Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

What do you think about the exterior styling of the Nomad?

• A - Gotta Have IT! Most Beautiful Thing I've Ever Seen - Outstanding

Votes: 11 9.8%
  • B - Pretty Good (or clean, or nice), I'd definitely Look at it in the Showroom

Votes: 51 45.5%
  • C - Some may really like it, but it doesn't do much for me, there's some things I would want changed

Votes: 16 14.3%
  • D - Mmmm, So-so. I'll pass. There's something wrong with it in my eyes/not my style

Votes: 23 20.5%
  • E - Ugly?!? The Aztek has nothing on this thing

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • F - Oh my gosh! Is a paper bag for the driver standard? (or "what were they thinking?)

Votes: 2 1.8%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the Chevy Nomad per the 2004 NAIAS intro. Fourth in a series.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Best looking 3 door I've seen. Definately not your run of the mill Hatchback. And it's Rear Wheel Drive! No other car in that niche. If I wasn't getting a Solstice, this would be my next car. :thumbs

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I love this car! I hope Chevy makes it. Glad the Solstice is coming out first though, so that when I get sick of life with a roadster I can then trade for the Nomad. If they were both out at the same time I would have a hard time choosing. My practical side would definatlely push me towards the Nomad, but my mid-life crisis side says roadster. Thankfully GM worked that out for me. :cheers

·
Registered
535 Posts
If a drop-top wasn't top of my list this would warrant serious consideration. It is very close to beautiful. I do have trouble looking at it and realizing that it won't have a V8 rumble though.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Chevy should get off their collective rear ends and get moving on this vehicle. They site people who disliked its styling at the show, but they seem to have forgotten all the people at Detroit who really liked it too! They could sell the 20K or so they would build a year, and it would finally get an exciting car back into the Chevy lineup!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I really like 3/4 of this car and i would even be tempted to get this over the solstice (tempted only). But i really do not like the grill of this car, if they could just redesign it slightly i would absolutely love this car. i am not sure how i would cange it, but i would most likely get rid of the bottom feeder grill.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hot or Not Polls for exterior styling (and thread bump):

2007 Kappa-Based Saturn Sky
Saturn Curve
2006 Pontiac Solstice
Buick Bengal
Chevy Nomad
Vauxall VX Lightning
OLD Saturn Sky from 2002 Auto Show Circuit

with a few words and tidbits I've picked up:

Legend has it the newest addition, the 07 Sky is supposed to pick up a lot of the styling cues from the VX Lightning. I can see it, myself, in certain areas (outer front edges, a certain curve in the headlamps, the sharper rear decklid "humps", and the hood vents and side scoops are some common themes I noticed).

It's unfortunate, but Saturn's unoriginal marketing folks seemed to be stuck on the name "Sky" and so we have two very different vehicles with the same name - luckily, they seem to have had no influence on the design... :D Thank goodness for small miracles.

The Curve and Nomad were from last year's show circuit - 12" extended wheelbase versions of the Kappa Architecture.

At one time, I... unhhh... I mean Bob Lutz had a vision of producing the "Topless Triplets" on the same platform - at the time it included my... unnhhhh... his baby, the Solstice, and relied on the Buick Bengal and OLD Saturn Sky to increase the platform volume.

Hope that helps, new folks arriving: Welcome! Add your $0.02 and give exterior styling a grade!!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I thought the Nomad was the most inventive thing I'd see come out of GM besides the Kappa platform itself in a very long time. It looks great, it was sporty and powerful, and it look very functional. It's a very modern twist on a station wagon. A station wagon I'd want to own. The Solstice and Sky look awesome as cars, the Nomad just look so new and unique.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm partial to roadsters, so the Solstice and Sky come first.

That said, were GM to build this beauty, I might actually buy it over a Solstice or Sky.

After driving, my favorite activities are bicycle riding and hiking. The Nomad would be the perfect little traveler for me. I could easily stash my bike and gear in the back. I would still have the planted to the ground, rear wheel drive fun on my why to the park.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nomad

I love the new Nomad. Can't wait til it comes out. I have a 57 Nomad. If it comes out in 07 it would be a great 50th aniverary for it.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Glenni said:
I love the new Nomad. Can't wait til it comes out. I have a 57 Nomad. If it comes out in 07 it would be a great 50th aniverary for it.
Welcome to the forums!!!

Unfortunately the Nomad is only a concept. We've heard absolutely nothing about it since it was originaly shown, and there's been no discussion of it becoming a production vehicle either.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Welcome to the forum Glenni! :thumbs

I really wonder where GM heard those negative comments. I suspect that is an excuse by GM because they are not ready with a stretched kappa to build it on. I stood around it for a long time last year at the NAIAS trying to get some good pictures, and I don't remember one person say something bad (and GM has spies listening to showgoers comments to judge interest). Most people thought it looked very good, and made a number of highly positive comments regarding it.

Its too bad they are not making it. I think it is the vehicle they are really looking for with the HHR.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Look at the original concept Nomad. 1953 Motorama?

Brian said:
I really like 3/4 of this car and i would even be tempted to get this over the solstice (tempted only). But i really do not like the grill of this car, if they could just redesign it slightly i would absolutely love this car. i am not sure how i would cange it, but i would most likely get rid of the bottom feeder grill.
The original concept had the 53 Corvette grill. It was perfect. This is the only thing wrong with this car. Put the Corvette grill back.Then it would be a ":thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:" To fill in for Gizmo who I beleive is on his way to Tahoe, AGAIN!

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Missed this poll the first time around (maybe even the second)

One thing missing from this vehicle is the sliding roof over the luggage area. GM already knows how on a full-size SUV.

Gotta think, compact, two-door wagonette, with an all-aluminum DOHC, twin sidemounts, oops, Vega is a four-letter word around Detroit.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Little Red #531 said:
The original concept had the 53 Corvette grill. It was perfect. This is the only thing wrong with this car. Put the Corvette grill back.Then it would be a ":thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:" To fill in for Gizmo who I beleive is on his way to Tahoe, AGAIN!
:agree: Those "teeth" make mine grit.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
lines are OK and I remember the original....
If I wanted a wagon I'd definitely look at it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts