Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AUTOMOTIVE NEWS EMAIL ALERT

Product chief Phil Martens leaves Ford Motor Co.

Amy Wilson

Phil Martens, Ford Motor Co.'s head of production creation for North America, is leaving the company, sources said Monday afternoon.

Matt DeMars, Ford's vice president of North American vehicle operations, is also leaving the company.

"I can confirm that we've received correspondence from each of them indicating their intention to leave," Ford spokesman Oscar Suris said Monday.

In a statement, the automaker said: "Bill Ford and Mark Fields have made an assessment of the management team in the Americas and we expect they will review certain leadership changes with our board in the very near future. We would not be surprised if some people elect to leave Ford Motor Co. in the meantime. If they choose to do that, that is of course their decision."

Martens, 45, started at Ford in 1987. He was named to his current post, group vice president of product creation, on Oct. 1, 2003.

In 1999 he was assigned to Mazda Motor Corp. to head product planning and development. There he led the redesign of the RX-8 sports car and creation of the Mazda6 sedan.

·
Registered
403 Posts
It seems to me that they could feel the winds of change blowing and decided to leave on their own terms, rather than wait and try their luck with a different Board at Ford.

Not sure I'd go with the sinking ship analogy either, as these men are not rats.

(For the record, I just purchased a 2006 Mustang GT after GM pulled out of the overseas military car sales program and zeroed out any Solstice allocations to deployed US military.)

·
Registered
819 Posts
Frosty,

Glad to hear you got a GT. It is too bad the whole Solstice thing failed for our men in uniform! You all deserve the best that we can give.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Frosty said:
It seems to me that they could feel the winds of change blowing and decided to leave on their own terms, rather than wait and try their luck with a different Board at Ford.

Not sure I'd go with the sinking ship analogy either, as these men are not rats.

(For the record, I just purchased a 2006 Mustang GT after GM pulled out of the overseas military car sales program and zeroed out any Solstice allocations to deployed US military.)
I never said they were rats...... I meant it like if I was on a sinking ship I would be looking for a way off...

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
They may have been told it was best if they fell on their own sword and announce their resignations to save face, because they were going to be out the door one way or the other anyway.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fformula88 said:
They may have been told it was best if they fell on their own sword and announce their resignations to save face, because they were going to be out the door one way or the other anyway.
well that could be the case too, but I have seen in other companys some Highly placed people can see things on the downslide so they leave early so they will not be associated with the downfall. It happened with my company, but thank goodness cooler heads prevailed and we finally pulled ourselves out of the brink or extinction...

·
5,600 Posts
crawdadsolstice said:
Frosty,

It is too bad the whole Solstice thing failed for our men in uniform! You all deserve the best that we can give.
:agree:

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
Frosty said:

Frosty,

You can PM me to keep it off the thread, but I am curious what ENCS sold the GT to you for. I received a final email from Pontiac and I do not see any Sols bring offered to ENCS, any time soon. :devil:

I appreciate any information that you can send :thumbs: , because I am still pissed off with the Baghdad sales team (and it is getting busy here with the elections this week). :willy:

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
thecarconnection.com

Martens Quits Ford

Old rivalries apparently die hard at Ford MotorCo. Ford confirmed Monday that two key executive are quitting. Both Phil Martens, who had played a prominent role in developing the company's future product plan, and Matt DeMars have informed company officials that they plan to leave the automaker. Oscar Suris, Ford spokesman, confirmed Monday that Ford had received correspondence from Martens, the company's vice president for product creation, and DeMars, vice president for vehicle operations, announcing their intentions to leave. Suris said Bill Ford, the automaker's chairman and chief executive officer, and Mark Fields, Ford's president for the Americas, have assessed the company's management team in North and South America. "We expect they will review certain leadership changes with our board in the very near future," Suris said in a prepared statement. "We would not be surprised if some people elect to leave Ford Motor Co. in the meantime. If they choose to do that, that is of course their decision," Suris said. Martens and Fields reportedly had clashed earlier in their careers when they were both working at Mazda, Ford's Japanese affiliate. -Joe Szczesny

Sounds more like, "I'll quit before I let that SOB be my boss"

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
:lol:
Classic66vair said:
well that could be the case too, but I have seen in other companys some Highly placed people can see things on the downslide so they leave early so they will not be associated with the downfall. It happened with my company, but thank goodness cooler heads prevailed and we finally pulled ourselves out of the brink or extinction...
Then they are too late! :glol:

LBJay may have it, based on that writeup.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Frosty said:
For the record, I just purchased a 2006 Mustang GT...
The plant is just a couple miles up the road from my house (I also have high school buddies that work there) - so, Thanks :thumbs:

Just curious, is this for when you get home or are you having it shipped overseas?

·
Registered
403 Posts
MAKsys said:
The plant is just a couple miles up the road from my house (I also have high school buddies that work there) - so, Thanks :thumbs:

Just curious, is this for when you get home or are you having it shipped overseas?
I'm always glad to help.

I am getting my Mustang GT shipped to me in England, as I will stationed overseas until at least 2009.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LBJay said:
thecarconnection.com

Sounds more like, "I'll quit before I let that SOB be my boss"
:agree: sounds like you hit the nail on the head...

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Frosty said:
I am getting my Mustang GT shipped to me in England...
I imagine it will be pretty rare over there - should be a lot of fun.

Next time I think of it, I'll try to snap a few pics of the plant and send them to you. There is a large lot on the south side of the plant they use as a holding area (not sure if there are any Mustangs in it right now - but I'll grab a pic if there are).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts