Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have an 06 Solstice with LSD and manual trans. I took a 1,000 trip in my solstice and on my way back home all of a sudden on the freeway doing 70 I hear this loud scraping noise and my car decelerated quickly so I pulled over and looked under my car because it sounded like my exhaust had fallen off or something. Everything looked normal so I went back and started driving again, now whenever I accelerate or decelerate I hear this awful grinding noise. The noise is loudest when going 20-50 mph. It sounds almost like someone filing a piece of metal and you only hear it when the vehicle is moving. I went and got diff fluid and additive and I'm going to change it but has anyone else experienced this and know what it is?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just put Mobil1 gear oil and additive in and went around a ton of turns and still the same noise. My diff had about 1/10th of a qt in it as well when I drained it.. The noise doesn't change whether the clutch is disengaged or not and around turns it sounds the same so I know it isn't throwout bearing or clutch I really need some help with this please

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Sounds like either something got caught somewhere (like a stone in the brakes or sumthin) or you've had a bearing failure.

Can you at least isolate where the sound is coming from?

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
My diff had about 1/10th of a qt in it as well when I drained it
That is not a good sign, like Tomato said, try to isolate if where the sound is coming from, but with that little fluid in the diff, I would be looking for a new diff probably.

On the bright side, the 2006's diff's are really easy to change out :)

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,478 Posts
My diff had about 1/10th of a qt in it as well when I drained it..
You have to ask yourself where the rest of the lube went. I think you are looking at a replacement differential.

I wouldn't drive it any more than you absolutely must. If it were to lock up on you while you are driving it, you could end up in a world of hurt!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts