Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

How would you rate the exterior styling of the Solstice

• A - Gotta Have IT! Most Beautiful Thing I've Ever Seen - Outstanding

Votes: 81 62.8%
  • B - Pretty Good (or clean, or nice), I'd definitely Look at it in the Showroom

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • C - Some may really like it, but it doesn't do much for me, there's some things I would want changed

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • D - Mmmm, So-so. I'll pass. There's something wrong with it in my eyes

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • E - Ugly?!? The Aztek has nothing on this thing

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • F - Oh my gosh! Is a paper bag for the driver standard? (or "what were they thinking?)

Votes: 2 1.6%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
533 Posts
Your first choice states that it is the best styled car ever therefore I had to give it the second highest rating even though I think it is outstanding (at least from the photos).

·
Registered
182 Posts
i chose a but i would say that i need more information about the final car before i truley believe that it is a car that i would be willing to add to my 140,000 in school loans for.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MaKaVeLi said:
i picked 3 cuz theres somethings that could be changed...more hp more leg room... other wise its a good car..

Yah, but this is about "exterior styling", not about the features that make a car a car. This is about the "grab your eyeballs and make you look at my car" effect.

You can't see hp or legroom in the attached photos.

Just to note for the REALLY observant, I photochopped the front wheel camber closer to what I believe the correct camber is when looking at mceb's pics in the gallery.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I had to give it an "A" in this poll. This car is a real looker. I am not about to compare it to other cars, but it certainly has that look which will get it a lot of double takes wherever it goes!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I voted B, but it was a tough to choose between B and C. The car looks great, except for the very front which I think is kinda ugly. Now that I'm looking at it I don't see how it has a 5-mph bumper right there in the middle where the grill is???

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
The regulation to have bumpers that can withstand a 5 MPH impact without damage to either vehicle left in the eighties. I've got a '73 Buick (the first year required) in the garage and the bumpercar crash bars are the ugliest thing about the car. I'm sure someone knows the exact numbers but for more than a decade it's been something like no more than $1000 damage from impacts of 2 1/2 MPH with a fixed object. I imagine the plastic eggcrate is "sacrificial" and the rest of the frontend is Tupperware (HDPE) with foam, or a sacrificial plastic casting, between it and the hidden steel bumper.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I chose "A" because the "Outstanding" and "Gotta have it" are accurate, but "Most beautiful thing ever" maybe not so much. I thought "B" was kind of weak. Somewhere between "A" and "B".

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had to choose B...I love it..I've gotta have it..but in early 2007 when the fiancee graduates...we're goin out and getting a 2002 z06

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hot or Not Polls for exterior styling (and thread bump):

2007 Kappa-Based Saturn Sky
Saturn Curve
2006 Pontiac Solstice
Buick Bengal
Chevy Nomad
Vauxall VX Lightning
OLD Saturn Sky from 2002 Auto Show Circuit

with a few words and tidbits I've picked up:

Legend has it the newest addition, the 07 Sky is supposed to pick up a lot of the styling cues from the VX Lightning. I can see it, myself, in certain areas (outer front edges, a certain curve in the headlamps, the sharper rear decklid "humps", and the hood vents and side scoops are some common themes I noticed).

It's unfortunate, but Saturn's unoriginal marketing folks seemed to be stuck on the name "Sky" and so we have two very different vehicles with the same name - luckily, they seem to have had no influence on the design... :D Thank goodness for small miracles.

The Curve and Nomad were from last year's show circuit - 12" extended wheelbase versions of the Kappa Architecture.

At one time, I... unhhh... I mean Bob Lutz had a vision of producing the "Topless Triplets" on the same platform - at the time it included my... unnhhhh... his baby, the Solstice, and relied on the Buick Bengal and OLD Saturn Sky to increase the platform volume.

Hope that helps, new folks arriving: Welcome! Add your $0.02 and give exterior styling a grade!!

·
4,592 Posts
I gave it answer A, the looks of this roadster are very appealing. Not sure best I've ever seen, but me definately likes. However, some concerns are going to have to resolved before I really consider purchase, a showroom visit will be needed.

I will however always enjoy seeing these on the road, even if I don't end up with one. But that has not yet been ruled out. I won't be one of the owners of the original 1st thousand produced, I'll give it time to be driven and reviewed by you all (guinea pigs :jester )

·
Registered
46 Posts
The Solstice is a great looking car. I think the design will be considered an icon for many years to come.

The Sky is also a beauty. Maybe not quite the classic as the Solstice, but as good a looking Roadster as any of the others are making.

How to chose?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I really thought I was going to drive my Olds Intrigue (nice to drive, OK to look at.) until it croaked. I wasn't even thinking about buying a new car. Especially not a NEW car. This car changed my mind in a big way. I can't wait to see this in my driveway.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Alwaysthatway said:
The Solstice is a great looking car. I think the design will be considered an icon for many years to come.

The Sky is also a beauty. Maybe not quite the classic as the Solstice, but as good a looking Roadster as any of the others are making.

How to chose?
Depends on whether you prefer "edgy" or "rounded".

1 - 20 of 34 Posts