighter the light output. Also, Xenon runs cooler and than your traditional halogen, therefore it will not melt your housing.

Warranty
WARRANTY COVERAGE ON BULBS
Bulbs are warranted for a period of 6 months from the date of the purchase. Warranty does not cover breakage due to improper installation, shipping or handling.

WARRANTY COVERAGE ON BALLASTS & IGNITERS
Ballasts and igniters are covered by the warranty for a period of one(1) year from the purchase date.

EXCLUSIONS
Any defects resulting from water damage, fire, acts of nature, misuse, abuse, modification, improper installation, vehicle crash, or any type of impact. Any modification to the system or operating on a vehicle with a damaged headlight housing, will void the warranty.
McCulloch will not be responsible for damages to automobiles resulting from the use, misuse, or inability to use a McCulloch product.

REPLACEMENT OR RETURNS
All replacement must be If a product is suspected of being defective, please contact us as soon as possible to try to resolve any problems before they escalade. The returned product will be inspected by the manufacturer. If the product is found to be defective and covered by this Warranty, it will be repaired or replaced at the manufacturer's option. Any charges accrued for removal, installation, or reinstallation will not be covered by this warranty. Shipping and handling will not be reimburse. Please e-mail us for replacements or returns.

All claims will be thoroughly considered and you will be contacted promptly with a resolution.

All of our kits are plug and play; meaning there is no wire cutting - no custom fitting - and no stress. Just plug it right in like you would a regular bulb and your done. Step-by-step instructions and a wiring diagram below will help you with this process.
**BEWARE**

Some vehicles require more work than others due to their unique bulb housings.
Possible removal of the bumper required - Check in your Vehicle owners manual.

1.First and foremost disconnect the car battery terminal.
2.Remove the factory light bulbs

3.Replace with McCulloch xenon bulbs. (If your vehicle has a dust cap, please replace with something equivalent to ensure a good seal.)

*If the bulbs are dirty, use rubbing alcohol to clean the bulbs, do not immerse it in any liquid.

4.Find a mounting location for the ballast.

- Do not drill holes on the box.

-Mount away from moving components, such as A/C or power steering pump.

-Mount to a solid location.

-Mount to a good ventilation location (such as under the headlight for some vehicles.)

-Some vehicles require headlight and bumper to be removed during installation.

-Allow the necessary distance for the base connector to reach the bulb.

5.Plug Ignitor adaptor to the xenon bulbs; make sure the bulbs are secured tightly and dust cover cap is properly enclosed.

6.Run wiring harness in the engine bay.

-Avoid placing harness next to or close to liquids and moving parts.

-Use zip ties to secure the wiring harness.

7.Attach the power plugs to each ballast, make sure the plugs are securely placed and that it is firmly intact.

8.Reconnect the car battery cables and make sure all components are secured.

9. Turn light switch on and enjoy your brand new Xenon headlights. Allow the light to be on for 10 minutes, this is just a simple burn in procedure.

Please visit sylvania.com to find the bulb size of your car or trucks.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Too much reading for me..... but sounds cool.

:cool:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Is there any way to mount the ballast on the frame without drilling holes?

·
Registered
994 Posts
High temperature weather resistant tyraps would be one possible way.
Why not just mount it?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Excelsior those look awesome!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I wonder if anyone could transfer the headlight picture above to the night shot of the Solstice in the Gallery to get an idea of what the Solstice would look like with those lights.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Fortimir said:
but for some dumb reason, non-stock HID is illegal in the U.S.

It's probably because you have to run the lights at 25,000 volts instead of 12.
If that was the case, your ignition coil would be illegal, too. :)

Never try to figure out the logic behind the law.

·
Registered
23 Posts
SlipSlider said:
Is there any way to mount the ballast on the frame without drilling holes?
I would probably do double sided foam tape from 3M. It's the same stuff they use to attach vehicle badging. You can get it at Wal-mart, Staples, Home Depot..etc. The foam tape should also prevent vibrations and rattle. Then you could even do a couple zip ties for good measure.

·
Registered
60 Posts
HID's are only illegal as aftermarket bulb replacements. It has entirely to do with adjustements and allignment. Car manufacturers can sell them on new vehicles because they set the light allignment (which is inspected pre-sale) to meet safety standards.

There is some controversy that the "whiter" color, higher intensity of the light could blind oncoming traffic and potentially cause accident. However, there have been no cases of accidents resulting from this very fear. It's the same nonsense complaints as when halogens became popular 20 years ago, since halogen bulbs are "whiter" than the old "yellower" looking headlamps. People were afraid it would blind them. Sigh....

These lights are legal as auxillary lights, which run ONLY when the high beams are on. However, the whole point of HIDs is to improve visibility when driving with low beams. It's very frustrating, but you can understand why it exists. You dont want some random half-assed mechanics installing bulbs incorrectly. While they are illegal to sell, it'snot necessarily illegal to buy them. If you find a place that sells them, go for it. They are a great upgrade.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Lillie said:
These lights are legal as auxillary lights, which run ONLY when the high beams are on. However, the whole point of HIDs is to improve visibility when driving with low beams. It's very frustrating, but you can understand why it exists. You dont want some random half-assed mechanics installing bulbs incorrectly. While they are illegal to sell, it'snot necessarily illegal to buy them. If you find a place that sells them, go for it. They are a great upgrade.
So what's the best way to go about upgrading to HID without much hassle?

·
Registered
60 Posts
That's what I'm trying to find out myself. There are many companies that sell HID upgrades to replace the H1 lights, and some even provide wiring harnesses specific to the car so that you dont have to splice them in. Somehow these companies remain in business, probably due to some random technicality or loophole in the law. They are also legal for sale overseas, so technically you could buy them from Europe or Asia w/o any hassles.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I got a Problem with Wire Harness

I need help this problem is bothering me so much when i bought my 2006 solstice i decided to replace my headlamps Bad idea with Nokya halogen lamps you know what i mean H 13 I guess i messed up the whole thing Now my lights are not working or working and then not working like there is a connection problem But sometimes just one works or it works and then when you start the car the lights don't work it's annoying !!!! i need to replace somthing i guess it the wiring harness yes ????? anyone??? where can i buy it??? and how easy to install it? Help Help Help

1 - 20 of 22 Posts