Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post here what kind of options you think will be available on the HiPo version of the Solstice...

I am hopeing for..
HID Lights
6 speed manual
6 speed SMG(like) transmission
and 240+ Hp and 200+ tq

what do you guys want??

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
If I was going to be getting a Solstice GXP I'd want it to have the following, and pretty much only the following;
  • At least 240 HP and 240 lbs-ft
  • The dual exhaust we've seen
  • brake cooling ducts
  • upgraded front facia with a chin spoiler
  • the little spoiler of the Sky RL
  • upgraded brakes and rotors
  • upgraded suspension
  • Special two tone embroidered race seats
HIDs would be nice but I don't need them. Same with a 6MT, would be nice but it'll only help on the highways for better fuel economy.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I doubt we will suddenly see a lot of expensive convenience features on the car that are not available on the base car. It still goes against the car’s affordable nature, and would move it up towards the rumored Saturn Sky Redline. I think that car has more of a chance for things like HID lighting and such, to go along with it’s premium position.

For me, I think the best thing to do for a HiPo Solstice is keep the added upgrades, at least on the base model, as few as possible. Go with the new engine, upgrade the suspension/brakes/tires. Make the LSD standard, and that is it. Raise the price a few grand, but try to get a 240 or so HP Solstice in the hands of buyers for under $23,000-$24,000, and keep a cap of around $28,000 or so on a fully loaded turbo Sol. The options could basically be the same, radios, wheel choices, leather.

·
Registered
844 Posts
What he said :agree:

The images are licensed so I won't cut and paste them here.

But it does show close ups of the engine, yes, hood up, on one of the test mules.

Dual exhausts look to be standard for the GXP/HiPo Solstice, 240 HP, maybe a 6 speed (fingers crossed), revised front fascia (not sure what this will do to the car's gorgeous looks) and likely more weight and more money required to buy this version.

I hope GM has some sort of announcement or official unveiling of the GXP Solstice at SEMA in the fall, and declares when we can order/buy it. I am hoping for MY 2007 to arrive late 2006, but I wouldnt be surprised if it arrives in CY 2007.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know there is another thread with the pictures of the prototype. This thread is for what you would want in options for the turbo version of the Solstice/Sky.

·
Registered
263 Posts
psycho-squirrel said:
What he said :agree:

The images are licensed so I won't cut and paste them here.

But it does show close ups of the engine, yes, hood up, on one of the test mules.

Dual exhausts look to be standard for the GXP/HiPo Solstice, 240 HP, maybe a 6 speed (fingers crossed), revised front fascia (not sure what this will do to the car's gorgeous looks) and likely more weight and more money required to buy this version.

I hope GM has some sort of announcement or official unveiling of the GXP Solstice at SEMA in the fall, and declares when we can order/buy it. I am hoping for MY 2007 to arrive late 2006, but I wouldnt be surprised if it arrives in CY 2007.
Official presentation of the Solstice GXP will be at the 2006 NAIAS show in Detroit. Also, the Sky redline will be making it's debut as well.

·
Registered
281 Posts
HID lights would be nice, hopefully the aftermarket will tackle this if GM doesn't. Little things like HIDs and LED taillights would bring some class to the Solstice, and make it a bit more current.

I think I'd appreciate a six-speed most, though.

·
Registered
854 Posts
variable valve timing

Of course I'm going to buy the turbo version, been waiting since 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo for another turbo roadster, this will be it!

Hope they find a way to go turbo AND keep variable valve timing (unlikely though).

·
Registered
139 Posts
hmmm what options do i want... a cd player and ac/heat and nothing else. i just want it to weigh around 2200 pounds. my option is take everything that doesnt need to be in there out.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Personally, I'd like to see one with an aluminum frame like the Corvette Z06 has. Trim off ~120lb and start from there. Kinda 'spensive for a car like the Solstice though.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I'm with ddecart,

since the hood and decklid are likely steel - CF the MF'rs!!!! Another 60 lbs easy - prolly more like double that.

CF hardtop - right from the factory. Get the thing waaay down to fighting weight...

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Much rather have the 120 pounds of extra weight riding in the passenger seat where it's removable ("Honey, they won't allow me to take a passenger on the race course. Sorry.") But the total cost of all three aftermarket accessories might be beyond my budget. Might have to settle for just the hood and deck. :)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Assuming they can keep the VVT for the turbo version (why wouldn't you be able to keep it?), why would you need a 6 speed? The torque curve on this motor doesn't need 6 gears. And a turbo will just re-inforce that same torque curve.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
stonebreaker said:
Assuming they can keep the VVT for the turbo version (why wouldn't you be able to keep it?), why would you need a 6 speed? The torque curve on this motor doesn't need 6 gears. And a turbo will just re-inforce that same torque curve.
I think a lot of people would like the 6-speed for an even taller OD gear for better fuel economy on the higheway.

·
Registered
446 Posts
brentil said:
I think a lot of people would like the 6-speed for an even taller OD gear for better fuel economy on the higheway.
Well, 5th gear is already .73, so the only option is really the .50 OD 6th gear (assuming they use the T56). With a 'standard' 26" tire diameter, that works out to roughly 42" of travel per engine rotation, which translates to about 1500 rpm at 60 mph. Even using the alternate .62 OD ratio on the T56, that still comes out to 1875 rpm at 60 mph, which is just about what my impala turned stock. I guess that would work. Now you've made me get out the Desktop Drag to see what happens before I can get back to work!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts