Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been kicking this idea around for a while I'm an old timer and remember when the GTO first came out one of things I always loved about the car was the hood tach setup.I'm in the process of ordering one from Summit Racing they carry a repop setup anyone ever done one of these? Also was looking at a set of fenders from Norms the ZR1 style and I thought they looked familiar went back to some of my old car books and they look like 69 Trans Am fenders I like to keep it all in the family.Any issues with fitment on these Thanks!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hi there!

The trickiest part will be finding a proper tach feed signal given the coil packs vs. distributor on older cars. Will the hood tach work with a 4 cylinder?

If you run into trouble, I think this would help. I've never used it but it sounds handy.

Tach Driver, DIS Ignitions - 8913

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have been kicking this idea around for a while I'm an old timer and remember when the GTO first came out one of things I always loved about the car was the hood tach setup.I'm in the process of ordering one from Summit Racing they carry a repop setup anyone ever done one of these? Also was looking at a set of fenders from Norms the ZR1 style and I thought they looked familiar went back to some of my old car books and they look like 69 Trans Am fenders I like to keep it all in the family.Any issues with fitment on these Thanks!
I JUST BOUGHT A SET OF THESE ZR-1 FENDERS...... I will have them soon and will post up some pictures of them on the coupe...... I have talked with norm about these fenders, i'm the 2nd Solstice owner to order them, probably the 1st coupe to have these fenders

·
Premium Member
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jay Thanks for the info, I'm going to be layed up for a while with a heel problem so I'll have some time to do some research.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Say you be better off buying an Autometer electronic tachometer for a 4 and then customizing it to fit into a reproduction hood tach housing, and be prepared for purist hate.

Note: hood tachs had tendency to fog up so GM had to figure a way to filter heat into housing for condensation, and some manufactures have plastic lenses instead of glass. Since both the 2.0/2.4 have dash tachs another option would be to modernize the hood tach idea by sticking a boost gauge in it instead if your cars a turbo, oil gauge if it's not. In other words, make it functional to kill rice comments.

70 71 72 Skylark GS GSX Hood Tachometer Tach w Vent Kit | eBay

1 - 5 of 5 Posts