Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in case GM is listening here...
with dozens of near production quality solstices on the parking lots and on the roads, how about updating the 'test mule' articles with some fresh test drives. i'm sure the auto press would love to take a spin in a final version solstice. even better, do a 'reality show' theme and let some folks waiting for a solstice take a ride and get their driving impressions- i can be in Wilmington in a couple hours.

(edit for spelling...oops)
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
The Long Lead Press Event has been scheduled for July, with the Short Lead Press Event scheduled for September. That way the press will hit the end of September/beginning of October when the advertising starts.

So guess the updates will have to wait.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
cdb said:
...do a 'reality show'
Tonight on FOX, Solstice Dreaming as 6 lucky contestants drool over a car they can't have yet and get yelled at by the plant manager in Wilmington :lol:

nah, I think FOX will stick with Hell's Kitchen :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,248 Posts
cdb said:
in case GM is listening here...
with dozens of near production quality solstices on the parking lots and on the roads, how about updating the 'test mule' articles with some fresh test drives. I'm sure the auto press would love to take a spin in a final version solstice. even better, do a 'reality show' theme and let some folks waiting for a solstice take a ride and get their driving impressions- I can be in Wilmington in a couple hours.

(edit for spelling...oops)
This can work as long as it's done with units built after the fit and finish issues are resolved.

Pontiac is wise to keep a machine with known issues out of the hands of the press. Were they to let the press drive the current units, there would be no way to stop the reporters from obsessing and writing copiously about their observations on the known fit issues. GM should not take the wraps off of this one until they're ready for VERY close scrutiny.

To the naysayers who say that the press was forgiving of the fit/finish issues for the test mules, I say that's different: those units were obviously prototype machines, and not at all close to the final body/interior. As I said above, letting the press go over the current vehicles being built on the line with known and publicly acknowledged fit issues would do little but highlight those issues in the trade press.

Just as solsticeman says, in his post link to thread: Time For Gm To Speak Up, post by solsticeman we must all use patience because this process is not unlike the analogy used by solstice man... (see the link ;) )
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
Small Dealer said:
The Long Lead Press Event has been scheduled for July, with the Short Lead Press Event scheduled for September. That way the press will hit the end of September/beginning of October when the advertising starts.

So guess the updates will have to wait.
Good information to know! Usually the magazines hit newstands Oct 1, and you get some of the weekly periodicals publishing just before then. Last week of September, I'd keep my eye on autoweek, USA Today on Friday (they have weekly review), etc.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
A detailed update on last year's test mule articles might be good to keep people interested. Mags could pick up with things that were 'works in progress' last year and update the progress etc.

I guess at this point it's easier for them to wait until final prod version rolls off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Audio Imagez said:
What would you like to know?
i'd like to know if they have the steering feedback issues sorted out. the test mule articles mentioned that the power steering assist didn't have the progressive resistance that they would like and that the engineers were aware of the issue and working on it. it's the kind of quality that you can't deduce from statistics but-to me at least- is integral to the experience of driving.
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
MO-KAN SHO said:
I'd be willing to bet the monthly publications are already working on the September issue, so GM would have to let go of those cars pretty quick to get them in October's issue.
That is what the long lead press event is that Small-Dealer indicated. Essentially, they will have all the media types show up and drive the Solstice (probably among other new GM vehicles), take pictures, etc. They give them the technical specs, go over the highlights, etc. Then, they put an "embargo" on the information they gave.

This gives the magazines a while to sit down, right their first drive articles, organize their magazine, etc. However, nobody can publish the information before the embargo date expires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
yea, there was a huge problem with all of those things back when the Z06 info was embargoed. somehow info got out and was all over the internet before the embargo had ended. the guy who leaked it i think sold it to autoweek who went and used it. gm even sent representatives to the guys house.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,206 Posts
godspeed06 said:
yea, there was a huge problem with all of those things back when the Z06 info was embargoed. somehow info got out and was all over the internet before the embargo had ended. the guy who leaked it i think sold it to autoweek who went and used it. gm even sent representatives to the guys house.
Link to the article available on the last post in the "Forum Rules/Guidelines/Ettiquette" thread available in my signature...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,844 Posts
cdb said:
i'd like to know if they have the steering feedback issues sorted out. the test mule articles mentioned that the power steering assist didn't have the progressive resistance that they would like and that the engineers were aware of the issue and working on it. it's the kind of quality that you can't deduce from statistics but-to me at least- is integral to the experience of driving.
Add to these was speculation of the final exhaust tone or sound, another important ingredient to "the experience of driving"!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Small Dealer said:
The Long Lead Press Event has been scheduled for July, with the Short Lead Press Event scheduled for September. That way the press will hit the end of September/beginning of October when the advertising starts.
So guess the updates will have to wait.
Small Dealer,

Without you getting in trouble with your supplier.
Will there be an Intro Event for the Dealer Net Work in New England?
Lime Rck CT or New Hampshire International might be fun!

(A FL dealer told me he drove one after an auto show last year.)

It would be great to get some first hand info!
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
zcellar said:
Small Dealer,

Without you getting in trouble.
Will there be an Intro Event for the Dealer Net Work in New England?
Lime Rock CT or New Hampshire International might be fun!
As Conejo148 has posted also, yes there is a dealership new model tour this summer. It is for the Solstice, Torrent, and G6 Coupe. There is a two day scheduled stop in New England. Not at NHIS this time around (where Chevrolet is the official vehicle (or at least official truck)). Lime Rock is Dodge sponsored I believe, so GM wouldn't be going there. Thats about as far as I am comfortable going with info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Small Dealer,

Hmmm ........ New England tracks with a GM afiliation?

Unless it's the Glen! Enjoy the event!

Thanks for the update
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top