Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am under the impression that the Solstice will come stock with Halogen headlamps, but the first change I would make is adding Xenon lamps.

I know nothing about changing headlamps or anything like that. Do you just swap bulbs, or do you have to get a whole system, etc... and what should I get?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
For HID's you will likely need someone to create an HID conversion kit. Its definately much more than just swapping out the bulb! Its a different kind of system and housing.

If that doesn't happen, or if its not available right away, you may be happy with a set of Silvania Silverstar bulbs. They are a brighter, white light emitting bulb that replaces a stock halogen bulb. I have them in my Fiero and they do make a big difference in nighttime visibility.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Fformula88 said:
For HID's you will likely need someone to create an HID conversion kit. Its definately much more than just swapping out the bulb! Its a different kind of system and housing.

If that doesn't happen, or if its not available right away, you may be happy with a set of Silvania Silverstar bulbs. They are a brighter, white light emitting bulb that replaces a stock halogen bulb. I have them in my Fiero and they do make a big difference in nighttime visibility.
Are they expensive? Do they really work?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Do the Silverstar bulbs work? I think they work great! Probably not as good as an HID conversion would get, but much better than a standard halogen bulb. It is a much whiter light, and things show up at night much better in the whiter light. I am not sure if that is due to a higher output of light, or just the whiter color of it, but there is a noticeable difference to me with night vision.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Projector beam Halogens are VERY good, compared to standard halogen of "yesteryear" they are 10x better, where as HIDS are another level maybe 15x better than old style halogens.

Go check out something like the Base RX8 with halogens, the headlights are awesome, I'm sure these will be good enough. If you want HIDs the kits are actually illegal if they are not OEM as they do not have leveling or the proper housing to dispurse the light.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
The Solstice will have halogen bulbs standard, and the Sky will have projector halogen which gives more directed light which helps make it brighter in the area they point, instead of just blanketing it all out.

I put Silvania Silverstar halogen bulbs in my ZX2 since I had stock bulbs that throw off a yellow light instead of white. The Silvania ones follow DOT compliancy, so they're not as bright as the illegal for street use/show bulbs you see on a lot of cars. But they're defintely brighter then your normal stock bulb and throw off a much larger light area since they are brighter. I think I paid $28 per bulb for the type I needed.

We've talked about this recently, and it was something most of us dind't know too. Apparently after market HID kits are now illegal. The only type of HID kit permitted is factory stock, or if you get a retrofit kit from the car maker.

If you wanted HID too you would have to get an entire new system. They use different bulb connectors and an entirely different power supply system. However they do use less power then your normal halogen/xenon bulbs, and also run cooler too. But they're far more expensive. Most after market kits I've looked at for true HID lights run like $800+.

·
4,592 Posts
I did a thread on Silvania Silverstar on my Isuzu forum, they got great reviews. But, there's a thread on mi*ta.net and many claim they burn out very fast, thus are a costly idea. Any ideas?

My 4x4 needs an improvement, the stock bulbs light the way very poorly, but they last forever.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
RODEO said:
I did a thread on Silvania Silverstar on my Isuzu forum, they got great reviews. But, there's a thread on mi*ta.net and many claim they burn out very fast, thus are a costly idea. Any ideas?

My 4x4 needs an improvement, the stock bulbs light the way very poorly, but they last forever.
I've had one of my bulbs blow on me so far. I think it lasted almost two years. I also run my lights at all times since I don't have daytime running lights but I like having them on anyways. The other bulb has been in there for 2.5 years now and is still functioning just fine.

The problem with halogen over normal bulbs is they're more susceptable to oil unlike cheaper bulbs. You have to be extremely careful not to touch them with your fingers, or even let them brush up against anything.

·
Registered
55 Posts
you have to be careful with adding a true HID system to a car with reflector style housings.

most 'xenon' systems out there as OEM applications are fitted in projector housings which, as already mentioned, focus the beam of light and contain a physical cut off point 'mid-projector' to keep the beam of light from being too high and blinding otherr drivers. the bulbs in these systems are D2S for the most part - this is the proper system for real HIDs.

lots of people however buy aftermarket systems (xenon filled bulbs, ballasts and wiring) and install them into their older, reflector housings and they think that's all there is to it. however, there are some studies that show that this actually can decrease your light output as (for the most part), installing xenons into reflectors causes the light to just go all over the place and you end up not having as much useable light and you just piss off other drivers because the beam isn't focused and isn't cut off properly. so unless you plan to actuall hack up your housings to install projector units, just stick with regular halogen bulbs (perhaps higher intensity ones like PIAA or silverstar?? i'm not sure tho...).

the Sky will be great for this as it already has projectors installed, but just with halogen bulbs. it'll be easy to buy xenon-filled bulbs, ballasts and the necessary wiring to hook everything up so you'll get clean, functional light that'll look great without blinding everyone.

attached are pics to show the difference for those that aren't as familiar.

hope that wasn't redundant or incorrect :willy:

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
That explanation sounds good. One extra point I'd like to make is that the silverstar halogens output about 1200 lumens +/- 10%. HID's output about 2800 lumens. The sky should be able to retrofit a HID bulb but the lens used is aimed for halogens still and thus will still not match the performace of a stock HID system. There have been discussions around the net about the need to replace the projector lens from an Audi/BMW/Mercedes before the light is dispersed properly.

*Edit* Somebody please make GM have an option for HID's on the Sky if they won't do it on the solstice. I know i'd pay 800+ for that option on my car. You can't put a price on safety and they look spiffy too :cool:

·
Registered
55 Posts
andrewplanet said:
*Edit* Somebody please make GM have an option for HID's on the Sky if they won't do it on the solstice. I know i'd pay 800+ for that option on my car. You can't put a price on safety and they look spiffy too :cool:
:agree: i got them on my A4 (it was the first year they were available) and i thank myself every day. i love them and would definately pay $$$ - but even if the Sky doesn't come with that option, it will be one of my first mods.

kris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts