Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so as the title says im going to do one of the 2 but not sure what one at the moment. so i was thinking either a full 2.4 liter build with a big rotrex S/C and id like to get 400+ to the wheels. after talking to dave at DDM about it a while back its duable. or the other option rip it all out and drop in an LS3 into the car and get the same power( if not more) and gain the V8 sound and a 6 speed. i already plan to do DC suspention and wilwood brakes to it eaither way so the qustion i have for you guyes is what do you think high HP 2.4 or LS3. please give me your honest opinions.

·
Registered
750 Posts
A stock LS3 is not going to translate to 400+ WHP. More like 365 with drive train loss. So you would have to do some mods to it in order to make 400+. I am just a hugh fan of small displacement motors putting out big HP (i.e. like mine), however you have to ask yourself a couple of questions.

1. How many miles would you like to get out of it? A high strung 4 banger turbo will not be as trouble free as a lightly modded naturally asperated V8.

2. What will the car be used for? Track? Fun? Drag? Just tooling around?

3. What is the cost difference? and does it concern you? If it does, and your 400+ HP number is your main goal, which build will get it done for less?

You know my car. I used parts in my build that are rated at 750HP, however, I wanted to get as much life as I could out of the car, so that's why we are not pushing it to the max. Cars that are pushed within an inch of their build usually don't last long.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tony thank you for the very good points. as far as i know your the only real high HP 2.4 liter around. only differnce i wanna do with mine VS how you did yours was to us a Rotex S/C. i do like the V8 sound its pretty sweet but a bad ass 4 sounds great too. if i do a V8 ill get a used one and build it some to save cost

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Making 400rwhp with either a LS2 or 3 is nothing more than a cam swap away. Intake, headers and tune, my LS2 A6 put down 387hp/378tq. (dyno sheet proof upon request)

Blower engines have to make extra power just to turn the blower, more stress on a 4 banger. Limited performance parts support for a 2.4 vs LSx, want to make over 550, heads and stroker kit on 93 octane.

If money is a concern, would suggest not doing either, take your estimate then add another 50% into for those things you didn't think about. Big projects take on a life of their own.

Two ways of going fast, cubic inches or cubic dollars.

What is your goal, something fast on the street/track or a dyno queen?

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Yes, an old argument played out here many times. As I have said before, I think the best bet is to get the DIY kit from Werks and find good, used donor parts -- LS3 and T56, etc. Maybe that is not as easy as I'm thinking, but there must be a lot of those out there with all the Vettes and Camaros on the road.

If you can find a good mechanic to do the install (or better yet, a friend), I think there is a lot of money to be saved on the 18-20K quoted for turnkey setups.

As for power, I'd think the LS3 should hit close to 400 at the wheels with a clean intake, exhaust and tune, shouldn't it?

My setup is a bit extreme, and as I have said the extra 126 whp I have over 400 is really not usable much anyway -- more of a conversation piece.

Anyway, all fun for sure

1 - 7 of 7 Posts