Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This week, on a road trip, my 98 GXP abruptly lost power, displayed the engine lite, and "engine power reduced" warning. I limped to nearest GM dealer. Diagnosed as internal failure of the high pressure fuel pump. Replacement was very expensive. My questions....
Is this failure common in the GXP? My car had only 20,400 miles, and it I'd NEVER driven very hard.
Any information on high pressure fuel pump failure will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
This week, on a road trip, my 98 GXP abruptly lost power, displayed the engine lite, and "engine power reduced" warning. I limped to nearest GM dealer. Diagnosed as internal failure of the high pressure fuel pump. Replacement was very expensive. My questions....
Is this failure common in the GXP? My car had only 20,400 miles, and it I'd NEVER driven very hard.
Any information on high pressure fuel pump failure will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I wouldn't call it very common, but more people are beginning to report it, so it may be more time related than mileage related.

YMMV

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
My HPFP failed about one year ago at approx 55,000 mi. Got it fixed under extended warranty. No trouble since.

Yogi

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
Mine failed in August 2013. Extended warranty ran out in September 2013. I was fully covered so it worked out nicely.

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lucky you, N.S. I was in the middle of nowhere (really) and the repair cost me a fortune. How many miles did you have when it failed?

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
Lucky you, N.S. I was in the middle of nowhere (really) and the repair cost me a fortune. How many miles did you have when it failed?
I was around 30,000 miles. I found a dealership and they checked the code. They said it was something to do with the fuel system. They could not do much as they were closing up for the weekend. The tech thought I would be ok to make it home but to stay off the highway as my top sped was 60 mph. Two hours away from home took 4 hours. Made it back safe and then on Monday got her to the dealership. Would of cost around $1200 so the extended warranty paid off huge and keeping my mods to GMPP stuff helped. First thing they asked my mechanic was about mods. He was able to tell straight out that he installed the GMPP tune and CAI. I was golden or should I say mean yellow.:willy:

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like my situation. Me only engine mod is the GMPP tune, also. And, the fix was over $1150. I wonder how many of these fail?

·
Registered
333 Posts
My HPFP failed on my 07 GXP at around 35K miles. It seems that failure frequency increases if you run the car on the bottom quarter of the fuel tank. That seems to be what happened to me. I stupidly ran it to the fuel warning light twice in two tanks of fuel. Right after the second time, the HPFP bit the dust. Fortunately I limped home and paid $380 for the new pump, replacing the pump myself. The local 'stealership' wanted $800+ for the pump, so I ordered one from GMPartsdirect.com for much less. Oh, and I never run less than 1/4 tank.

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good advice on letting the gas level get low. I will heed it in future. I had run my tank below a quarter on the previous leg of my trip. Live and learn.

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
We had one fail on our trip to the Nationals. Dave bought a replacement from a dealer in Boise so charged him full retail, $600.

With labor that should bring the price to the GM standard price of $850

We had one changed at a Denver area dealer and it was $1000

I checked and the online price for a pump is about $300

Having watched Dr Dave change one, I am confident any competent home mechanic can change it out. The only tricky part is releasing the pressure which involves releasing a small amount of fuel.

I plan on picking up a spree pump for the club can have one on long trips or ?.

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
We watched Doctor Dave do the swap along side the road in about 20 minutes. You can get detailed instructions from him or talk with DaveOC he has an online shop manual that will have detailed procedures.

Basically what DDM Dave did was pull off the engine cover, remove the wiper arms, pull off the plastic cowel cover, crack the connector on the high pressure side of the fuel pump enough to let the pressure bleed off. Its at over 2000 psi and is really the only challenging part of the process. Fuel will come out so you might want to be prepared with a pan to catch the gas so you can dispose of it. Once the pressure is bled off, disconnect the bad pump, install the good pump, torque everything down, put it back together and turn it over to refill the HPFP and you are good to go.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Rob is correct, it isn't that hard. My addition to Rob's list is to make sure and order the high pressure fuel line between the pump and fuel rail when you order the pump. That part is supposedly not reusable. It has a onetime crush seal which may not seal properly if reused. You don't want fuel spraying around the engine compartment at a later date.

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
That is a great idea. I dont think Dave used a new one but he probably did not have one with him. He may have been lucky but installing a new line is a great idea.

·
Registered
333 Posts
That is a great idea. I dont think Dave used a new one but he probably did not have one with him. He may have been lucky but installing a new line is a great idea.
The strange thing (maybe annoying) is even though the official GM service manual insists the high pressure fuel line must be replaced with the pump, they don't offer it as part of the pump assembly. Separate part numbers. As I recall too, I needed to find the part number by the exploded diagram, because the part description was weird.

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
GM does call for the high pressure line to be replaced, however we have regularly re-used it without any leaking issues. When we changed the high pressure fuel pump on the side of the road in no where Utah on the way to nationals, we used the stock line without replacing it, no leaks that I am aware of.

If you are replacing the high pressure fuel pump, removing the plastic cowl definitely makes it easier and is highly suggested. After that it is a pretty straight forward swap.

Hope that helps,
Dave

1 - 20 of 21 Posts