Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to install a new high- flow catalytic converter and was told just to use high-temp RTV for the gasket at the turbo. I picked up some copper high-temp, but it doesn't seem like it would withstand the temps. Any first hand experience using this? Any issues?

·
Registered
432 Posts
I used the copper high temp spray when I installed the downpipe in my last turbo car (dodge caliber srt4) and it worked great, I would assume the same would be true in this smaller less powerful motor but I haven't yet gotten around to replacing the downpipe in my gxp

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
I'm getting ready to install a new high- flow catalytic converter and was told just to use high-temp RTV for the gasket at the turbo. I picked up some copper high-temp, but it doesn't seem like it would withstand the temps. Any first hand experience using this? Any issues?
I am guessing it is for a Werks High flow cat? We installed another one last week here that we had to put about a 1/2" bead of the high temp silicone on to get it to seal, worked fine, no problems. Just give it a little time to set up and you will be good.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses guys.

I don't think I used enough and have a leak. Pretty noisy at start up (cold) and then quiets after 10-15 seconds. Sounds good until I get on it and then I hear a hissing sound. Assuming it's a leak. Really didn't want to do it over. Ugh!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check engine light came on. Looks like I'm taking it out and redoing the gasket. Bummer.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'd check the code first - are you using an o2 extender? When I recently installed my HFC without the extender on a stock tune, I got the CEL as well. Upgraded to the Trifecta budget tune and no CEL since.

I used smaller bead than 1/2in (maybe 3/8in?) and while it is louder at startup (which I attribute to the freer flowing down pipe), as soon as the idle comes down it is as quiet as stock. No hissing sound, though; that might indicate a re-do. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I probably had no more than a 1/4" bead. I was worried about having it squeeze out to the inside of the CAT and clog things up. The hiss got worse this afternoon as well, so I'm going to re-do it and then get the CEL cleared and go from there.
Thanks!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re-did it and put a much larger bead of sealant on it. I still don't trust it though. There wasn't anything left of the original bead after just a few miles. We'll see.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts