Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

What do you think about the exterior styling of the Curve?

• A - Gotta Have IT! Most Beautiful Thing I've Ever Seen - Outstanding

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • B - Pretty Good (or clean, or nice), I'd definitely Look at it in the Showroom

Votes: 31 37.8%
  • C - Some may really like it, but it doesn't do much for me, there's some things I would want changed

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • D - Mmmm, So-so. I'll pass. There's something wrong with it in my eyes/not my style

Votes: 21 25.6%
  • E - Ugly?!? The Aztek has nothing on this thing

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • F - Oh my gosh! Is a paper bag for the driver standard? (or "what were they thinking?)

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think about the Curve? Fifth in a series of polls about exterior styling.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'd say it's pretty good, a bit RX-8-ish, but good all the same. It's certainly the best looking Saturn I've ever seen. The concept pics seem to have much tighter panel fits than Saturn has been able to achieve in the past with their trademark plastic body panels. Just a thought.

·
Registered
535 Posts
To me it's not too bad, but reminds me of Ford's "Edge" styling. Like the Cougar. It didnt' look too bad at first, but doesn't have long-term appeal.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I chose "D" again. Kind of average attempt. Too bulky and butch looking, works on pick ups but not sportscars. It's not horrible, but it seams unbalanced. It reminds me of the cars the evil bad guys drove in Speed Racer.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
The front end reminds me of the Zimmer Quicksilver rebody of the Pontiac Fiero, and the rear end reminds me of my old 97 Ford Probe. They seem out of balance with each other, and the design as a whole just doesn't seem to work well. There are individual elements in the car that are good, and if Saturn were to focus on one or two of the elements, like maybe just the front end, or the back, and fixed up the rest of the design to match it cohesively, they may have something. Its not a bad concept overall, but it needs some refinement and a couple changes.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know what you mean. At certain angles, this is really an aggressive car. The back is too japanese in flavor, the front too out-of-whack with the transition in the middle seeming as an afterthought.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hot or Not Polls for exterior styling (and thread bump):

2007 Kappa-Based Saturn Sky
Saturn Curve
2006 Pontiac Solstice
Buick Bengal
Chevy Nomad
Vauxall VX Lightning
OLD Saturn Sky from 2002 Auto Show Circuit

with a few words and tidbits I've picked up:

Legend has it the newest addition, the 07 Sky is supposed to pick up a lot of the styling cues from the VX Lightning. I can see it, myself, in certain areas (outer front edges, a certain curve in the headlamps, the sharper rear decklid "humps", and the hood vents and side scoops are some common themes I noticed).

It's unfortunate, but Saturn's unoriginal marketing folks seemed to be stuck on the name "Sky" and so we have two very different vehicles with the same name - luckily, they seem to have had no influence on the design... :D Thank goodness for small miracles.

The Curve and Nomad were from last year's show circuit - 12" extended wheelbase versions of the Kappa Architecture.

At one time, I... unhhh... I mean Bob Lutz had a vision of producing the "Topless Triplets" on the same platform - at the time it included my... unnhhhh... his baby, the Solstice, and relied on the Buick Bengal and OLD Saturn Sky to increase the platform volume.

Hope that helps, new folks arriving: Welcome! Add your $0.02 and give exterior styling a grade!!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
The old Curve concept looked intersting. But not the type of interesting that would want me to buy one. I think it funcitoned well as a design concept, but I just didn't see Saturn as needing a 2+2 small sized coupe. They have enough 4 door cars I dind't see why someone would ditch it for a smaller car. Unless the Curve was a lot more powerful/sporty.

Even though I love the new Sky, it's still really tough for me to see Saturn as anyhitng but what its been till now. And sporty 2+2 coupe just isn't my idea of Saturn. But I love the Sky so much I don't care about that image for that car. :D

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
no coupe for me...saw it at Cleveland IX in '04...glad they evolved to the SKY

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
One styling cue did make production, the grill on the Subaru Tribeca.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts