Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a post on Cheersandgears that indicates the production Solstice will debut with 177hp & 169 lb ft of torque, whereas the Sky will debut with 170hp and 162 lb ft of torque. Can anyone confirm the Solstice's output?

Seems logical to me based on a quote long ago by a GM exec saying they were going to try to hit 180hp.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
That's new. If it's true why Sol get the extra kick and not Sky?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mceb said:
That's new. If it's true why Sol get the extra kick and not Sky?
Possibily brand differentiation? Another possibility is that they haven't fully tested the production Sky and don't want to overrate it.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
It makes sense. Pontiac is supposed to be the performance brand. That doesn't sound like much more power, but it's the type of thing that might result from ECU changes, exauhst, intake, etc.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Perhaps that's what it actually makes. GM sometimes underrates horespower. The C5 was quoted at 345 but it actually had 350 all along. Supposedly the new Z06 is 512HP rated at 500.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
cdb said:
CVT transmission?
Possibly, but that only effects wheel HP at best, adn the values GM gives are always flywheel. Also, that doesn't take into account the 5-speed manual as well, since there are no CVT manuals.

·
Registered
496 Posts
horsepower

I just got back from the NAIS and I copied this information that was displayed above the model Ecotec engine next to the Solstice display:
177 Hp @ 6600 RPM
166 ft lb @ 4800 RPM
10.4 :1 compression ratio
88mm x 98 mm Bore and Stroke
The Pontiac guy on stage said there will be a four speed automatic in 2006.
There will be an optional " Vacuum Fluorescent Driver Information" display in the middle of the gauge cluster. It will be a small rectangular display. Couldn't really tell me what info it would display.
Said the black Solstice was full production model and would seel no more than $24,000 fully loaded and could be sitting in your driveway summer of 2005.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Wow, thanks for the numbers GreatWhiteNorth. Now my next question is... are those good numbers? And anyone care to hazard a guess as to what information that " Vacuum Fluorescent Driver Information" option will contain? Maybe tire pressure, compass, those sorts of things?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Ok here it comes...

::pop::

:D
Another all new set of engine specifications. It's nice to see the compression down with the HP up though. Kinda disapointing to see the Torque down, but it's not down by much, so it's not that disapointing really compared to the other two values changing in our favor. The RPM ranges are up for both the HP and Torque compared to the older 2.4L ECOTEC VVT specs we had.

Compression ratio: 10.6:1
Horsepower (hp / kw @ rpm): 170 / 127 @ 6000
Torque (lb-ft / Nm @ rpm): 170 / 235 @ 4400

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
Michael said:
Wow, thanks for the numbers GreatWhiteNorth. Now my next question is... are those good numbers? And anyone care to hazard a guess as to what information that " Vacuum Fluorescent Driver Information" option will contain? Maybe tire pressure, compass, those sorts of things?
I'm guessing here that this is the same as what they call "drivers information center". It has temp / mileage, trip A, trip B, Fuel Range (until empty), Average Fuel Economy, Average Speed, Engine Oil Life, Engine Coolant Temp.

This is also how you set your "preferences"... for instance, if the horn honks when you lock/unlock with the RKE, if the lights flash when you lock/unlock, etc. Usually shows up in one of the two gauges near the bottom and has two buttons to the right of the steering wheel for scrolling and setting functions.

This is all from a current production vehicle, so not sure if they vary or not... or if they will carry other options, however I'd suspect this "feature" is generic across all cars it is put into.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Oh okay, thanks rlhammom, I was thinking that might be it. I hope so, I do use those bits of information in the car I'm driving now. I like having them available.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Michael said:
Brentil? Are those good numbers?
The numbers I posted were from a GM official PDF that had the 2.4L ECOTEC VVT specifications in it. There's been at least 4-5 various versions of specifications over the last month. I was just expressing my frustration of not knowing what the real values are going to be. The important things to me that keep changing are the compression ratio and the RPM's that power is available at.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
This is what I was talking about in another thread, more confusion :confused yet comming out from the different shows. GM/Pontiac wake up and stop the madness. :crazy

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
One way to stop it would be for GM to have a press release with final specs. Come on GM :patriot

·
Registered
391 Posts
I think the real question is how much will the car weigh? If the HP and TQ rateings are all over the place, does that mean that the car only weighs in at 2500 and not the porky 2800-2900 range? GM makes Four seaters in that weight range, why is the Sol so much?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Rickady88GT said:
I think the real question is how much will the car weigh? If the HP and TQ rateings are all over the place, does that mean that the car only weighs in at 2500 and not the porky 2800-2900 range? GM makes Four seaters in that weight range, why is the Sol so much?
We've had a couple debates about this before. The Solstice is actually average weight for a roadster. The only roadsters on sale in the USA that are lighter then the Solstice are the MR2, Miata, and Elise. Pretty much everything else is in the 2800-3200 lbs range.

I had had the same confusion myself about the 2+2 cars GM makes and their 2500 lbs weight compared to the Solstice. After doing some research though I found that all the of the convertible j-body cars gained weight into the 2900+ lbs range.

Here's two images made by MCEB and Solsticeman showing other rodsters and their weights.
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=26
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=121

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
The Solstice is bigger than the MR2, Miata and Elise. Bigger cars equal more steel, which equals more weight. Most of that steel comes in extra width, as it is significantly wider than a Miata. Its also a little taller, and a little longer. It likely has a heavier, stiffer structure too.

I know some people will have issue with the weight, but the handling advantages of having a really stiff structure should outweigh the slightly lower straight line performance of an extra couple hundred pounds. They can make up for that with a higher output engine in a couple years anyway, and having a stiffer structure will allow them to take the power up higher than you could in a more flimsy roadster structure (had they gone lightweight with it).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts