Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Solstice Leather Clarification ... please be advised that the constraint on the Premium Package - PCQ (leather seating) that impacted some prior DOSP orders DOES NOT apply to the exclusive First 1,000 retail orders. All of the First 1,000 orders will be built as ordered (except for existing option constraints at time of ordering including OnStar, chrome wheels, and auto trans). For upcoming DOSP cycles, the Premium Package may be ordered on approximately 70% or more of orders submitted, up from 50% in the last cycle. There may be a marginal constraint depending on weekly production volumes. You will be notified if further constraints apply.
! Solstice Ship to Commerce ... 2006 Pontiac Solstices will commence shipping from GM's Wilmington, Delaware, assembly facility in limited quantities during the first week of August. As promised, Solstice is on time for a Summer 2005 launch. The first units shipped to dealers will be the exclusive First 1,000 retail orders, which were ordered in the first 41 minutes of the Solstice Early Order Program announced in April. Production of the additional 8,000-plus Solstice orders in VOM will begin shortly after the exclusive First 1,000 cars are shipped. A special communication will be e-mailed to the First 1,000 retail customers early next week informing them of this special announcement

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Thanks, this looks like a dealer communication I guess?

Look for this next week:
A special communication will be e-mailed to the First 1,000 retail customers early next week informing them of this special announcement

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
When GM pulls the next round, are they going to pull the orders that were rejected the first time around? They should....after all, if your numbers are correct, they should be able to pick up all the orders that were originally rejected since 70% is more than 50%. right?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Hopefully I'll get picked up this time

·
5,641 Posts
todd_raleigh said:
When GM pulls the next round, are they going to pull the orders that were rejected the first time around? They should....after all, if your numbers are correct, they should be able to pick up all the orders that were originally rejected since 70% is more than 50%. right?
Each dealer that was allocated an order in the first round received one. It may not have been equipped with the Premium Package. But they got a car. So to GM there are no "rejected" orders.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
SD, was this a communication sent to all Pontiac dealers today?

·
5,641 Posts
mceb said:
SD, was this a communication sent to all Pontiac dealers today?
Yes, it appears CG took it from the weekly Pontiac to Dealer message summary.

·
Registered
177 Posts
GC112076 said:
Solstice Leather Clarification ... please be advised that the constraint on the Premium Package - PCQ (leather seating) that impacted some prior DOSP orders DOES NOT apply to the exclusive First 1,000 retail orders. All of the First 1,000 orders will be built as ordered (except for existing option constraints at time of ordering including OnStar, chrome wheels, and auto trans). For upcoming DOSP cycles, the Premium Package may be ordered on approximately 70% or more of orders submitted, up from 50% in the last cycle. There may be a marginal constraint depending on weekly production volumes. You will be notified if further constraints apply.
! Solstice Ship to Commerce ... 2006 Pontiac Solstices will commence shipping from GM's Wilmington, Delaware, assembly facility in limited quantities during the first week of August. As promised, Solstice is on time for a Summer 2005 launch. The first units shipped to dealers will be the exclusive First 1,000 retail orders, which were ordered in the first 41 minutes of the Solstice Early Order Program announced in April. Production of the additional 8,000-plus Solstice orders in VOM will begin shortly after the exclusive First 1,000 cars are shipped. A special communication will be e-mailed to the First 1,000 retail customers early next week informing them of this special announcement
Welcome GC
Info sounds very promising
GN112034

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Once again we have a communication from Pontiac that comforts the First 1000, what about the other 8000?

Sorry 1st 1k boys, but this is really getting old.

I have to question a marketing strategy that caters to serving one group of buyers at a totally different level that another MUCH LARGER group.

Seems like a strange way of doing business.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Small Dealer said:
Each dealer that was allocated an order in the first round received one. It may not have been equipped with the Premium Package. But they got a car. So to GM there are no "rejected" orders.
My dealer put me at priority 1. I was the first slot in the first allocation. When it came time to pick the order, they wouldn't take it because of the so-called "leather constraint". Since all of his customers wanted leather, he made an order with cloth that he will use for his showroom (how convenient! - conspiracy by all dealers to use leather as an excuse to get a car in their showroom!). Call it what you will - it was rejected. Now, I'm wondering if my order will be pulled the next time or rejected again (I'm still priority #1). If it is rejected again, I will be really,reallly,really pissed. I shouldn't be rejected twice in a row when 50% of the first round was rejected and only 30% will be rejected the 2nd time. I know I said alot, but does that make sense? You said that they don't get rejected, but if they don't pick them up because it has something they can't build, then in effecct, it is being rejected.

Thaanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
Why is it everyone knows more than my dealer! Boy am I grateful for this forum!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Fortyninenorth said:
Once again we have a communication from Pontiac that comforts the First 1000, what about the other 8000?

I have to question a marketing strategy that caters to serving one group of buyers at a totally different level that another MUCH LARGER group.

Seems like a strange way of doing business.
:agree: :agree: :agree: it is getting a little old. i wish they would just tell us about the other 8000, i have no idea what number i am. ordered may 4 but that could mean that would not get mine till oct/nov possibly dec.

I WON'T BE ABLE TO DRIVE TOPLESS TILL NEXT YEAR!!!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :cryin:
this sucks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Fortyninenorth said:
I agree, and I'm one of the first 1000. I wish they would have let everyone put in for early orders (first come, first serve) keeping the sticker price as the maximum. (Not to mention that I'm still chapped to be forced to buy the cruise control package in order to get leather.)

I think the GM marketing blitz went completely overboard for something that was 4.5+ months down the pipeline. Pontiac is paying the price currently with the lagging G6 sales. If they could have spent a couple $million less on Apprentice product placement, and redirected that to getting some early showroom-only cars, maybe the bait-and-switch technique would have worked as intended. The only difference between the Apprentice and Oprah ploys are that this one has potential to be a decent car (or so my $23K hopes). Someone needs to decaffinate the Pontiac marketing team after these two premature ad blitzes.

