Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Things to look for:

1) My hood is rubbing the plastic inner fender well, so much so that the inside of the hood has worn through the paint to bare metal. About a dime size. I'm not sure if taking to the dealer for adjustment will make things better...they might make things worse! I might ask for a bottle of touch up...and then put a piece of felt on the fender well where it rubs.

2) Passenger door sets in from the body...so the leading edge of the door opening sees the rock chips...so that part is chipped up. May need to adjust the door. Driver side door is OK.

I'll try to get pics.

RadRiv...Still love this car! Detailed it again this weekend, put it in the heated garage for the winter....boo hoo!

·
Registered
496 Posts
adjustments

RADRIV said:
Things to look for:

1) My hood is rubbing the plastic inner fender well, so much so that the inside of the hood has worn through the paint to bare metal. About a dime size. I'm not sure if taking to the dealer for adjustment will make things better...they might make things worse! I might ask for a bottle of touch up...and then put a piece of felt on the fender well where it rubs.

2) Passenger door sets in from the body...so the leading edge of the door opening sees the rock chips...so that part is chipped up. May need to adjust the door. Driver side door is OK.

I'll try to get pics.

RadRiv...Still love this car! Detailed it again this weekend, put it in the heated garage for the winter....boo hoo!
I have had mine back to the dealer twice for adjustments to the front hood.
They said they have had to adjust several already. My yellow marker light is sticking out a bit on the passenger side front.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
My hood does the same on the right side. Unfortunately, the fit on the right side front hood has a larger gap than on the left front side. If they raise the right side of the hood to cause it not to hit the insider fender well, the gap would be larger. I'm leaving it alone. It's a $20k car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't have one but...

todd_raleigh said:
My hood does the same on the right side. Unfortunately, the fit on the right side front hood has a larger gap than on the left front side. If they raise the right side of the hood to cause it not to hit the insider fender well, the gap would be larger. I'm leaving it alone. It's a $20k car.
I try to never directly oppose others points of view, since they are just that; but in this case I have to object vehemently! When people become placated with the fact that a product is good enough because of price point then we are falling into the ‘slippery slope’ of taking what they are willing to give. Personally I don’t care if I’m driving a Neon, Lamborghini or anything in between; I think that ever car should be build with exacting standards… accepting less will get you less.

The way I see it is would you care if you parked you car at the “insert location here” and came back to see a huge scratch on the side? Why its only a $20k car?! I’m not flaming or trying to start an argument, but there are those of us that can’t afford the high end stuff and I don’t think we deserve to get ‘sloppy seconds’ because the vehicles aren’t $100lk each.

This is all my 2 cents, but I’m passionate about this.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Kanis said:
I try to never directly oppose others points of view, since they are just that; but in this case I have to object vehemently! When people become placated with the fact that a product is good enough because of price point then we are falling into the ‘slippery slope’ of taking what they are willing to give. Personally I don’t care if I’m driving a Neon, Lamborghini or anything in between; I think that ever car should be build with exacting standards… accepting less will get you less.

The way I see it is would you care if you parked you car at the “insert location here” and came back to see a huge scratch on the side? Why its only a $20k car?! I’m not flaming or trying to start an argument, but there are those of us that can’t afford the high end stuff and I don’t think we deserve to get ‘sloppy seconds’ because the vehicles aren’t $100lk each.

This is all my 2 cents, but I’m passionate about this.
I am with you. If it sucks GM should fix it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
SCISOLSTICE said:
I am with you. If it sucks GM should fix it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I totally agree!

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'm taking my car in tomorrow for the same problem with the hood rubbing on both sides on each plastice wheel well. We are going to try modify the plastic wheel wells. Try to lower them abit first. I'm down to bare metal on the passenger side and about there on the driver's side. I don't want to adjust the hood any, because the lines are perfect. Will post again if we get it worked out.

·
Registered
600 Posts
My dealer called GM today to explain the problem. He was told not to do anything before taking pictures. Then was told that someone would call him right back. In a few minutes, someone from Engineering called. He was suprised, as he expected to hear that that was normal and not to do anything. The Engineering team member said, "This is not what we want on this car." He had my dealer adjust the hood up 2mm. It still looks great and now there seems to be enough room. I'll mark the hood with some dental crayon to see if it still rubs. If I think it's ok, the dealer will repaint the rubbed areas and all is ok. GM/Pontiac really wants this car to be a great car.

I friend of mine bought a new Toyota Tacoma 4x4 this year too. He is having trouble with the rear springs bottoming out with his Honda Forman 4-wheeler in the back. He went back to his dealer and explained the problem. He said the 4-wheeler only weighs 500lbs and the truck is supposed to handle 1100 lbs. The mechanic put it up on the rack, looked at the springs and said, "Look normal to me." I feel we are getting much better attention from GM on this car. I have owned Toyotas since 1983, and still have a 2000 Corolla. I think the customer service is changing rapidly.

Thanks, GM, Bob and all at Solstice!

·
Registered
177 Posts
todd_raleigh said:
Concur but the opposite (the left side gap)... dealer adjusted it but its not perfect... as you say-It's a $20k car

·
Registered
481 Posts
:agree:
if you pay for something you should get what you pay for. plus the service that goes with owning a new car. too bad a lot of businesses are slipping to the policy we got your money, so go take a flying leap at a rolling doughnut. to get customers you got to stand behind your product and word of mouth is your best advertising. sorry on a rant again

·
Registered
25 Posts
How could an engineer not be aware of the quality of his finished product? Don't they ever go visit the production line, and try a few doors and hoods, etc? Doesn't GM use IPTs? What about six-sigma? Or maybe the hydroforming doesn't produce the part tolerance that they really need....Any way that you slice it, it's pretty poor but not unheard of coming from GM. From reading this board, it sounds as though there are quite a few quality problems and ergonomic issues with this car. For example, did they really think that anyone would want to drive around with that bright airbag light glaring? Or did they know it and just not do anything about it?

All that said, this car is too neat looking for me to cancel my order!

·
Registered
600 Posts
MITCH said:
Even though I am known as a real sweet GUY, I can be very fussy!

My 1145 is perfect. I have looked it over from top to bottom, it's perfect.

What are the VIN. Numbers of the cars with Problems? :devil:
Mine is Vin 000778. I drive it over a small very twisted hill to work everyday. I also live 1 mile down a dirt, not gravel, road. I try to only drive it 20mph on the dirt road but can't seem to keep it under 75mph on the twisted road. Makes going in to the office worth it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can anyone with a newer delivery comment on this? Is it getting better with production? Is there any concern with the quality of "third shift" cars?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Back to the issue of the hood rubbing. 35 years ago (i know I'm telling my age) GM would and did state that if you can't see it with the doors, windows, hood and trunk closed there is no issue. That being said GM has made great strides with their products. Pontiac seems to have steeped into the frey by wanting the Solstice to be as near to perfect as a car made on an assembly line. Without the feedback from owners (I'm still waiting) the small tweeks cannot be made. In other words get it fixed. Don't just shoot for the bulls eye, shoot for the center of the bulls eys. GO Pontiac.

·
2,574 Posts
T-man said:
Can anyone with a newer delivery comment on this? Is it getting better with production? Is there any concern with the quality of "third shift" cars?
No third shift till January! ;)

·
2,574 Posts
T-man said:
T man there continue to be many tangible examples of GM's committment to getting this launch to a quality level (corrected paint probs with mules, leaking tops, wind/noise levels etc. all of which are being promptly addressed.) It has also been identified as the primary reason for delivery delays. The example here is an under 1k vehicle. This was a rapid launch so I think it's premature to be measuring defective parts relative to six sigma any time soon. Lets establish a fair baseline. Not trying to start anything here and I share your interest in quality. Am also making this response with my eyes wide open. I'll holler like a banshee if this proves wrong down the line, just feel that patience is prudent at this point. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
birdliver said:
No third shift till January! ;)
Yes, you're right, I read that too. But I think it bears watching when they do start higher production rates.

Proper design for manufacture and assembly (DMA) states that by design the parts should not be able to rub, within the tolerance limits. Again, maybe the hydroformed parts were out of tolerance, but how did they make it to the production line and into a finished product?

·
2,574 Posts
T-man said:
Yes, you're right, I read that too. But I think it bears watching when they do start higher production rates.

Proper design for manufacture and assembly (DMA) states that by design the parts should not be able to rub, within the tolerance limits. Again, maybe the hydroformed parts were out of tolerance, but how did they make it to the production line and into a finished product?
Fair question and I think you are right. Apparently the third shift will be drawn mostly from folks who are laid off and still being paid? Something like that. Anyway these folks will need to be brought up to speed in terms of welding skills etc. Which they say are consideable for building this car. I would have concerns about this going well for sure. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts