Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

What do you think of the Ext. Styling of the old Saturn Sky?

• A - Gotta Have IT! Most Beautiful Thing I've Ever Seen - Outstanding

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • B - Pretty Good (or clean, or nice), I'd definitely Look at it in the Showroom

Votes: 15 16.1%
  • C - Some may really like it, but it doesn't do much for me, there's some things I would want changed

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • D - Mmmm, So-so. I'll pass. There's something wrong with it in my eyes/not my style

Votes: 30 32.3%
  • E - Ugly?!? The Aztek has nothing on this thing

Votes: 14 15.1%
  • F - Oh my gosh! Is a paper bag for the driver standard? (or "what were they thinking?)

Votes: 13 14.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:lol

Gotta put 'em all out for vote. Third in a series.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Gotta go with "B" on this one. Fairly decent styling, except what's with the square hole in the hood? Looks like someone left a service panel off or tried to shove a square peg in a round hole. The front end definatley says Saturn, but that's not such a good thing. Overall though, I think I like this better than the Curve.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I am not too crazy about this concept. Its just way too plain. Maybe that is about par for Saturn, which is certainly not known for over the top styling. But on a roadster? It should look distinguishable, and it doesn't to me. Might as well hack the top off of an Ion and call it a roadster.

·
Registered
182 Posts
does the world need 2 20,000 roadsters based on the same chasis and the same engine? Personally i would rather see them build more solstices than this. I liked the generals initial strategy of having pontiac get the roadster, saturn the coupe, and chevy the offbeat wagon. Now if all three or even two divisions are getting a roadster I would think the market would be saturated. Honestly, how many people can use a car that can only carry 2 people and has little trunk space? I suggest to saturn return to a coupe, heck build the solstice coupe and call it a saturn. As for the pictured car, it looks like a saturn, an economical family car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The nose of it (grill) really kills the looks of it. I wouldnt drive a car with a big square in the middle of it. Looks like a person with their nose chopped off. The rest of its acceptable.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
If this is what they're doing instead of the VX Lightning then Saturn has no chance of ever doing business with me. Unless Saturn is planning on offering multiple roadsters (more then likely not).

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
brentil said:
If this is what they're doing instead of the VX Lightning then Saturn has no chance of ever doing business with me. Unless Saturn is planning on offering multiple roadsters (more then likely not).
`

I think it was an old concept car.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
mceb said:
`

I think it was an old concept car.
Right on! :thumbs The Sky concept is older than the Lightning. This concept also appeared in 2002 along with the Solstice, but it made its debut at the Chicago autoshow. From what I remember, the press generally liked it. At least they liked the idea of a Saturn roadster/convertable. However, they never announced they were going to build this one. Its more of a styling exercise to get reaction to a new direction for future saturns. I think the '04 Curve got some of its styling elements from the Sky, so this square grill idea must be alive inside of Saturn.

Its not bad although it looks more like a plain convertable in the vein of a Sebring more than a sporty car like a roadster. The Lightning is way better!

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hot or Not Polls for exterior styling (and thread bump):

2007 Kappa-Based Saturn Sky
Saturn Curve
2006 Pontiac Solstice
Buick Bengal
Chevy Nomad
Vauxall VX Lightning
OLD Saturn Sky from 2002 Auto Show Circuit

with a few words and tidbits I've picked up:

Legend has it the newest addition, the 07 Sky is supposed to pick up a lot of the styling cues from the VX Lightning. I can see it, myself, in certain areas (outer front edges, a certain curve in the headlamps, the sharper rear decklid "humps", and the hood vents and side scoops are some common themes I noticed).

It's unfortunate, but Saturn's unoriginal marketing folks seemed to be stuck on the name "Sky" and so we have two very different vehicles with the same name - luckily, they seem to have had no influence on the design... :D Thank goodness for small miracles.

The Curve and Nomad were from last year's show circuit - 12" extended wheelbase versions of the Kappa Architecture.

At one time, I... unhhh... I mean Bob Lutz had a vision of producing the "Topless Triplets" on the same platform - at the time it included my... unnhhhh... his baby, the Solstice, and relied on the Buick Bengal and OLD Saturn Sky to increase the platform volume.

Hope that helps, new folks arriving: Welcome! Add your $0.02 and give exterior styling a grade!!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Repost my feelings about this since it's been a bit.

This concept was just not appealing to me at all. It seemed like they were attempting to copy the Miata too much in styling. It didn't seem very original, or inspiring.

·
Registered
543 Posts
:lol:They could market it as a GEO Metro? It would fit right in with that lot.:lol:

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
stubby...better go with what they have now

1 - 20 of 24 Posts