Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

What do you think about the exterior styling of the Bengal?

• A - Gotta Have IT! Most Beautiful Thing I've Ever Seen - Outstanding

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • B - Pretty Good (or clean, or nice), I'd definitely Look at it in the Showroom

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • C - Some may really like it, but it doesn't do much for me, there's some things I would want changed

Votes: 16 23.2%
  • D - Mmmm, So-so. I'll pass. There's something wrong with it in my eyes/not my style

Votes: 21 30.4%
  • E - Ugly?!? The Aztek has nothing on this thing

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • F - Oh my gosh! Is a paper bag for the driver standard? (or "what were they thinking?)

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buick Bengal, anyone? Sixth in a series of polls about exterior styling.

Attachments

·
Registered
535 Posts
In the poll I really wanted to choose ugly, but you associated that with the Aztek and nothing will ever be that bad so....lol

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Darkhamr said:
In the poll I really wanted to choose ugly, but you associated that with the Aztek and nothing will ever be that bad so....lol
Reeeaaally?

Are you blind, or do you actually think the Honda Element and the Scion are beautiful vehicles? :lol :lol :lol

I have friends that own an Aztek, and are actually proud of the fact that since the intro of the Element, they no longer drive the ugliest vehicle in history. :smile

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
solsticeman said:
Are you blind, or do you actually think the Honda Element and the Scion are beautiful vehicles? :lol :lol :lol
:lol those are some ugly box-mobiles...they did take serve some heat off Pontiac Aztec designers :jester

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I chose "D" because the Roadmaster grill and cat eye head lamps do not work for me at all. The ass end looks too much like a Saturn. Overall an average attempt with goofy features. About on par with an Audi TT or Toyota MR2. In defence of the Aztec, at least it can be made into a tent! :lol

·
Registered
535 Posts
solsticeman said:
Reeeaaally?

I have friends that own an Aztek, and are actually proud of the fact that since the intro of the Element, they no longer drive the ugliest vehicle in history. :smile
Well I guess I'm blind! :lol
My buddy bought a black element and while I thought it sinfully ugly at first, once I saw it in the parking lot everyday and got past the MIC (mold-in-color) panels the silhouette grew on me. The Scion is the same and I've seen some sweetly modified ones. I think they look good slammed, custom painted and rockin' a nice system. The Aztek, however wouldn't suit lowering or anything but a monster truck makeover, of which there is an orange and white monster truck style Aztek near me. :rolleyes

·
Registered
28 Posts
Darkhamr said:
My buddy bought a black element and while I thought it sinfully ugly at first, once I saw it in the parking lot everyday....
The exact same thing as happened to me, a neighbor bought an Element, and I thought it was u-g-l-y, but after seeing it everyday it grew on me. And being given a ride is all you need to fall in love. I was at the park the other day, and there is a huge speed bump in the street. The luxury cars would go “clump, clump” as they crossed. Heck you have to expect the sound of tires hitting the bump. Sport cars would make any number of noises, tires, suspensions popping and creaking, etc. But an Element would not make a sound. It was such an unexpected and remarkable non-noise that not only I noticed, but I heard others in the park mention it.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
My daughter pointed out that a Scion XB looks like they built a car originally sketched by a 4 year old and would look at home with stick figure people riding in it. I put it in the, "so ugly that it's cute" class along with Mini's and New Beatles. Went for a test drive in one a few months back. Beyond the, as expected Toyota build quality, was impressed with the extra 8" space above my 6'-4" head.

Four cylinder, front drive, multipurpose vehicle. Chysler built the PT Cruiser, Honda the Element, Toyota the Scion, GM the Aztec. After a couple of years, I still think the Aztec tops the ugly list but I'm glad they now paint the plastic fenders.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
The Buick Bengal is just too plain for some reason. Its a sleak design, but it just doesn't raise any pashion. Someone said it looks like a stretched Audi, and it does somewhat, but its missing that tightly engineered and chissled look that distinguish Audi's. There needs to be more going on there for a roadster. I chose so-so.

The Aztek certainly takes the cake over the Japanese breadboxes on wheels. They are square crates on wheels, but the Aztek is actually offensively styled with that huge in your face front end, and the split 45 degree rear window.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Wasn't the Element designed by Rubbermaid? I heard you snap the corners on the roof to keep the freshness in! Those folks at Toyota's design studio gotta stop playing with Legos. Painting, lowering, wheels and sound system on a Scion XB is just a waste of money, it's still a box. It makes about as much sense as those folks who try to make sports cars out of old VW busses. If it's about irony, then why not hot rod ice cream trucks? Dirt cheap, plenty of room for any engine, and you can make a little money on the side. :lol

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
You could laugh at people when they say they've got, "Cold air induction" and those PA speakers on top were just boom boxes way ahead of their time! :jester

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hot or Not Polls for exterior styling (and thread bump):

2007 Kappa-Based Saturn Sky
Saturn Curve
2006 Pontiac Solstice
Buick Bengal
Chevy Nomad
Vauxall VX Lightning
OLD Saturn Sky from 2002 Auto Show Circuit

with a few words and tidbits I've picked up:

Legend has it the newest addition, the 07 Sky is supposed to pick up a lot of the styling cues from the VX Lightning. I can see it, myself, in certain areas (outer front edges, a certain curve in the headlamps, the sharper rear decklid "humps", and the hood vents and side scoops are some common themes I noticed).

It's unfortunate, but Saturn's unoriginal marketing folks seemed to be stuck on the name "Sky" and so we have two very different vehicles with the same name - luckily, they seem to have had no influence on the design... :D Thank goodness for small miracles.

The Curve and Nomad were from last year's show circuit - 12" extended wheelbase versions of the Kappa Architecture.

At one time, I... unhhh... I mean Bob Lutz had a vision of producing the "Topless Triplets" on the same platform - at the time it included my... unnhhhh... his baby, the Solstice, and relied on the Buick Bengal and OLD Saturn Sky to increase the platform volume.

Hope that helps, new folks arriving: Welcome! Add your $0.02 and give exterior styling a grade!!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Unfortunately the Bangel suffers from the same problem as the orignal Sky to me. It looks like it was influenced by the old Sky concept, and that was influenced by the Miata. It just doesn't do much for me.

·
Registered
86 Posts
a very subliminal car

The first thing I noticed was the grill.

It looks like a big smiley face smile. "male"

The back end looks like a pair of red lips. "female"

:D :blush

Could this be intentional?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
brentil said:
Unfortunately the Bangel suffers from the same problem as the orignal Sky to me. It looks like it was influenced by the old Sky concept, and that was influenced by the Miata. It just doesn't do much for me.
The Velite is a much better design IMO than the Bengal. The reference to the Sky works good! The Velite is to the Bengal, what the new Sky is to the original. Much better. At least in my opinion.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
too big...too pricey ($45K as of now)
looks like a ragtop aurora

no thankx

1 - 20 of 22 Posts