Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone have any stock ones for cheap or know where to get just the little retaining clips? They may also be the same for the rear strut on our coupe. I needed to do a little work realigning the hood and IMO there is no way to do this properly without removing the forward pressure of the struts when the hood is down. Unforturnately during reassembly one popped off and never hit the floor....

This is basically what I'm hunting for....it shows the end of a strut that would be pushed onto a ball, and then there is a little metal C clip that gets pushed on and holds the ball and that's what I managed to lose:

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts/end-fixings/plastic/ball-sockets/b1-push-fit-plastic-ball-socket

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hmmm, quiet crowd.....

So has anyone replaced the hood lift supports, and if so, what brand did you use, where bought and part number? Anyone priced them from GM, would assume they would want quite a bit more than can be had at the local parts place.

·
Registered
425 Posts
stock here. I would just go talk to your dealership. should be covered still.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
stock here. I would just go talk to your dealership. should be covered still.
Why would the dealer cover the fact that I was attempting to put the clip on the hood lift support and it slipped off and fell into the engine compartment, never to be found? Unless you are saying they might pitty me and spare me the $80 for a new lift support and just charge me $5 for a clip, but there likely is no part number for the clip, so they can't do that.....

There is actually nothing wrong with my supports, I need a crappy clip to hold it just in case. It's actually on now, I just don't trust it without a retaining clip.
I've spent hours trying to maybe find a "help" part number for little pieces like these at the parts stores, been online at strong arm, sachs and mightylift and no luck finding a part number that can be bought for the little clips.

When you replace supports, don't junk your old clips, just in case....

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Shado - I keep forgetting to check the parts diagram in the shop manual. (I'm at work - manuals are at home.) I'll try to remember and/or look at mine to see if I can find the same or a suitable substitute.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shado - I keep forgetting to check the parts diagram in the shop manual. (I'm at work - manuals are at home.) I'll try to remember and/or look at mine to see if I can find the same or a suitable substitute.
I appreciate that, would be very helpful.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Can't tell from the picture, but your description sounds like an "e-clip". They are available at auto parts stores and hardware stores.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can't tell from the picture, but your description sounds like an "e-clip". They are available at auto parts stores and hardware stores.
no, I wish, e clips are a common retaining clip. This is like a flat band shaped like a C.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
If you call a GM dealer and ask the parts department if they show the clip separately. If they don't, maybe they could pull a clip off of a defective strut in their warranty bin. I know the clip you are describing. Have you tried pulling one off the rear strut to see if it fits?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you call a GM dealer and ask the parts department if they show the clip separately. If they don't, maybe they could pull a clip off of a defective strut in their warranty bin. I know the clip you are describing. Have you tried pulling one off the rear strut to see if it fits?
I have not, but it would be good to know. All I'd really need to do is open the hatch and visually look and I'd know if it's the same.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Checked the repair manual today (was out camping for the weekend!). It does NOT list a separate part number. I checked on my car and it is indeed "special" as in, you don't see something like this in a standard parts bin. Jeff makes a great point - might be able to get a dealer to pull one off of a warranty repair part. Might also visit the possibility that a junk yard may have one.

With the commonizing of parts, I'm going to venture that a supplier makes maybe a dozen or so different lengths of these struts and they're used on many vehicles. The clip is sure to be common. The trick is to find one made by the same supplier and get your hands on a clip.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Look at this item on ebay to see if it has the clips you need. item #380476967551.
That looks like the proper clip, but moreso, for the roughly $10, I need to check if the ext./collapsed length works as I think the 40psi pressure is about right, so this could actually be a spare support strut that gives me the correct clips. Shipping is free and no tax.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That support is too short unfortunately. 17" vs. what is needed about 19", have to see what options they have, most of the manuf. have many many lengths and pressures.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Checked the repair manual today (was out camping for the weekend!). It does NOT list a separate part number. I checked on my car and it is indeed "special" as in, you don't see something like this in a standard parts bin. Jeff makes a great point - might be able to get a dealer to pull one off of a warranty repair part. Might also visit the possibility that a junk yard may have one.

With the commonizing of parts, I'm going to venture that a supplier makes maybe a dozen or so different lengths of these struts and they're used on many vehicles. The clip is sure to be common. The trick is to find one made by the same supplier and get your hands on a clip.
Chickenwire, what is the part number you show from the dealer for the whole hood support strut? I can at least see what they want for one.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Shado - my manual apparently doesn't list part numbers. But I did a little web searching and came across this as a part number for the hood strut: 851687

Search on that and see if you can get some hits.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The clip is the same on the hatch strut, actually it's the same length as the hood strut, just don't know if it's the same psi.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts