Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

What do you think about the exterior styling of the VX Lightning

• A - Gotta Have IT! Most Beautiful Thing I've Ever Seen - Outstanding

Votes: 21 27.3%
  • B - Pretty Good (or clean, or nice), I'd definitely Look at it in the Showroom

Votes: 38 49.4%
  • C - Some may really like it, but it doesn't do much for me, there's some things I would want changed

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • D - Mmmm, So-so. I'll pass. There's something wrong with it in my eyes/not my style

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • E - Ugly?!? The Aztek has nothing on this thing

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • F - Oh my gosh! Is a paper bag for the driver standard? (or "what were they thinking?)

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry, forgot to pick the poll box on previous thread.

Your opinions on VX Lightning styling. The second in a series of polls. Remember, in polls, the more the merrier.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
DreamerDave said:
Very radical style. Solsticeman, it looks a lot like SpeedRacer's car. What was it called? Wasn't it the X- something?
Mach Five!!! You should be ashamed. :smash :nono :jester

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Correction: Mach V (Although I've seen it written both ways, most of the time the car itself is referred to with the roman numeral)

And Speed's older brother is Racer X, or Rex Racer. Rex drove the "Shooting Star" which was a yellow car with #9.

And yes, the VX does have the Mach V vibe going on with it. :thumbs

Attachments

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Have to go with "B" on the Lightning. I love the back side, a cross between Solstice and 60's Vette. I almost want this back end on the Solstice, but I don't think it quite blends with the flowing lines of the Solstice. Mid section is cool too. Don't care to much for the front though, it's pretty busy and looks too much like a tuner's Celica. Don't go for the locomotive cow-catcher look. :rolleyes

·
Registered
281 Posts
very very nice. needs to be a caddy and the front end needs to be redone with smaller openings and the CTS-V grille. that grille even has a matching crease in it to match the hood. ditch the clear tails, tint them red, and add a small diffuser to the lower rear fascia. use the same mesh from the V grille, and have a single, round, polished, 2.5in exhaust tip exiting the mesh at each end. give it the 250hp HF 3.9L V6 ,w/ either a 6 speed man or 5 speed auto, a folding hardtop ala SSR, heated leather, and DVD NAV. start it at 35K US and kick the europeans ass. most BMW, MB, Lexus, boxter buyers woudnt consider the solstice because it is a pontiac. prestige nameplates matter to the wealthy.

this car wont be a vauxhall due to new EU pedestrian safety regs. make it a caddy and, GM, send me a check. :thumbs

·
Registered
535 Posts
Tone down some of the sharp edges / creases and change the V-shaped grille and this would blow the Solstice away. I see "Speedster" written all over it!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
This car looks great! Where the Solstice has great styling as a classic 2 seat roadster, the Lightning is definately more aggressive and exotic in looks. With Pontiac's recent styling history, the Lightning almost looks more like a Pontiac than the sleek Solstice because of its aggressiveness and in your face attitude. If both these vehicles were for sale at the same time, for the same price, with the same content, I may never buy one. I'd never decide! Or maybe I'd have tot ake both!! :crazy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey All,

Newbie here *looks around for all the other women* - thought I'd do a poll first - nice enough car - kinda Batmobile looking - where is Robin??

Hope to be around more often :smile .

Sapphire

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hot or Not Polls for exterior styling (and thread bump):

2007 Kappa-Based Saturn Sky
Saturn Curve
2006 Pontiac Solstice
Buick Bengal
Chevy Nomad
Vauxall VX Lightning
OLD Saturn Sky from 2002 Auto Show Circuit

with a few words and tidbits I've picked up:

Legend has it the newest addition, the 07 Sky is supposed to pick up a lot of the styling cues from the VX Lightning. I can see it, myself, in certain areas (outer front edges, a certain curve in the headlamps, the sharper rear decklid "humps", and the hood vents and side scoops are some common themes I noticed).

It's unfortunate, but Saturn's unoriginal marketing folks seemed to be stuck on the name "Sky" and so we have two very different vehicles with the same name - luckily, they seem to have had no influence on the design... :D Thank goodness for small miracles.

The Curve and Nomad were from last year's show circuit - 12" extended wheelbase versions of the Kappa Architecture.

At one time, I... unhhh... I mean Bob Lutz had a vision of producing the "Topless Triplets" on the same platform - at the time it included my... unnhhhh... his baby, the Solstice, and relied on the Buick Bengal and OLD Saturn Sky to increase the platform volume.

Hope that helps, new folks arriving: Welcome! Add your $0.02 and give exterior styling a grade!!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I've loved the VX Lightning concept since day one!!! There are some things about it though I felt needed to be changed. Like the front look way to angualr/pointed compared to the rest of the car. However I feel Saturn has fixed any issues I previously had with the VX Lightning.

·
Premium Member
10,365 Posts
brentil said:
I've loved the VX Lightning concept since day one!!! There are some things about it though I felt needed to be changed. Like the front look way to angualr/pointed compared to the rest of the car. However I feel Saturn has fixed any issues I previously had with the VX Lightning.
I wish the VX Lightning was the Saturn SKY I could buy!!!
That is my car HANDS DOWN :smile

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
LatinVenom said:
I wish the VX Lightning was the Saturn SKY I could buy!!!
That is my car HANDS DOWN :smile
Personally I just want the engine from the VX Lightning in the Saturn Sky. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts