Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've lurked the forums for a bit and figured I'd add my two cents.

First, I had my eye on this car since the Philly Inquirer first blurbed about it a few years ago. That was in later Summer of 2003 I believe. I immediately thought the lines looked like Mr. Shelby's Cobra.

But, 2006 model year was longer than I wanted to wait.

Since I was in the market for something sooner, I picked up a Mazdaspeed Miata instead. As an aside, I think the HP/Weight comparison chart that shows up in the FAQ link (well done to whomever put that together) should include the MSMiata since the weight/HP ratio is about 13.7.

That said, I'm really excited about both the Solstice and the Sky. Nearly all of the die-hard Miata guys I talk to are as well...we're all hoping GM gets it right because it will be good for the roadster market. The Fiero is the car I think about (another car I really liked based on lines but didn't own) when I get concerned about Pontiac problems.

Can't wait to drive the car! I may have to pick one up to go into my fleet next to the MSM given such a great price.

matt

·
Registered
527 Posts
:cheers: Welcome to the forum!

I believe your concerns are common, but in the end I think we'll all end up with great cars. I've always been a fan of the Monster Miata's, but being a GM guy I'm shooting for a Smokin' Solstice and a Savage Sky...

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Welcome Matt! I'm glad you decided to stop lurking and throw your opinions into the ring! :cool: You are our second MSMiata owner on the forum too. Look for Rodeo, he just bought one a month or so ago to hold him over! :lol:

There have been a ton of concerns regarding the quality of the Sol since it is a GM product. GM earned its poor reputation, but it has also done something about it and within the last few years has made huge strides improving their quality and reliability. Hopefully the Sol will help get the word out and begin to turn the poor quality reputation around!

You'll find plenty of Fiero enthusiasts here too, myself included. I am not going to defend all of its quality issues, there were some. However, the development of the two cars has been very different in key areas that influence quality, and over 20 years has passed since the Fiero was designed. I don't see a repeat happening!

·
4,592 Posts
fF88 said:
Look for Rodeo, he just bought one a month or so ago to hold him over!
Rodeo here! A fellow MSMer who seeks a Sol shoud all work out with it?

Matt123 said:
I've lurked the forums for a bit and figured I'd add my two cents.

First, I had my eye on this car since the Philly Inquirer first blurbed about it a few years ago. That was in later Summer of 2003 I believe. I immediately thought the lines looked like Mr. Shelby's Cobra.

But, 2006 model year was longer than I wanted to wait.

Since I was in the market for something sooner, I picked up a Mazdaspeed Miata instead. As an aside, I think the HP/Weight comparison chart that shows up in the FAQ link (well done to whomever put that together) should include the MSMiata since the weight/HP ratio is about 13.7.

That said, I'm really excited about both the Solstice and the Sky. Nearly all of the die-hard Miata guys I talk to are as well...we're all hoping GM gets it right because it will be good for the roadster market. The Fiero is the car I think about (another car I really liked based on lines but didn't own) when I get concerned about Pontiac problems.

Can't wait to drive the car! I may have to pick one up to go into my fleet next to the MSM given such a great price.

matt
Welcome Matt!

two questions:

1) which color MSM?
2) have you signed up yet for the MSM exlusive forum at http://mazda-speed.com/forum2/ ? If not, go on over and say hello, it's growing inot a forum almost as good as this one! If you go, say hi to Greg! :)

RODEO

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Rodeo,

I bought a Ti MSM with cloth seats, an 04. I'm already on the forum you mentioned as well as miata.net.

Since I committed to the MSM, I won't be selling it.

But, I am a car enthusiast not a fanboy. If the car looks good and meets its intended purpose, I'm all over it. :yesnod:

I love the look of the Solstice and Sky and hope their on-road performance and reliability are up to snuff. Truthfully, while I love my MSM, I'd give the nod to the Solstice on pure lines alone.

·
4,592 Posts
Matt123 said:
Hi Rodeo,

I bought a Ti MSM with cloth seats, an 04.
Nice choice Matt:)

Now, let's see how the Sol comes along!

RODEO

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Hi Matt, welcome. If someone can save me the trouble of posting the MSM stats I'd be glad to update that chart. Here's the link: Roadster Compare

Rodeo, did you make that forum?

·
4,592 Posts
mceb said:
Rodeo, did you make that forum?
I wish!

No, but glad I found it, now I pass the word. I've brought a handful of people over already. It's got a nice tone, much like we have here, and it's on the ground floor which is cool. Miata.net is good for alot of things, but it's sooo big, and covers sooo many models! A smaller forum dedicated to MSM, what a find!

RODEO

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for the welcome guys.

I'm curious as to how much time will have to pass before the dealers treat the Solstice & Sky as just another car to be test driven. That's when I'll go take one for a spin as I figure it will be easier to take it out for an extended drive at that point w/o a salesman along. The Mazda dealer told me and my wife to take it out for "not more than 3/4 of an hour or so", that's the way to do a test drive.

If you can't push the car during a test drive (it's a SPORTS car, right?) why even market it as such.

Here are the specs on the MSMiata if you want to add them to your comparison chart:

178 HP
166 lb-ft torque
2529 pounds
HP/Weight ratio - 14.2
wheelbase - 89.2
length - 155.7
width - 66.1
height - 48
trunk - 5.0
engine - 1.8L, 4 (turbo'd of course)

I'm curious as to where the Solstice redlines at and what kind of powerband we'll see...

[edit]
Oops, forgot the price. The MSRP is $26,050 which is kind of a joke. I bought mine for $21,800 last July and the 04s can be had for between 18,500 and 20,000 depending on where you're buying.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I've added MSM + updated Sol's #s based on latest 177/166.

solsticeman - I updated this info the post in general FAQ but the tech FAQ points to just the attachment somewhere so I can't update that one.

Attachments

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Matt123 said:
Thanks for the welcome guys.

I'm curious as to how much time will have to pass before the dealers treat the Solstice & Sky as just another car to be test driven. That's when I'll go take one for a spin as I figure it will be easier to take it out for an extended drive at that point w/o a salesman along. The Mazda dealer told me and my wife to take it out for "not more than 3/4 of an hour or so", that's the way to do a test drive.

If you can't push the car during a test drive (it's a SPORTS car, right?) why even market it as such.

Here are the specs on the MSMiata if you want to add them to your comparison chart:

178 HP
166 lb-ft torque
2529 pounds
HP/Weight ratio - 14.2
wheelbase - 89.2
length - 155.7
width - 66.1
height - 48
trunk - 5.0
engine - 1.8L, 4 (turbo'd of course)

I'm curious as to where the Solstice redlines at and what kind of powerband we'll see...

[edit]
Oops, forgot the price. The MSRP is $26,050 which is kind of a joke. I bought mine for $21,800 last July and the 04s can be had for between 18,500 and 20,000 depending on where you're buying.
Mazda advertises a nice test drive route on their cars at the local dealer, promising to put let you drive the car on all kinds of roads, straight, twisty, slow, fast, etc. They seem to really be pushing the fact that they will let you have some fun on the test drive and not just plod down a straight road for 10 minutes and then go back to haggle.

I’d hate to really beat on a car during a test drive, but I do prefer to be able to stretch its legs a little bit to get a good feel for the car. Especially in a performance car.

Its hard to say when dealers will allow regular test drives for the Sol. Its probably going to be a dealer by dealer basis, depending on their own policies and the demand for the car. If they are selling them quickly and there isn’t much inventory, test drives may be hard to come by. Hopefully not too hard!

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Mazda advertises a nice test drive route on their cars at the local dealer, promising to put let you drive the car on all kinds of roads, straight, twisty, slow, fast, etc. They seem to really be pushing the fact that they will let you have some fun on the test drive and not just plod down a straight road for 10 minutes and then go back to haggle.

I’d hate to really beat on a car during a test drive, but I do prefer to be able to stretch its legs a little bit to get a good feel for the car. Especially in a performance car.

Its hard to say when dealers will allow regular test drives for the Sol. Its probably going to be a dealer by dealer basis, depending on their own policies and the demand for the car. If they are selling them quickly and there isn’t much inventory, test drives may be hard to come by. Hopefully not too hard!
If the car is sold before its unloaded from the transporter good luck even sitting in it, let alone looking in the trunk. If it is their only one for a while and they want to display it in the showroom while taking orders off of it, then no test drive. If it is lot inventory then what would be their point in not test driving. I'm sure at least the sales manager and service manager will want to take it around the block themselves. Better yet, does GM still promote the 24 hour test drive? Take it home overnight, see if it gets along with the other cars in the garage, etc.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
achieftain said:
If the car is sold before its unloaded from the transporter good luck even sitting in it, let alone looking in the trunk. If it is their only one for a while and they want to display it in the showroom while taking orders off of it, then no test drive. If it is lot inventory then what would be their point in not test driving. I'm sure at least the sales manager and service manager will want to take it around the block themselves. Better yet, does GM still promote the 24 hour test drive? Take it home overnight, see if it gets along with the other cars in the garage, etc.
I haven't seen GM advertise the 24 hour test drive for a while. If they do offer it, they might limit that to certain cars too, excluding the Sol.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Fformula88 said:

I like to give the dealer a little scare. Let 'em know who they're messin' with :devil: :willy: :jester:

Seriously.

The worst I've done was when I took my VUE in to get the DTC's pulled after failing to get a borrowed laptop to link up to the ECM with the scan interface I have. Not only had I missed half a day of work, but I had to pay the service department to probably tell me info I already knew (P0330, misfires, and P1779, stalling) and nothing else.

I decided to take out my anger on an ION Redline. I told the salesman up front that I had no interest in buying one, just wanted to kill some time. To my surprise, he was all for it. Try as I might, I couldn't shake him! He learned alot about the RL that day... like it'll break the tires loose in second gear alot easier than you'd think. We got back to the dealer, and he thanked me for the good time and let me go on my way without so much as even inviting me over to his desk. Gotta love Saturn dealers!

Oh yeah, by the time I got back, the tech had my hood open and the coil packs and ignition module removed. I told him I was only paying for the diagnostic service, to which he replied "that only gave us the misfire and stall codes, I figured you wouldn't be satisfied with that. There's no extra charge for this."

Between the two of us, we determined that it needed new coils. I had tested them that morning, but he happened to have an extra set in his cabinet that he tried out. I went to the parts counter and bought a new set for $110, and he put 'em on and sent me on my way.

Did I mention that I love Saturn dealers?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like to give the dealer a little scare. Let 'em know who they're messin' with

Funny you say that!

After I bought my new toy and was just getting comfortable with it, I had to store it for the winter insurance layup. :(

I was out Christmas shopping for my wife on a day of vacation when I decided to pop into a Mazda dealer to see if the 05s were in yet (two new colors of MSMiatas that I wanted to see). I wasn't on the lot for more than 2 minutes when a young, eager sales kid came running over to me and started prattling on and on about the Mazdaspeed, blah blah blah.

I politely told him I was just looking and had to go but he insisted on telling me about the cars and talking about how great it was and on and on and I should really try out the "Speed Miata" :rolleyes:

So I figured, fine.

I played dumb and asked about the car and he gave me the full sales pitch. Then I asked if we could take it for a spin. He was all over that idea.

:devil: Now, I had 5000 miles on mine at this point and had a good understanding of the car's limits. :devil:

I chatted with him a little the first mile to let the turbo warm up. I asked him if we could push it a little bit. He was cool with that idea. We were in some traffic, I asked him about the girly car image. :lol: He was a bit flustered by that one. We found some back roads. He had started chatting up a storm again.

Then I opened it up. Up to about 6k rpms through 3rd and kept the turbo singing the whole way.

Now, I'm not sure if this kid knew how to induce throttle oversteer or not. But as I downshifted coming up on a turn, I gave him a quick introduction at about 30 mph in a tight right hand turn. Followed up with another on a left banked turn. And these weren't little ones either, I really hung the back end out there. :devil:

No more chatting after until we almost got back to the dealership. That's one way to quiet a salesguy.

Can't wait to play with a Solstice!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
My best test drive moment came at the expense of a Ford salesman in the back seat of a 1991 Probe! I was out on the test drive, and we were on some country 2 laners. We were approaching a gently turn off, maybe 45 degree angle, and as we were closing in on it he was rattling off all the great attributes of the car. As he is going on, he starts talking about how great the handling is, that it was just like any other sports car and it would hold on in a turn like glue.

So I figure, lets try that turn and see how well the car sticks! :devil: So I get up to it and just throw the wheel over, tossing the car full speed into the turn! :lol:

Mr salesman didn’t have his belt on :nono: and flew clear across to the other side of the car! :glol: He wasn’t mad, but the AHHH he yelled sure made it sound like he was surprised! Ah, good times!

Oh, and I walked on the car because he would not come down an extra $250 bucks too! I ended up getting the car at another dealer $500 cheaper than his best offer!

·
4,592 Posts
Matt, if you test drove a MSM that way, I can't wait to hear of your solstice test drive, it will make for good comparison. And find a new kid salesman again, just for grins :lol: I look forward to hearing how the Sol handles throttle induced oversteer, the MSM does very well there IMHO!

RODEO

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Matt, were those vinyl or leather seats instead of cloth. Easier cleanup after his near-death experience. :lol:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts