Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was in a parking lot and saw a new Pontiac G6 for the first time in the flesh. Outside looks OK, little bland, liked the interior, have no idea what it drives like... but the paint! Dear lord! It looked like it just got out of Earl Schieb's paint booth! It looked like a golf ball on wheels! Serious orange peel.

Parked right next to it was a 90's vintage Ford Aspire, much better paint job on the Aspire. OK, cars built over seas don't have the EPA and get to have much better paint systems resulting in better finishes, so I kept my eye out for new American releases and both the Magnum and the '05 Mustang I saw that day were totaly exceptable. Conclusion: GM needs to get it's s**t together if it ever hopes to steal import buyers back.

I just hope we get better paint on our Solstices than what I saw on the G6. It won't be a deal breaker for me, I'll still buy it peel and all, but many might see a poor paint job as a clue to over all build quality and choose Japanese. It's damb sad to see such a crappy paint job on a car that is supposed to represent part of the "revolution" going on at GM.

I guess if the Solstice got the Schieb treatment, the good news might be we would all get better gas mileage from all the dimples, just like on a golf ball! :crazy

·
Registered
533 Posts
I think it varies from car to car off the line. I've seen very different amounts of orange peel on different cars of the same make, model, and year. I researched the causes of it and found that a large number of factors can be involved (improper adjustment of the sprayer, improper ratio of paint solvents, improper temperature, etc). I think it's basically luck of the draw. If you factory order a car, make sure you check it when you pick it up to see if the paint quality is acceptable to you. If it's not, order another one.

·
5,600 Posts
Mustang? Good paint? The two Mustangs I saw at the San Francisco auto show were taking retro too literally with some of the worst orange peel I've seen recently.

FWIW, my Chevy Silverado pickup has flawless finish with no orange peel and no swirl. A thing of beauty. I look forward to the same GM quality paint on my Solstice.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I've noticed that often is has to do with the color as well. Most early ninties Chryslers in dark blue metalic had the paint fall off in just a couple of years. GM had the same problem with their white trucks in (I think it was) '98. We've got several of them as fleet vehicles that resemble Holstein cows. But, I guess that doesn't have anything to do with how the paint was applied as none of the have orange peal on what white paint is left.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Overall I think paint quality is going down. I suspect automakers are cost cutting in the paint booth which is causing some of the less than great paint jobs.

If you have a chance, check out the finish on a Saturn Ion someday. It has terrible orange peel! I am not sure you would see a decent reflection in it after waxing it the peel is so bad. Especially on the sides. I haven’t looked at a G6 that closely, but I will definitely pay attention now to check it out!

Hopefully the Solstice has a decent paint job. Having a lot of orange peel on an otherwise great looking body would be a real disappointment.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
tcl said:
I think it varies from car to car off the line. I've seen very different amounts of orange peel on different cars of the same make, model, and year. I researched the causes of it and found that a large number of factors can be involved (improper adjustment of the sprayer, improper ratio of paint solvents, improper temperature, etc). I think it's basically luck of the draw. If you factory order a car, make sure you check it when you pick it up to see if the paint quality is acceptable to you. If it's not, order another one.
Inproper setup and application are definately the causes, and I know that GM is capable of reasonable paint jobs, but my point is that it shouldn't be luck of the draw, that's not the treatment you get at the Toyota or Honda dealer. If they're going to compete with the rest of the world they need to take quality control serious. When GM talks about revolution and change in their organization, it's things like this that makes the automotive press say "Yeah right, same ol' same ol', I told ya so!"

The G6 I saw should never have made it to a dealer lot in that condition, but GM appearently still believes that end consumers aren't paying attention or don't know the difference. With some consumers this is true, obviously someone bought the G6 I saw and was no doubt satisfied, but it's this attitude towards customers that has lead to their shrinking market share. Other companies ensure that their cars are consistant with a thing called quality control. When a car comes down a Japanese assembly line, and the paint looks like the surface of the Moon, they stop the line, fix the problem, and the car that is screwed up is fixed. GM appearently says "Screw it, somebody will buy it!"

Admittedly I am a little more in tune with paint finishes on cars because years ago I used to paint them (back when you could still get laquer in California), and I'm not expecting a show car finish by any stretch of the imagination, but I think I deserve the same as a Honda Civic buyer and that poor soul that got that G6 surely did not get the Civic finish. I really don't want to argue about paint finishes with the dealer, I would rather (and I'm sure the dealer too) GM not deliver the cars with crappy paint. Anyhow, I'm hoping that since this is "Lutz's baby", the Solstice will get a more critical review at the factory.

·
Registered
533 Posts
AeroDave said:
......I'm not expecting a show car finish by any stretch of the imagination, but I think I deserve the same as a Honda Civic buyer and that poor soul that got that G6 surely did not get the Civic finish. I really don't want to argue about paint finishes with the dealer, I would rather (and I'm sure the dealer too) GM not deliver the cars with crappy paint. Anyhow, I'm hoping that since this is "Lutz's baby", the Solstice will get a more critical review at the factory.
I agree completely. It would be unpleasant to wait for a car you ordered only to have it arrive with sub-par paint. Fixing that is a lot harder than replacing a broken piece of trim or a minor mechanical flaw.

·
Registered
49 Posts
tcl said:
I agree completely. It would be unpleasant to wait for a car you ordered only to have it arrive with sub-par paint. Fixing that is a lot harder than replacing a broken piece of trim or a minor mechanical flaw.

word :agree

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Well said AD. It shouldn’t be difficult for them to at least get a smooth finish on cars. The amount of peel I have noticed on some would be embarrassing. If I had a collision shop repair damage and put that quality of a paint job back on the car, I’d definitely take it back and complain. It just looks like an amateur job, and the sad thing is that its on a brand new production car from the biggest automaker on the planet. They should know better, and do better.

Of course, the rest of those G6 sedans are almost as much of a disappointment as the paint. Yes it is improved over the Grand Am in many areas, but not as much as GM has hyped. That’s not to say it is not a good car either, but GM built it up like it was going to be a serious competitor to class leaders like the Honda Accord. Its not a bad car, but its not up in that level either.

One of these days GM needs to stop talking the talk and start walking the walk and deliver a world class vehicle that can compete with the foreign competition. Hopefully the Solstice will be it!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I agree that GM needs to work on the quality of the paint on its cars. I was at the Pontiac store yesterday and took a look at a GTO. The paint clearly had orange peel. I was really surprised that, in this day and age, the biggest car maker in the world can't do a better job. I'm not sure that it was so bad that it would be a deal-breaker for me, but I certainly hope that they do a better job with the Solstice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts