Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newly announced Mazda sports car model. They released only a silhouette.

Hmm.... could it be? Damn it! I think we've been highjacked!

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
LOL

Cool

Mazda Motor Corporation will hold the world premiere of a new sports car concept model at the 2015 Tokyo Motor Show, which runs from October 30 through November 8.*1 A total of 14 models will be on display at the Mazda stand, including crossover concept Mazda KOERU making its first appearance in Japan, two racing-spec Mazda Roadsters (known as Mazda MX-5 outside Japan) and the Cosmo Sport (110S outside Japan), first introduced in 1967.

The design of the sports car concept to be unveiled in Tokyo is modern but maintains a sense of lineage and authenticity, appearing almost to condense Mazda's entire history of sports car development into a single model.

In line with the company's theme for the Tokyo Motor Show this year, "Accelerate toward our dreams," Mazda will make an appeal for the brand's unique approach to driving pleasure. In addition to the sports car concept, Mazda KOERU will be on display along with new-generation models featuring SKYACTIV Technologies and KODO—Soul of Motion design. A motor sports exhibit will feature racing-spec Roadsters and the Cosmo Sport will complement a heritage display showing Mazda's history of convention-defying engineering.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
It sure piqued my interest when I saw it today. Wonder if it could be a Miata variation? Just read that Mazda is still working on their Wankel, so I suppose there's a chance it could be shown w/one. Definitely looking forward to the reveal.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
I think it's aimed at the FRS/BRZ crowd.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
I sometimes think that Mazda deserves credit for sticking with the traditional sports car. While my first experience with the Miata wasn't positive - too small - I'm sure that it is better today. There is still room in the market for a GXP remake but I doubt that we will see anyone make this car (for under $50K).

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
It's the RX9.... they were talking about releasing a prototype this fall at the Detroit Auto Show in January. They didn't have any pics, just said that Mazda would be "re-inventing" themselves and making cars like the Mazda 6 that the public wanted. I think they fell short on the Miata, but I've never been a Miata fan because they are so grossly under-powered. http://www.topspeed.com/cars/mazda-rx-9/ke3713.html

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
You have to wonder if it will be a two-seater and RWD. Also wonder if interest in entry-level two-seaters is returning. We have Miata, now Fiat 124, there's a rumor of small Honda sports car, and I another one that I can't think of at the moment. Oh yeah, the Nissan Z rumors are all over the map, one is a return to basics, and another rumor has it turning into a high-performance small SUV. :willy:

Just read this official Mazda statement:
"The design of the sports car concept to be unveiled in Tokyo is modern but maintains a sense of lineage and authenticity, appearing almost to condense Mazda's entire history of sports car development into a single model."

If I'm understanding this correctly it should at the very least be RWD.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You have to wonder if it will be a two-seater and RWD. Also wonder if interest in entry-level two-seaters is returning. We have Miata, now Fiat 124, there's a rumor of small Honda sports car, and I another one that I can't think of at the moment. Oh yeah, the Nissan Z rumors are all over the map, one is a return to basics, and another rumor has it turning into a high-performance small SUV. :willy:
It's a bit ironic.

When I was a kid, the market for sports cars was largely to young men (TRs, MGs) and young women (Alpines, Midgets, Spitfires), with the more expensive larger ones (Jags) being left to the older businessmen.

Today, the market for sports cars seems to have largely shifted to us old farts for use as a fun car rather than as a daily driver. I have several older clients that have bought Miatas just to have fun with in sunny days.

It would be nice to think that there will be more of a selection out there in the future, but the sports car niche will always be a small one and they never seem to make much money with it (Miata perhaps, aside).

The young kids all seem intent on having no car or having a Japanese box to drive around in.....:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,999 Posts
It's a bit ironic.

When I was a kid, the market for sports cars was largely to young men (TRs, MGs) and young women (Alpines, Midgets, Spitfires), with the more expensive larger ones (Jags) being left to the older businessmen.
Never ever saw a woman driving an Alpine. Not even in France. Where do I find these ladies ???

These days young people do not need a car to be cool, just the newest smartphone, 1000 facebooks friends and share on twitter with the world what you had for dinner.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That would be Sunbeam Alpine, not the French Alpine!

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Notey.com
An all-new Mazda sports car concept will debut at the 2015 Tokyo motor show.

As CarAdvice predicted recently, the new concept model – teased above – will feature a sleek coupe body and could well be a precursor to a new-generation rotary-powered coupe.

However, it seems this may not be the RX-8 successor that we’ve been thinking of – instead, it appears more likely that this model will be the spiritual successor to the Mazda Cosmo, a rotary-powered grand tourer coupe the brand sold in some markets between 1967 and 1996.

According to a release from the brand, “the design of the sports car concept to be unveiled in Tokyo is modern but maintains a sense of lineage and authenticity, appearing almost to condense Mazda’s entire history of sports car development into a single model”.

The new concept car is said to be in line with the Japanese brand’s theme for its home ground motor show, which for 2015 is “Accelerate toward our dreams”.

Mazda says the show will highlight “the brand’s unique approach to driving pleasure”, while a release from the brand claims it will showcase the company’s “history of convention-defying engineering”.

Cosmo 110S

The sports car concept will be shown alongside a pair of racing-spec Mazda MX-5 models, as well as a classic Cosmo 110S (pictured above).

The Cosmo was launched in 1967 – with a rotary engine! – so it seems pretty clear what to expect the new sports car to be when it debuts at the 2015 Tokyo motor show.

Stay tuned for more news on the Mazda sports car concept as it comes to hand.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Back in the 70s, when they started using the Wankel rotary engine, I bought stock in the parent company at the time, Toyo Kogyo. Lost about half of what I invested.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I wanted a 3rd generation really bad, but the negativity regarding the Wankel engine kept me from buying. I think the 3rd Gen may turn into, or is already heading, into being a mainstream collectible.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've always been intrigued about the wenkel engines but couldn't say I've been willing to take it on.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Article (file under Rumor Mill)
Could This Be the Mystery Mazda Sportscar Concept for Tokyo? We Hope So! - autoevolution
Excerpt:
At the very end of September, Mazda teased the atomic bomb they plant to drop on Tokyo. The only image released at the time clearly showed a two-door coupe with some retro styling. But what if we told you we may have a couple of images of the rumored RX-7 successor, images that Mazda doesn't want you to see?

An electric turbocharger will supposedly be used to add torque at the lower end of the rev range

Image 1
Could This Be the Mystery Mazda Sportscar Concept for Tokyo? We Hope So! - autoevolution

Image 2

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks like a Jag from the rear but more generic from the front.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts