Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the August 2005 issue of HOTROD magazine with an interview of Mark Reuss, head of GM's Performance Division. I'm re-typing the last couple of paragraphs:

HOTROD: In the past, the Performance Division has made a couple of assaults on the record books out on the Bonneville Salt Flats with your partners at So Cal Speed Shop. Explain the attraction of Bonneville racing.

Reuss: Instead of following the import-tuner craze that may or may not be out there, that's a way that we can put credibility and viability into our four-cylinder Ecotec engine programs. Everybody talks about grassroots racing but it doesn't get any more grassroots than Bonneville. It doesn't get any more American than that. Particularly working with an American hot rod company. No one else can do that.

HOTROD: Speaking of the Ecotec, the new Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky roadsters have a lot of performance potential. A Solstice with an Ecotec and a turbo would be a bad-ass little car.

Reuss: You're going to see some cars at SEMA this year that take advantage of that very notion but in a road-racing type format. These cars can do a lot more than straight-line acceleration. A few of us fell on our swords to have only four cylinders in that architecture. You could make a hell of a business case for V-6s because you could get a higher price point, but mass begets mass because all of a sudden you've got heavier corners, you've got a heavier tranny to handle the torque, and the car gets ruined.

HOTROD: You can leave the V-8 swaps to HOT ROD. One of our pet projects is to put an LS7 in a Solstice. It would be like a modern interpretation of the Shelby Cobra or a Lister Corvette.

Reuss: We can help you with that. We actually know that something very close to that fits.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
"something very close to that fits"

Music to our ears. This means that somewhere on a shelf is a crate V8 from GM that will drop under the hood of the Sol with no mods to the fenderwells I presume. Motor mounts can be fabbed. And little cable stays like the Chevy 283's had added due to motor mount separation under torque load.

Since Ford gets 300+ hp from an all aluminum V8 that is smaller cid than Mustang's traditional 289 then maybe GM is cooking up something along these lines, smaller d than 283, all AL, 261 or maybe the 303hp LS4 from the GXP, did not know until this morning that that engine, like the hemi in the 300C is "displacement on demand" so it fills both requirements, 4 cyl for mpg and V8 muscle that in GXP provides sub 6.0 sec 0-60 - this could be a good thing, I estimate sub 5, maybe low to mid 4 second range with an engine that is probably half the cost of the LS7.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:agree: Yeah, I also thought the best part of the whole interview was those last six words. :party:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
We actually know that something very close to that fits
I'm confused, is he saying that the LS7 won't fit but something else will?

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
mceb said:
My impression of what he is saying is that they haven't tried to fit the LS7 specifically, but they did try "something very close" to the LS7, and the one they tried did fit. Implying that fitting the LS7 in is a very real possibility, but not yet proven.

Did you also notice that he stated GM "can help you with that."? Interesting.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Putting a LS7-ish engine in there would be insane, wouldn't a turbocharged LS4 be more economical?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
A few of us fell on our swords to have only four cylinders in that architecture. You could make a hell of a business case for V-6s because you could get a higher price point, but mass begets mass because all of a sudden you've got heavier corners, you've got a heavier tranny to handle the torque, and the car gets ruined.
Thought this was telling comment. Something we've discussed here in the past that GM is only committed to the 4 cyl. That leaves bigger engine swaps to the aftermarket guys.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
mceb said:
That leaves bigger engine swaps to the aftermarket guys.
And off the shelf performance parts to your local GM dealer, which has previously been hinted at.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Looks as if GM Performance division has been given the "hands off" V8 conversion for the kappa cars. The point in the article being made is that you sacifice handling for increased displacement (weight gains across the entire driveline). I believe this to be true, a lower center of gravity and less weight a good sports car makes (esp. a roadster). In turn, I like Hot Rod's thinking that a modern day Cobra can be made out of the platform. Yeah, you are going to lose some entry corner speed, but man, the track out of the apex is going to be a blast!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I forwarded the article over to Mallett cars to get an opinion. Chuck Mallett replied back that he works for Mark Reuss (contractor maybe?), and the project car Hot Rod is doing is a "one off". GM is obivously working with a bunch of different groups right now to keep these conversions on the right track. GM is really pushing the "good press" from anybody connected to a kappa car conversion.

·
Registered
446 Posts
mceb said:
He's probably referring to the fact that the LS7 may have some fitment problems because of the bulky dry sump oiling system.

·
Registered
13 Posts
mceb said:
My best V8 guess is:
Northstar 4.6L V8 Production Engine

This V-8 Crate Engine (RPO LH2) features the following:
320 Horsepower @ 6400 RPM and 310 lb-ft @ 4400 RPM torque
Sequential fuel injection
Bore is 93.00 mm and Stroke is 84.00 mm with 10.5:1 compression ratio
Aluminum Block, Aluminum Heads, and Hydraulic roller design camshaft
This engine powers the Cadillac XLR and SRX
This production engine includes: exhaust manifolds, intake manifold, injectors, fuel rails, balancer, water pump and flywheel

Pulley, belt, p/s pump, a/c pump, starter, alternator and engine cover are not included with this engine.

But the ECOtech has tons of potential and a load of GM and aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
446 Posts
RudyF said:
My best V8 guess is:
Northstar 4.6L V8 Production Engine

This V-8 Crate Engine (RPO LH2) features the following:
320 Horsepower @ 6400 RPM and 310 lb-ft @ 4400 RPM torque
Sequential fuel injection
Bore is 93.00 mm and Stroke is 84.00 mm with 10.5:1 compression ratio
Aluminum Block, Aluminum Heads, and Hydraulic roller design camshaft
This engine powers the Cadillac XLR and SRX
This production engine includes: exhaust manifolds, intake manifold, injectors, fuel rails, balancer, water pump and flywheel

Pulley, belt, p/s pump, a/c pump, starter, alternator and engine cover are not included with this engine.

But the ECOtech has tons of potential and a load of GM and aftermarket parts.
I seriously doubt the northstar is a contender. The northstar is both heavier and larger than the LSx series thanks to the DOHC design.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
LS7 vs LS2

Besides the dry sump, what are the other differences between the LS2 and LS7 - externally? I'm sure there are plenty of internal differences. Are the heads larger on the LS7 (externally)? Intake manifold?

·
Registered
352 Posts
The LS2 swap is the hot choice. The numbers on the 402 LS2 are dam impressive and the cost is lower.

Buying a new solstice? I'd probably suggest a turbo 4 as a more resonable approach....but down the road a few years...

Buy a second hand solstice...for half the price of a new one....

Drop in an LS2 402 and have a hell of a sports car.. (short block only)

Short block break down
*LS2 aluminum block (4.000 bore)
*Eagle 4.000 stroke crank
*Crower 6.125 I beam LS1 specific rods
*Diamond forged pistons
*Diamond file fit rings
*Clevitte 77 rod and main bearings
***Balanced & assembled***

We will also ship with every short block....
**LS2 parts:
*front cover
*timming set
*cam sensor
*front cover
*front seal & gasket
*valley cover

Everything listed above for 4 grand. Slap on a set of heads?

Or maybe just find a wrecked ls1 C5 or F body....snag the motor .....for very little money....and

I've seen 10K mile ls6 long blocks for $3100 on the net....

Since the Solstice is primarily a parts bin car...It should be a fairly easy conversion.......

Should be a hot setup...

·
Registered
446 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Actually there are many people involved in the build of the LS7 engine. There is one master builder who is responsible for the final assembly of the components, but many people are involved in putting the parts together.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts