Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Discussing the upcoming winter storm in Michigan, I told my bride "Cool! I love a good storm!" She replied "I know that you do." whilst giving me the look that says "There are elements of your existence that I will never understand."

As a kid that grew up on the Canadian border, it's rare that we get anything near the winter storms we had there. We received probably 6-7 inches today, bringing the total on the ground to about 12 inches. Might get another 6 inches over the next two days but Wednesday's high is going to be minus 4.

Drifted up pretty good in areas around the house where the wind spins and dies.

Attachments

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,228 Posts
I just came inside after removing 10-12 inches of "white death" from the driveway, and it's still snowing.

We have several drifts like the one in your picture!

:thumbs:

·
Registered
36 Posts
63 and sunny here today. High 70's for Superbowl weekend!

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just came inside after removing 10-12 inches of "white death" from the driveway, and it's still snowing.

We have several drifts like the one in your picture!

:thumbs:

Have family in the Green Bay and Kenosha regions - know they've been getting hit hard too!

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Chicken, I'm from North Dakota so I know what you mean. MI is like FL in the winter for me!! Especially when they're going to see -50 to -70 windchill temps tomorrow....

·
Super Moderator
15,970 Posts
We get snow for a day, then the sun comes out and it melts and is gone. We have had three storms that dropped 3 to 8 inches each. I get out the three stage, clear the street, sidewalks and driveway then wait for the sun to blast it dry. And of course the snow comes back in two or three days.

We have seen 30 inches in my driveway. That is fun!

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
We are south of Detroit. Lots of snow today and getting really cold over the next few days. On a happier note, spring is only a couple of months away.:grin:

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
@rob the elder

I've only been here about 8 years and I feel like this has been quite a bit of snow for us. Perhaps it's because I've only owned a house here for two years, so I'm finally having to shovel snow, whereas I've never had to before. Is this amount of snow normal??

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
It was in the 70's today, but we are supposed to get rain this weekend. The cold front missed SoCal. Has been really nice the last week or so, supposed to be near 80 tomorrow. I live at 4500 foot, so I get a fair share of snow, or did. Not much the last 10 years with our drought. The most I have seen on the ground here is about 18 inches, but and inch of ice under it. Snapped limbs off of my oak trees, some the size of man hole cover. I can deal with the snow, but the cold you guys are supposed to get, I could never handle again. Grew up in Nebraska, where it got cold and very little snow. Don't miss the midwest in the slightest this time of year. Fire season a different story.

·
Super Moderator
15,970 Posts
@rob the elder

I've only been here about 8 years and I feel like this has been quite a bit of snow for us. Perhaps it's because I've only owned a house here for two years, so I'm finally having to shovel snow, whereas I've never had to before. Is this amount of snow normal??
Its cyclical and regional. We moved to Castle Rock in 85. We had snow window deep on Lovie's Jeep Wrangler every year. 12 to 18 inches of snow was not unusual. Generally 3-4 times a year.

We moved to Colorado Springs and got snow 6-10 times a year where we lived in Widefield. I had a tracked snow blower because I needed it.

The first year we moved to Parker in 96 I got snowed in on Pena Blvd over night and when I finally got to my neighborhood it took me over an hour to travel a block to my driveway. The snow measured 30 inches deep in the street on the level in front of my house. It took me hours to blow the driveway so I could get the truck parked.

Last year I did not need the blower as the snow was sparse and infrequent.

I am prepared. I have a snow shovel at each door to the house. I have a heated snow melting mat for the front entry to the house so its always clear. I have a three stage blower and when I use it I blow my three car drive, the sidewalk two houses each way, and the street in front of my house and on the side where I park the truck. But more important, we live on the SUNNY side of the street! So the sun melts any residual snow generally within a day of its arrival

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
I called in sick to work Monday, only to find out that work shut down at 10AM and gave everyone paid Administrative Leave. Except me because if you're on SL/AL you don't qualify.

We plowed the driveway & sidewalks twice including our older neighbors who live on a corner lot, plus the house on the other side of us because he's a EMT and seems to be at work constantly. Plus we live close to two schools and a few colleges so we tend to get our share of foot traffic regardless of the weather.

My shoulders hurt, I still have a slight headache, and I'm definitely feeling my age. Plus we're praying that we don't lose power because we usually do when it gets really nasty out. But no wildfires, no floods, no earthquakes or hurricanes, so I guess we're good with the Polar Vortex every now and then.

·
Super Moderator
15,970 Posts
I do my neighbors who are all about half my age because they cant do it. The neighbor across the street is at least 100 pounds over weight and has already had on heart attack. I do his place too.

I have three generators. A 5kw diesel that will run everything in the house but the AC. And two 2kw generators that can be paired to run everything in the garage. We are pretty much self sustaining for about a week then I need to go find more fuel.

·
Registered
233 Posts
There also aren't a huge number of animals or insects that are out to kill you in the midwest!

Unless you count running into deer.

·
Super Moderator
5,953 Posts
I am probably cursing myself by saying this, but one of the great things about living here is the moderation. We get four seasons with occasional droughts, occasional deep snow (well, 13 inches is deep here) and occasional severe storms.

We don't typically need generators, snow blowers, hurricane evacuation routes, or tornado shelters, and our "extreme" temperatures aren't really that extreme. We do have stupid, suicidal, deer.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have three generators. A 5kw diesel that will run everything in the house but the AC. And two 2kw generators that can be paired to run everything in the garage. We are pretty much self sustaining for about a week then I need to go find more fuel.
Bought the property we're on in '98 and had a 1kw little Honda generator mostly for camping but used it occasionally during power outages to run a TV and keep the fridge cold. When Y2K was coming around (and nobody was panicking about loss of power) a nearby hardware store had 3kw generators for about half list price. Told the wife we should get one because when we build out in the sticks, if we lose power we're going to be without for a while. Ended up moving to a 5kw Yamaha electric start so my wife can start it if I'm at work.

Probably the only thing more important than having heat for her daycare center is the ability to flush the toilet!

Have debated about a whole house generator but not convinced it's necessary.

Neighbor brought his farm tractor over and plowed me out yesterday which was a huge help. Then they tell us they're leaving to head south for a MONTH! lol!

·
Registered
320 Posts
I live in Washington State, west of the mountains and we have not had snow. We usually get at least one minor, 1 to 3 inches, of snow per year.

Drivers go crazy around here during snow. 2 inches of snow around here means school closures, cars stuck on the freeway, cars in ditches, people calling in sick. Everybody drives SUV's but still drive into ditches.

Lack of adequate snow removal equipment and lack of snow driving experience is probably the reason for the mishaps.

Every 5 to 10 years, we get a big one - 8 to 12 inches woo-hoo! People abandon cars everywhere and school can be out for a week.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Whole house generators is power outtage insurance.

We live out in the sticks with lots of trees so lots of wind caused power outages. We had several 4 to 5 day power outages 10 to 15 years ago and lost two freezer contents.

Bought a 15 kw standby propane generator and 250 gallon propane tank right after storms.

Have not had a significant power outage since. Longest outage was 6 hours!

Standby is nice. It starts by itself upon power outage and turns off after power is restored. Runs the whole house including heat pump.

Had a power outage at Christmas couple years ago. We were the only house in the neighborhood with Christmas lights.

When we have a power outage, I like to call my neighbor across the street who runs a portable generator in the driveway and complain that his noisey generator is making it hard to hear my tv.

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
Columbia Station Ohio : It's cold temps with wind chill below zero and the best is yet to come tomorrow temps 25 to 35 below with the wind chill and high winds . It rained yesterday ,go figure and everything froze overnight so the dogs are having a bit of an issue going out due to the fact that the yard is now an ice rink ! We heat with wood so we are nice and cozy ,have a generator for backup power ,2 stage snowblower ,a fridge full of food and beer ,and cars tucked away so no need to go out till it warms up a bit . I worked outside for 42 years and even though I'm retired this stuff does not bother me just have to dress for it and be prepared ! I plan on going out tomorrow just to say I've been in 35 below weather my personal best is 45 below .:chill::grin:

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Probably the only thing more important than having heat for her daycare center is the ability to flush the toilet!
the 'no water' thing is what sold me. i have an 8k propane gen that will run everything in the house along with 200 ft of cord over to my neighbors to keep their fridge and heat running. my tank just got topped up last week so i'm not too worried.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts