Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've searched the forum and there seems to be a lot of information on how to replace this piece but not on symptoms indicating the need to replace.

On a trip up north I started smelling fuel heavily from the front of my car - I found that when I turned the key off there'd be a hum from, and a bubbling out of, fuel from the high flow fuel pump (right above the plastic plug).

Is this the HFFP? I think it is - but also thought maybe its the low flow or the regulator.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

THANKS!!

·
Premium Member
17,531 Posts
If you have a 2.0 car the high pressure fuel pump is mounted on the back of the motor next to the oil filter canister. If you have fuel leaking you should NOT drive your car. Its a fire hazard but as bad there are a few known cases where the HPFP continued to function enough so the ECM did not throw a code, however it was leaking down into the engine, contaminating the oil and soon destroying the bearings due to lack of lubrication.

Generally when the HPFP fails, it will not provide enough pressure to the injectors to enable the motor to run normally. You will get a check engine indication and the car should go into limp mode. This limits speed to about 45 MPH. But when I had it happen, the car ran so poorly that it was obvious that the pump was bad.

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
If you have a 2.0 car the high pressure fuel pump is mounted on the back of the motor next to the oil filter canister. If you have fuel leaking you should NOT drive your car. Its a fire hazard but as bad there are a few known cases where the HPFP continued to function enough so the ECM did not throw a code, however it was leaking down into the engine, contaminating the oil and soon destroying the bearings due to lack of lubrication.

Generally when the HPFP fails, it will not provide enough pressure to the injectors to enable the motor to run normally. You will get a check engine indication and the car should go into limp mode. This limits speed to about 45 MPH. But when I had it happen, the car ran so poorly that it was obvious that the pump was bad.
As Rob describes above, when my HPFP failed it went into limp mode and I limped along at 45mph.

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Same symptoms when my high pressure pump failed. The warning lite was accompanied by an alert chime. I limped well over 150 miles, at a max speed of about 50 mph.

·
Registered
330 Posts
pics of where you are seeing these bubbles would help us help you...

Reactions: Anatol
1 - 5 of 5 Posts