Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to be able to close my hood by simply letting it gently fall into place and lock on its own with a gentle push. For some reason this morning, I checked the oil, then tried to close the hood, but it required a more effort. It did not simply fall into position and lock with a gentle push? It felt as thought the locking mechanism did not want to accept the latch. I greased the two locking mechanisms with lithium grease, but it did not help? Does anyone have an idea what may be happening here? Many thanks!

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Did you leave something in the way? A rag maybe?

If not, check both latches to verify everything is OK. Seen a couple of folks have had one or other of the latches fail on them.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I'd slowly lower it and make sure the pins line up. you might have leaned on the hood and not noticed and now the alignment is off. I'd clean and grease all the moving parts too.

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Lube on the pivots and latches is all I can think of. The thing is held up by struts and I've NEVER had them stiffen - they always get weaker!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I adjusted the black knobs a bit, but no change? My latches already have a washer under them, so what about the latch mechanism-cold it be culprit? thanks

·
Premium Member
17,538 Posts
Terser is a cable that releases the latches. Check that the release handle is operating well and that the cable is not sticky. If it has been sitting for a while it might be hanging. I have also seen problems with the release handle. People feel around for it and grab the trim piece instead.

Another possibility is the lift cylinders might be holding the hood open due to temperature induced changes or wear.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The cable release is working fine- this is very strange? Don't know what next, other than having the dealer replace every part, which is their usual recommendation. lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts