Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't ever seen this happen to me before, but on some days if I'm driving, when I shift into neutral coming to a stop, the engine RPM will drop down to 1200-1500 RPM, hover there for a few seconds, then drop down to a more normal speed of ~900 RPM. Sometimes its a high as like 1750 but that only occurred one time.

Generally seems to happen when its warmer outside, or when I'm driving in a traffic jam/around town.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Do I have a problem that needs looking after? Thank you all!!!

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
This is not normal behavior.

No codes?

I would consider doing a few simple things like cleaning the MAF sensor and making sure that you dont have any leaks on the intake that might be affecting the air density readings.

I see this occasionally and do a reboot of my car. That has always helped thus far.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I had something similar like this happen to me when I had my 2.4 but it was because I had just cleaned the Throttle Body. It gets pretty guncked up on the surface of the butterfly opening. After I was done for about 2 weeks it kept getting stuck open when I came to a stop, it would hover at around the same RPMs you described and then drop off. It was the corners of the butterfly rod/shaft that were sticking. After 2 weeks it disapeared. Check your TB. Make sure it's clean and bot guncked up.

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
I had something similar like this happen to me when I had my 2.4 but it was because I had just cleaned the Throttle Body. It gets pretty guncked up on the surface of the butterfly opening. After I was done for about 2 weeks it kept getting stuck open when I came to a stop, it would hover at around the same RPMs you described and then drop off. It was the corners of the butterfly rod/shaft that were sticking. After 2 weeks it disapeared. Check your TB. Make sure it's clean and bot guncked up.
Good recommendation RD.:agree:

·
Registered
263 Posts
I agree with red devil. Turn your ignition on and jam a bar between the gas and the seat to keep the TB open. If its gunked up, hit it with some carb clean an a small wire brush. Try to spray some carb clean in the IAC too. You may have to give it some gas to start it after since it'll be pretty loaded up

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
I would check the TB also, but this could just be an A/C on-off situation (i.e. normal). When the compressor switches on, the ECM raises the idle to account for the load. You say it happens when it's warm - is the A/C on? If so, try turning it off and see if it happens.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Good call TS, I totally forgot about the A/C load

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Yep. Friggin' TS aced us again. As soon as I read "warm weather" I thought A/C.

The throttle plate would have been my next spot to check.

A couple of simple things to check/do but will likely take care of it.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I had that, but last time it was my fault, my CAI clamp was not tight enough car was breathing air straight. Reinstalled CAI, then let car straighten it out itself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts