Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how easy to you guys think it will be to make them in to the hids insted of the normal halogens? i know it will be very easy with the sky because it has projectors.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
High Intensity Discharge, they're the über birght headlights you see on more expensive cars. Unfortunately I don't think we'll ever see HIDs on the SOlstice. However I could see them being Sky or another Kappa car option eventually.

Hmmm, got me wondering. Would the Sky projector beam headlamps fit in a Solstice? Off to go look at images to see how similar they are.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Nope, the headlamps are completely different. Looks liek it would require replacing the hood and front bumper to make it work.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Possibly. Or someone who would design a new front facia/hood for the aftermarket might design one to accept the Sky headlamps as another upgrade option. They could buy them in bulk from GM and sell them along with their products.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was very disappointed to see that the Solstice did not have HID options. Then again you can always go to the auto parts store and by the cheep imitation bulbs--did it on an old lude I had and it looked alright. For the Solstice I might just drive with the foglights on...looks cool enough for me-for now.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
JonzeOnSolstice said:
I was very disappointed to see that the Solstice did not have HID options. Then again you can always go to the auto parts store and by the cheep imitation bulbs--did it on an old lude I had and it looked alright. For the Solstice I might just drive with the foglights on...looks cool enough for me-for now.
Problem is HID == expensive, but Solstice != expensive. Things have to be cute to meet a price point. HIDs are a non-required feature that would have been nice, but also make the price jump up.

·
Registered
446 Posts
You can get an HID kit for about $500 now that replaces the normal bulbs with HID replacements, along with the ballast. Unfortunately, single bulb systems like the solstice's mean you give up high beams if you want HID's. A better solution might be to replace the fog lights with driving lights. Hella, among others, makes some really small HID driving lights.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hella produces projector beam housings for HID bulbs. What I've seen some people do is actually take these modules, and cut up the original housing and fabricated holes and used a little fiberglass to mount these projector housings in the original housing. They had a legal beam, which meant that it was focused appropriately, the beam was perfectly level etc.... The problem with throwing an HID bulb into a headlight housing is that the headlight housing is designed for a filament, and not to focus and arc. Which means when you use the HID bulb, you'll have more glare than useable light. I've seen a whole lot of guys try the ebay retro-fit with only dismal results. There are some companies who do good retrofits, using HID housings from other cars, such as taking the Q45 Gatling housing, and fitting it into a Tundra.

·
Registered
189 Posts
If we cant get HIDs, I think the best idea would be to work with the current headlights, make a new hole to mount them and fill in with fiberglass, as previously said....Ill at least want some kind of ultra-bright cool blue headlights, just the color improves the look and feel of the car I think. :cool:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
An alternative would be to replace the stock halogen bulbs with a Zenon super white plasma or something comparable. I installed projectors lights on my GMC and did the bulb switch.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
What I'm wanting to know is what KIND of bulb does the Solstice use? H4 or what?

And if that's the case, anybody looking for a brighter alternative should go with Sylvania Silverstars. They are some of the best lighting you can affordably buy as just bulbs. Anything better and you're looking at retrofitting HIDs. If anyone wants, I can post a detailed comparison I did (with my 240SX) between stock sealed beams, cheap H4s that came with the conversion housings, and Silverstars.

This is why I'm wondering, because I have a pair of H4 Silverstars that I'll be removing from my current car and putting into the Solstice on the first night, barring that the Solstice is going to use H4s...

...So does anyone know the bulb type?

·
Registered
281 Posts
dori-san said:
What I'm wanting to know is what KIND of bulb does the Solstice use? H4 or what?
And if that's the case, anybody looking for a brighter alternative should go with Sylvania Silverstars. They are some of the best lighting you can affordably buy as just bulbs. Anything better and you're looking at retrofitting HIDs. If anyone wants, I can post a detailed comparison I did (with my 240SX) between stock sealed beams, cheap H4s that came with the conversion housings, and Silverstars.
This is why I'm wondering, because I have a pair of H4 Silverstars that I'll be removing from my current car and putting into the Solstice on the first night, barring that the Solstice is going to use H4s...
...So does anyone know the bulb type?
I've seen in pictures and in person the difference that a high-wattage H4 kit from www.pfyc.com makes:

The pictures don't lie, but then, the C5 stock headlamps aren't very good, unless you like the romantic ambiance of candlelights while driving.
;)
They're not HID lamps, you can read all the details here.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Just so you guys know Aftermarket HID lights have been illegal in the US since October of last year. You can and will be fined for it if caught.

Sadly that is my option that seriously annoys me. They should ATLEAST have it as an option on every car made. They are safer and provide more light to the driver while not blinding oncoming drivers.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Billabongi said:
Just so you guys know Aftermarket HID lights have been illegal in the US since October of last year. You can and will be fined for it if caught.
Does that include the Silverstars? If not, I wouldn't mind seeing Dori-San's review.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
WaitingForBoost said:
Does that include the Silverstars? If not, I wouldn't mind seeing Dori-San's review.
Silverstars are standard halogen bulbs so no that is not included. Silverstars are really the only legal way to get better "quality" lighting out of your system. You can also upgrade the harnesses usually and provide a little better power to your lights.

People just try to be cheap way to much and buy 100 watt "cause higher wattage is better right?" blind oncoming traffic and end up melting their stock wiring most of the time

1 - 20 of 73 Posts