:willy:

·
Registered
245 Posts
lupin said:
I agree, and I'm one of the first 1000. I wish they would have let everyone put in for early orders (first come, first serve) keeping the sticker price as the maximum. (Not to mention that I'm still chapped to be forced to buy the cruise control package in order to get leather.)

I think the GM marketing blitz went completely overboard for something that was 4.5+ months down the pipeline. Pontiac is paying the price currently with the lagging G6 sales. If they could have spent a couple $million less on Apprentice product placement, and redirected that to getting some early showroom-only cars, maybe the bait-and-switch technique would have worked as intended. The only difference between the Apprentice and Oprah ploys are that this one has potential to be a decent car (or so my $23K hopes). Someone needs to decaffinate the Pontiac marketing team after these two premature ad blitzes.

:willy:
i couldn't agree more
:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:
well i could , but i would be going on forever. :lol: :lol:
and it wouldn't let me

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
The question is:

Did Pontiac REALLY believe they could get almost 10,000 pre-orders for a car that no one has touched, driven, or even seen in person for that matter?

We're not talking about pre-orders for season tickets, or a computer game, or a CD, or a movie... we're talking about an investment. Did they really believe that 10,000 people would put MONEY where their mouth was for a $25,000 purchase?

I wouldn't have. I say this first 1,000 backfired into a double-edged sword. On one blade they got IMMENSE response and plenty 'O bucks ready to pour in... and on the other side they now have bitten off more than they could chew.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Fortimir said:
The question is:

Did Pontiac REALLY believe they could get almost 10,000 pre-orders for a car that no one has touched, driven, or even seen in person for that matter?

We're not talking about pre-orders for season tickets, or a computer game, or a CD, or a movie... we're talking about an investment. Did they really believe that 10,000 people would put MONEY where their mouth was for a $25,000 purchase?

I wouldn't have. I say this first 1,000 backfired into a double-edged sword. On one blade they got IMMENSE response and plenty 'O bucks ready to pour in... and on the other side they now have bitten off more than they could chew.
I agree. I don't think there is any way they could have forseen a response this positive, when you consider that the majority of us have seen nothing but pics of the car. If you had asked me a year ago if I would buy a car sight unseen, no test drive, etc., I would have laughed my head off. I didn't even forsee it :lol: But, I did it. The only thing they have done that I really question (and I understand their reasoning, I just don't agree with it) is that they have set up the allocation system. They should have just sold the cars in the order that any dealer received them. I will say, that if I don't have mine by next May that, unless they have added incentives, I will cancel and order a 2007. Makes no sense to buy a car at the end of the model year and pay MSRP. You take too big a hit financially.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Regardless of how many pre-orderd (100 or 10,000). The Apprentice show was in April. They will not ship any cars until August. Too big of a gap, in my opinion.

As far as leather, they knew on April 15 the ratio of leather:cloth. It shouldn't take 4 months to resolve that problem.

·
Registered
350 Posts
todd_raleigh said:
My dealer put me at priority 1. I was the first slot in the first allocation. When it came time to pick the order, they wouldn't take it because of the so-called "leather constraint". Since all of his customers wanted leather, he made an order with cloth that he will use for his showroom (how convenient! - conspiracy by all dealers to use leather as an excuse to get a car in their showroom!). Call it what you will - it was rejected. Now, I'm wondering if my order will be pulled the next time or rejected again (I'm still priority #1). If it is rejected again, I will be really,reallly,really pissed. I shouldn't be rejected twice in a row when 50% of the first round was rejected and only 30% will be rejected the 2nd time. I know I said alot, but does that make sense? You said that they don't get rejected, but if they don't pick them up because it has something they can't build, then in effecct, it is being rejected.

Thaanks

There is a situation that could make it so that your order does not get picked up. Say they picked up 2000 orders last time and 50% were cloth. If they only need to pick up 500 orders this time at 70 % that would make only 350 leather ordes picked up. That would leave 650 orders from the 1st cycle of leather that didn't get picked up. I hope that this doesn't happen to people, but I just want to ease expectations so that you will be less likely to be very disappointed if your order doesn't get picked up.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Thanks Guy, I thought I was Losing It

I would like to thank everyone on this thread for voicing their opinion.

The last time I posted a criticism of the First 1000 EOP program I got all sorts of negative remarks. But I'm not the villian here, I am victim like everyone else who isn't in the select group.

We all love this car, we all want this car, we have all gone out on a limb and ordered it sight unseen (well some people sat it at car shows).

Some Canadian orders were taken BEFORE the EOP. I ordered mine just afterward. GM/Pontiac had something like 6500 orders by the end of April.
Yet all we hear about is what is happening re 1st 1k.

Yesterday I figured that I had now been waiting 11 weeks and based on our best guess about production output, will probably wait AT LEAST another 11 weeks before receiving this car.

I have taken the day off, I was thinking about going over to my Pontiac dealer to see if they had any news, but then Small Dealer posted yesteday that no Solstices were orders were picked up this cycle. So scratch that.

But it's a nice day to go test drive roadsters, maybe I could still salvage two-thirds of the summer?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Guys, the faster they get done with the first 1000 the faster they'll get on to the rest.

Unfortunately there probably won't be the level of hand holding they've done on the first 1000 group (the first 1000 group registered so GM has our e-mail).

It will fall to your dealer to keep you in the loop. Given from what we've seen from most dealers that will be trouble so stick around here because this is where you get your best info.

Would be nice if they could use the EOP HQ to assist all the remaining orders after EOP, that could be good because at least you'd have someone to go to.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.