Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the July issue of Car and Driver magazine, page 34, in an article entitled "Saturn's Stable Filling Up" is a reference to the "European pedestrian laws that mandate a bunch of clearance between the hood and the top of the engine. Since Pontiac's Solstice will be ready before the new regulations take effect, it can be sold unchanged in 2006" (I assume that means in Europe".

I wonder what, if any, affect this will have on design of the Solstice for 2007. :confused Comments?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I think that law is rumored to be one of the issues with Vauxhall's version of the Solstice that's yet to get off the ground.

Personally I just can't stop chuckling at a law designed to change car body shapes to better aid in car/pedestrian collisions...definately an example of goverments with too much time on their hands. Maybe they should have people wrap themselves in bubble-wrap and call them personal air bags :crazy

·
Registered
161 Posts
mceb said:
...Maybe they should have people wrap themselves in bubble-wrap and call them personal air bags :crazy
That is half the solution.
The second half would be to make all cars Nerfmobiles.

I was going to say make the front of the car Nerf, but there is always that chance we might wrecklessly back into one of them there innocent and fragile pedestrians... :rolleyes

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
hoffman said:
In the July issue of Car and Driver

I wonder what, if any, affect this will have on design of the Solstice for 2007. :confused Comments?
From the article, I got the impression that a car that came out prior to those laws was grandfathered in. So as long as the Solstice is not changed, they could keep selling it as is and not meet the new pedestrian regulations. Either that, or the Solstice will meet those regs as is (although it doesn't sound like it based on that article). Either way, they will be able to sell it as is, as I doubt they would bother selling it for one year and discontinuing it, or redesigning it right away.

It might be a case of big brother going overboard. Governments often try to legislate in expensive safety enhancements. Sure making vehicles safer is a good thing, but some of their safety proposals are well past the point of diminishing returns. I do not know what impact Europe expects to see from this, but I would question whether this will save more lives than if they spent the same amount of money elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Not sure if any manufacturer has implimented it yet, but one solution (in theory at least, to my knowledge) is to install sensors in the front bumper to sense pedestrian impacts. When an impact is detected, these sensors trigger actuators attached to the hood at the base of the windshield to actually pop the hood up several inches and absorb some of the energy. Of course this happens about as quickly as an airbag deploys so that the hood is in its deployed position before the pedestrian smacks it. This would be especially easy to impliment on the Solstice, since the hood opens in reverse fashion already!

Here's a link to a Car and Driver column by Patrick Bedard on the subject:

Why new cars won't be looking like boxing gloves

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Ya, I'm sure there's no weight, cost or complexity associated with such a system. :rolleyes

And I'm sure there no additional mysterious idiot lights for such a function to clutter up the already full driver information load.

Idiots!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Is a really old govermnent tactic to propose something so horrible that everyone gets up in arms and then are relieved/passive when what the gov really wants to do is announced.

Kinda like after $2 gas, $1.80 looks cheap.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Roads are a dangerous place and people can't be trusted to look both ways. So ban pedestrians from the roads. It's the only humane thing government can do to save the wobbling bobbling unwashed masses from themselves. It would definately make getting through downtown faster! :jester

·
Registered
161 Posts
AeroDave said:
Roads are a dangerous place and people can't be trusted to look both ways. So ban pedestrians from the roads. It's the only humane thing government can do to save the wobbling bobbling unwashed masses from themselves. It would definately make getting through downtown faster! :jester
:nono AeroDave, you know that we must be all inclusive!
Pedestrians have a right to the road.
Kids can use the road as paved play ground.
People wanting to ride their bikes have a 'right' to the lane.
And if you complain then you aren't sensitive to their needs.

So, like we did today, we drive very slowly with our feet on the brake lined up behind a bicycle going down the middle of 'his lane' in a no passing zone on a highway designed originally to speed our access to distant points...

Hey, but I'm sure he felt good about himself and what he was doing, so that is all that matters... :mad

Sorry about that. I am in a rural area and stuff that might make some sense in a city causes headaches for the rest of us. (Aw, heck. I can't even see it making sense in a city...)

We have narrow roads that many cars and trucks use, but because the state has put up 'share the road' signs and passed a couple of laws the original purpose of the roads becomes secondary to recreational use by people wanting to play...

Maybe I'll feel differently when I can't drive any more. I can get one of those three wheeled bicycles and go into town for groceries... I probably won't hold people up more than an hour or so going and coming... :rant

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
hoffman said:
In the July issue of Car and Driver magazine, page 34, in an article entitled "Saturn's Stable Filling Up" is a reference to the "European pedestrian laws that mandate a bunch of clearance between the hood and the top of the engine. Since Pontiac's Solstice will be ready before the new regulations take effect, it can be sold unchanged in 2006" (I assume that means in Europe".

Interesting, I read this in C&D tonight and it appears that GM is trying to skirt the European law by getting in before the law takes effect (grand-fathered). Saturn gets the "sharp-angled" Lightning concept which works better under US law, Opel (which is German GM?) gets a version of Solstice, Vauxhall (UK) gets a right-handed version of Solstice a year later and is able to avoid the European law because the right-handed version is grand-fathered in as a decendant of the Opel version. Everyone is a winner but Saturn comes up big with the more agressive Lightning originally slated for the UK. Sounds like a plan.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts