Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,412 Posts
Thanks for the response.
I know I made an offer a few months back for 36K but he refuse it.
I have to agree with King_Oka post about you sbindley.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Update

My guy out here, Joe Cordes, at Cordes Performance Racing has had the coupe for some tweaks to make the street driving a little more compliant.

He softened the settings on the coilovers a couple notches and raised the ride height a half an inch.

He found a place where the exhaust manifold was rubbing and redid that to clear.

We're putting in a new clutch that is much quieter, with an easier pedal feel as well as a new short throw shifter -- the six speed should behave much better with far less noise/chatter and handle the power easily.

Finally, Joe's tuner, Nic, had been trying to work with the existing tune without success and simply erased it today and rewrote from scratch. A/F ratios are spot on, car drives much more smoothly and any issues with emissions should be eliminated.

I have not driven it yet as it is in for clutch but hoping to get it back next week.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Tune DOWN to mid 500s!! :drool: ...I feel like my car is fast...what the heck do these 500+ HP solstices feel like?! I wanna ride in one!

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
We dropped the rwhp down 475 and 472 torque - 91 octane, safe for AZ heat, etc. The guys at shop have driven it but I will not until after the new clutch and shifter are in. Can't wait.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Just got the V8 Coupe back after some tweaks and a new tune and it is a different car in so many ways. My guy was having problems dealing with the existing tune and older software, so they just trashed it and rewrote from scratch -- was performed by Nic D, one of the best LS3 tuners in the country.

The car is so smooth and the power delivery is so linear - much more drivable in every gear. It even shifts better with the tune. Can't wait to get the new McLeod clutch (stock pedal feel, no noise/chatter, good for up to 1,000 hp) and short throw shifter installed on 3/3.

Also, no more groaning noises on turns or hard acceleration (from a rubbing exhaust manifold that developed in one spot). With the KW's softened a bit and the ride height raised a half inch, the ride is supple but plenty firm. It just drives perfectly.

Really, I think this little car is one of the great sports cars around. The small changes allow it to be driven harder, yet more easily - the throttle is so smooth that it invites more pedal without worrying about losing it from the original, harder-edged delivery.

(And no disrespect to Dave/Werks - remember, he holds a lot of track records in a Sol Coupe, so his setup is going to be more severe than what I want for my occasional driver. Cutting back the power 40-50 or so rwhp and softening some settings has allowed for a better street driver. For sure, kudos to Werks for building a really special car -- recall that the most of the work was done over a weekend, outside, in a parking lot, in 100+ degree heat.)

BTW, the TA should be shipping soon -- over a year into that build - a new t-top system has been engineered, and it added six months to the process. I'll post some pics when it comes in. AGP twin-turbo on that one. Oh, and against all better judgement, I put the bird on the hood. I just know that, as I pull into meetings with prospective charity car owners and dealers, that silly bird will make people run to the car. Between the charity GXP, the V8 Coupe and the TA, we will drive a lot of interest in the charity car world.

I may bring all three to a Pavillions car show this spring, if any of you AZ folks want to check them out.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
A bit of thread restoration to go with some upgrades to the supercharged V8 Coupe. Here is a hint at some of the interior bits - a Corvette D steering wheel with the Sol trim pieces getting the carbon fiber treatment (as well as the dash and door trim). A front bumper camera is now installed to keep an eye on curbs, etc.

All new T6060 tranny should be in soon as well as new clutch. We already put in a new wiring harness, built from scratch, to go with all new wiring throughout the engine (no splices, no tape anywhere). All new cooling setup and new and better locations and mounts for some of the engine and supercharger accessories. Working on new AC lines as well. The level of detail is incredible -- over 1,000 photos so far.

Looking forward to getting back behind the wheel.

S

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,287 Posts
So tell us more about the tune
Does the cruise and AC work?
How does it do with the BCM?

What tool did he use?

Is this a tune that could be modified for our non supercharged cars?

Do we need to bring the car to Phoenix to get it tuned?

While my car is running well, I'm always open to improvements

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Tune should be the same. It was redone a couple years ago by a local guy and drove really well before it went in for these latest upgrades.

AC always worked great, but we are redoing the lines to a higher quality - no crimps, etc.

Cruise never worked and I never worried about it. Recall this was the live install Werks car and it was built before Ken had figured out cruise for even the 2.4 cars.

Once the custom tranny arrives, things should start moving again.

Oh, I also put a front camera in the grill to help with parking curbs, etc.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
This car will be back on the road soon after languishing with a builder working on it in his spare time -- all new engine wiring, new TR6060 tranny, new cooling setup, new hood. ECU has been converted to EFI Live so a new dyno tune will be done soon. I guess I should have the 11 year old tires checked out as well. A lot of missed deadlines and promises, but supposed to get fresh fluids and startup this week.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hood scoop needed to be reworked to fit over supercharger and new intake after new engine mounts were designed - tossed the old fiberglass scoop and went with a proper steel unit. Pics of some of the new cooling setup as well.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,287 Posts
Let us know how that cooling duct works. I had to modify mine so it pulls air in from in front of the air dam. Had to go study up on engineering of radiator cooling systems. When I ran air in directly similar to the pictures it would not cool.

So you went with EFI live? Is that what Dave is now using? He offered to do migration to that tune for something like half a grand.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Put back together and cleaned up. Hoping for tuning later today. Will report on cooling. Front grill definitely sucking the air in, even at idle. Car did not run terribly hot before, esp given how crowded the engine was with blower, etc. They moved a lot of accessories away from the radiator. Yes, EFI Live was an easy call as the tuning parameters are supposed to be more complete. With no more cables and Ken retired, it was an easy decision after the level of this rebuild. I really like the tuning guy I'm using. Not worried about power, just getting all running as smoothly as possible.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I don't know why the photos are loading sideways, they are correct when I open them.

·
Super Moderator
16,287 Posts
Put back together and cleaned up. Hoping for tuning later today. Will report on cooling. Front grill definitely sucking the air in, even at idle. Car did not run terribly hot before, esp given how crowded the engine was with blower, etc. They moved a lot of accessories away from the radiator. Yes, EFI Live was an easy call as the tuning parameters are supposed to be more complete. With no more cables and Ken retired, it was an easy decision after the level of this rebuild. I really like the tuning guy I'm using. Not worried about power, just getting all running as smoothly as possible.
So this is a 3 year rebuild? That is longer than PunisheR took LOL.

You got it tuned in 2016 then decided to go with a different tune this year? Can you share what the difference between the two is?

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
I had it tuned on old LS-Edit platform in 2014 before we pulled the car off the road to do all the work I listed above. When the EFI Live software became available, it made sense to upgrade and it was tuned from scratch yesterday at Dyno Comp in Scottsdale. Richard at DC spent 4 hours on the dyno and did additional street driving to dial all in. He was astonished with how the car is running and it made 520 rwhp on a very conservative 91 octane tune with the low boost pulley. I can get more info from him as to where he made all the improvements from the LS-Edit tune, but he said they were "major." He also said the intercooler temps are perfect and that the car ran cool, even in the 104 heat here yesterday and with the AC blasting.

I am planning to pick up today and see for myself. There are some interior/stereo bits to clean up and it should be good to go after that. Also, I need new tires -- even with the low mileage, these tires are now 10 years old.

I am looking forward to seeing the new hood in person also, but mostly excited to get it back into the garage as this car has always been a special one and this latest, long journey is now over.

Dyno and sheets below -- I have a bit of video from the dyno but it would not load.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 53 Posts