Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I called Solo Performance today with the intention of scheduling a time to get a Mach Shorty exhaust and High-Flow Catalytic Converter installed. The person I spoke with extremely honest with me and very helpful. What he said is that they cannot install the High-Flow Cat at their shop because it is not CARB certified. This gave me pause because I do live in New York and, unfortunately, I have to deal with New York emissions. He did tell me that a majority of the time there are no issues passing emissions. But, they cannot guarantee it will pass and occasionally there is an issue.

I'm wondering if there are any folks out there in CA or NY who have the high-flow cat from solo and could share their experience with me? Any input is greatly appreciated.

I just want to reiterate that Solo was up-front with me and I seriously appreciate that I can now make an informed decision.

Thanks!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Currently sitting in zoro muffler on Mississauga getting a solo high flow cat on my GXP. They never mentioned anything about having problems passing the clean air test and Ontario has been known as one of the harder places to pass. Up until a few years still they had a sniffer test you had to pass as well as having no check engine light

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Currently sitting in zoro muffler on Mississauga getting a solo high flow cat on my GXP. They never mentioned anything about having problems passing the clean air test and Ontario has been known as one of the harder places to pass. Up until a few years still they had a sniffer test you had to pass as well as having no check engine light
As long as you don't get any check engine lights you'll pass the test, i just had mine done a few weeks ago, they simply hook something up to the obd2 port and that's it, no more rollers or sniffer tests.
However you will most likely need an o2 extender installed otherwise the cel will come on.

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
As long as you don't get any check engine lights you'll pass the test, i just had mine done a few weeks ago, they simply hook something up to the obd2 port and that's it, no more rollers or sniffer tests.
However you will most likely need an o2 extender installed otherwise the cel will come on.
Same with me in Toronto. I have the Solo Cat and have passed twice with no issues.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
I live in SoCal, no visual required. No check engine light, no problem, but you most likely will need the extender. WE put it on just because Solo sent it to us. My suggestion is to use a shop that knows you, so they know you are not an undercover guy. They are far more stringent with just off the street customers at my shop it seems.

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
A few years ago I had to take my car in and get the sniff test because it sat all winter and the ECM was still in the read mode as far the emissions controls go .At that time I had a high flow cat ,header ,CAI ,and tune and the car ran cleaner then a stock 2.4 I keep all records relating to my car so I checked just for comparison .Since then I did the turbo conversion with the same cat and muffler system no problems the car runs clean , here in Ohio they are not so much into the mods as long as you can pass the test I even had the techs pop the hood to look at things .Now even though I know my car will pass I have it registered as a collector vehicle so I don't have to deal with those tests every year .

·
Registered
228 Posts
I live in SoCal, no visual required. No check engine light, no problem, but you most likely will need the extender. WE put it on just because Solo sent it to us. My suggestion is to use a shop that knows you, so they know you are not an undercover guy. They are far more stringent with just off the street customers at my shop it seems.
Hi skersfan, where in socal are you? curious what shop you use.

Thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi All,
I called Solo Performance today with the intention of scheduling a time to get a Mach Shorty exhaust and High-Flow Catalytic Converter installed. The person I spoke with extremely honest with me and very helpful. What he said is that they cannot install the High-Flow Cat at their shop because it is not CARB certified. This gave me pause because I do live in New York and, unfortunately, I have to deal with New York emissions. He did tell me that a majority of the time there are no issues passing emissions. But, they cannot guarantee it will pass and occasionally there is an issue.

I'm wondering if there are any folks out there in CA or NY who have the high-flow cat from solo and could share their experience with me? Any input is greatly appreciated.

I just want to reiterate that Solo was up-front with me and I seriously appreciate that I can now make an informed decision.

Thanks!
CARB E.O.# or not, it's against the law to remove and replace any functioning catalytic converter anywhere in the United States. There are serious fines from the EPA if caught, and that's probably why Solo won't install it. You may find that many reputable shops won't install them.

Beyond that, California requirements around certification of non-OEM catalytic converters are about both A) ensuring the cat performs as well as stock and B) lasts as long, which is often not the case for both with high-flow units.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts