Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all of you who have your cars and have been driving with the top down; I have a question. Have you ever been hit by a stone that came over the windshield? This sounds crazy, but I have been hit on the top of my forehead TWICE by stones kicked up by other cars which come over the windshield (without hitting the car) and clipping me on the forehead. There was adequate space between me and the car ahead, which probably didn't help. The stones have cleared the windshield without even touching it. I'm only 5'-11" so I don't "stick" up above the windshield. I drive with my seat back fairly vertical but again I'm below the top of the windshield. It seems crazy so I thought I'd check to see if anyone else has experiencee the same problem. Aerodynamics seem to be working against me on this issue. Maybe the car's shape will help with all stones kicked up by other cars and minimize stone chips. It's a hope. I'm going to start wearing a hat more to protect myself. :lol:

·
Registered
895 Posts
Ex-Miata Man said:
To all of you who have your cars and have been driving with the top down; I have a question. Have you ever been hit by a stone that came over the windshield? This sounds crazy, but I have been hit on the top of my forehead TWICE by stones kicked up by other cars which come over the windshield (without hitting the car) and clipping me on the forehead. There was adequate space between me and the car ahead, which probably didn't help. The stones have cleared the windshield without even touching it. I'm only 5'-11" so I don't "stick" up above the windshield. I drive with my seat back fairly vertical but again I'm below the top of the windshield. It seems crazy so I thought I'd check to see if anyone else has experiencee the same problem. Aerodynamics seem to be working against me on this issue. Maybe the car's shape will help with all stones kicked up by other cars and minimize stone chips. It's a hope. I'm going to start wearing a hat more to protect myself. :lol:
Has lightning ever been an issue for you?
Hit not once but twice hmmm. I wouldn't waste your money on any lotery tickets. Chances are pretty good you won't ever win. :lol:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Actually there has been documented cases of serious injury, blinded, and even killed drivers of convertibles that were hit by flying projectiles. Never follow anyone closely and always where protective eyewear when motoring with the top down.

·
Registered
340 Posts
You might have to consider wearing a goalie mask if this continues. :lol:

·
Registered
118 Posts
solkool said:
Why not just attach the 3m clear bra to your forehead every time you drive? :jester:

Very Funny stuff :lol:

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
ESERIES3 said:
Actually there has been documented cases of serious injury, blinded, and even killed drivers of convertibles that were hit by flying projectiles. Never follow anyone closely and always where protective eyewear when motoring with the top down.
How tall were these people? I always sit low in cars... but then again, I'm short.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
ESERIES3 said:
That's interesting because I have been driving a convertible for 30 years and have never had anything hit me. I did hit a dove once (accidently!) and a bunch of feathers flew in and hit me in the face. It didn't hurt but it was kinda nasty!

·
Registered
895 Posts
ESERIES3 said:
Never follow anyone closely and always where protective eyewear when motoring with the top down.
Always wait an hour after eating before you go swimming and never run with scissors. :jester:

I am soory. I know this could be serious. One of the reasons I am getting this cool car is to enjoy my life while I am able. I try to live like I am dying, which we all are. I have lived with people in my life that are always worried. Warning me costantly about all the possible things that could happen if I did this or that. They are "glass half empty" people. I try not to be foolish or ignorant of potential problems but I do not take every precaution against all possible situations. If it happens then it happens. If it does not happen I never hear "I was wrong" from the people who warned me. If it does happen then for sure I will hear "I told you so :nono: " from them.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Could it have something to do with the pattern of the air flow? I can't recall being hit by anything in the 5 years that I owned an E-type roadster. Have you been hit in your former Miata?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Editguy said:
Better your head than the windshield! :D
Yeah, it takes 15 days to get a windshield through GM parts. :willy:

·
Registered
340 Posts
15 years of Miata driving and only an occasional bug. A little more common to get nailed with road debri in Wrangler. Getting hit with stone twice in one month in the relatively enclosed Solstice cockpit is just plain bizarre. Probably will never happen again. :yesnod:

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
orlando said:
Always wait an hour after eating before you go swimming and never run with scissors. :jester:
You forgot the warning: don't waterski with a chainsaw. :lol:

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Complete the hot roadster picture, get a helmet! All the years I drove a roadster or convertible, I have never been hit anywhere other than the left arm that was on the door rail. Plenty of bugs in the faceshield on a bike though, and if they hit bare skin they hurt.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This has been crazy guys, and girls. I owned a Triumph Spitfire for two years, a Chevy Impala for three years , a Miata for four years and a Solstice for two month. All were, and are, convertibles. The Sol is the only vehicle where I've been hit by debris. It's really crazy. I like the idea about having my forehead covered with the clear 3M material but I can't find a local installer. :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts