Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All you that have had a chance to see the Solstice in real life, what's your impression of how big the Solstice is? I'm hoping it still looks like a small car. Does it appear that much bigger than an MR2 or Miata? I hope it doesn't look as big as a shortened convertible Corvette or Viper? I can look at the pictures and read the numbers, but I don't want to be surprised when I finally get to see one next year. I'm thinking of how my perception of the Dodge Stealth was way off when I first saw one. From the photos, I had been imagining a RX7 and it turned out to be a Camaro.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Everything that I've seen has said that it's within inches of the Vette in both length and width. I would think that by those dimensions that it would have more trunk space and engine clearance than what's been reported, but what do I know. I saw the concept version at the Auto Show in Columbus, Ohio and it did look like it has much more room than the MR2, however there wasn't a Miata there to compare it to.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
From my eye it looked about same size of all the other roadsters (Z4, TT, Miata, Boxster, etc.) Of course there are minor differences in length and width and height but overall it's in same class. From the pictures is appear that the driver sits down in Solstice more like a Z4 than Miata where driver appears higher up (I notice drivers arm hangs out side but don't think same think happens in Z4). I think Miata is a little shorter in height and length. Overall I would say the Z4 is close to Solstice in overall dimensions.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
simmonsmb said:
Everything that I've seen has said that it's within inches of the Vette in both length and width.
Width only, It's much shorter than a Vette.

Here's a comparison I did a while back...

Car Weight Wheelbase Length Width Height
Miata 2447 89.20 155.30 66.10 48.30
TT 3131 95.40 159.10 73.10 53.00
S2000 2835 94.30 162.20 68.90 50.00
MR2 2195 96.50 153.00 66.70 48.80
Z4 2932 98.20 161.10 70.10 50.10
Solstice 2860 95.10 157.20 71.60 50.20
C6 Vette 3245 105.70 174.60 72.6 49.10

Good data for the FAQ so I'll throw it in there too.

·
Registered
284 Posts

Just beat me to it mceb. I was putting this together and just saw your post. Oh well, here's the chart anyway. The Solstice's specs are estimates taken from the Autoweek article.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
simmonsmb said:

Just beat me to it mceb. I was putting this together and just saw your post. Oh well, here's the chart anyway. The Solstice's specs are estimates taken from the Autoweek article.
I like your format better...my text keeps squishing together, maybe I'll reformat the #s into spreadsheet.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I saw it, but its hard to get a good read on its size from the autoshow (Detroit) because it was on a turntable with a lot of space between it and the spectator railing, and had no other cars close enough to it to make a good side by side comparison.

That said, I think it looked like a small roadster, but not a very small roadster. In appearance, i would clasify it around the size of a Honda S2000, Porsche Boxster or BMW Z3/Z4. Not as small looking as a Miata or MR2.

Dimensionally they are all close, so I think it is because the Solstice's body comes up higher (higher beltline) than a Miata or MR2, which are rather shallow vehicles. It certainly does not look as big as a Corvette (which looks so big in part because of that huge rear end, they did a great job on the C6 to put it on a little bit of a diet and trim that big rear down.)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Solstice vs Boxter

Car Porsche Boxter Solstice
Cost (MSRP) $42,600 $19,999
Horsepower 225 170
Weight 2811 2860
Wheelbase 95.1 95
Length 170 158
Width 70.1 72
Height 50.8 50

·
Registered
533 Posts
The Solstice looks to be sized about right for the segment judging by the Boxster comparison above. Part of the "high body" look may be due to it being a foot shorter than the Boxster assuming those measurements are correct.

Now, if Pontiac can just give it a little bit more help in the power department.... (this footnote added for the benefit of the GM lurkers)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Headroom

Being 6'1", headroom is a big consern of mine when looking at cars. I had thought of a Miata, Celica, and other small cars only to find that I can't fit in them. I *can* fit in a MR2, but it can't fit a box of twinkies in its "trunk," so that was out. Has anyone heard about headroom numbers for the Solstice?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I thought the Solstice would be much larger than the miata. I am also a tall person so i would like a car that gives me some room. From pictures it looks like you sit low in the solstice which i like. I guess i'll have to sit in one and test it out, if its too small i might go with a used Vette. From what the magazines say, there is plenty of room for tall drivers and lots of head room.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts