Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a new kappa vehicle ( SKY) that has a one bolt sensor on intake tube. Same as my GXP with the GMPP tune. Is there a way to ID the tune without assuming it’s a GMPP.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Only if it's a manual transmission, the GMPP tune would allow you to do a no lift shift, other than that is almost impossible to determine if it's a GMPP tune without hptuners or maybe you could ask a gm dealearship if you sky has the GMPP reflash

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only if it's a manual transmission, the GMPP tune would allow you to do a no lift shift, other than that is almost impossible to determine if it's a GMPP tune without hptuners or maybe you could ask a gm dealearship if you sky has the GMPP reflash
It is a manual. However I’m not familiar with a no lift shift. Is that a speed shift without using the clutch ?

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What Silver Fox said, but you have to be under wide open throttle
I doubt that I will be doing any WOT runs in the other half’s Sky. My 1/4 miles run days are behind me now. I’ll be checking with GM and run a VIN check along with it’s inspection.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
If you have the Bosch (one-screw) sensors, then you had the GMPP tune - at least at one point - so checking the VIN will give you a positive response and is unnecessary. Now, it could be that the PO put another tune on TOP of the GMPP, but that would be almost impossible to determine at this point.

As for the No-lift Shift, yes that came with GMPP, but many/most other tunes copied it and incorporate it now - so that won't tell you anything either.

My guess is you simply have GMPP. There seem to have been few that over-installed another tune on top (though it is possible).

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you have the Bosch (one-screw) sensors, then you had the GMPP tune - at least at one point - so checking the VIN will give you a positive response and is unnecessary. Now, it could be that the PO put another tune on TOP of the GMPP, but that would be almost impossible to determine at this point.

As for the No-lift Shift, yes that came with GMPP, but many/most other tunes copied it and incorporate it now - so that won't tell you anything either.

My guess is you simply have GMPP. There seem to have been few that over-installed another tune on top (though it is possible).
Thanks for confirmation as to how I saw it. The sensor just stood out as a GMPP tune, but not ever seeing a Trifecta tune components wasn’t sure.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
Pretty easy, actually.

As TS said, you obviously once had the GMPP tune. What is your maximum boost pressure - try it in 3rd or 4th on a long straight and tell us what it attains. If it is at or under 20 psi, then you just have the GMPP tune. If you are lushing mid 20s, you probably have a different tune.

The most popular aftermarket tune in the early days was Trifecta. You could email them with your complete serial number and ask if they tuned your car. Almost all of their early tunes were also switchable using the traction control button or a few other options.

I switched to the GMPP tune when I bought the car and during the warranty period switched to a Trifecta overlaid on that.

PS - Trifecta would tune using stock or GMPP sensors so that doesn't tell you anything.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
There is no way to identify a tune unless the tuner used the same part numbers or kept track of them. In the ECM, there are 4 part numbers to your tune. Usually only a GM field engineer can read these part numbers in there. There are a total of 8 different ones (IMSMC), 4 for your tune, and 4 for other things the ECM controls. However, these part numbers can be comprised of any valid GM characters. I have the 3.2BAR MAP sensors, and I do not have a GMPP nor have I ever had it. My tuner wanted the 3.2BAR for a better range of pressure readings.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
What is your maximum boost pressure - try it in 3rd or 4th on a long straight and tell us what it attains. If it is at or under 20 psi, then you just have the GMPP tune. If you are lushing mid 20s, you probably have a different tune.
Actually I can hit 24PSI (VERY briefly) and 22 PSI fairly easily with my GMPP tune. Though that's with a peak hold boost gauge.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ran it today on a straight away and saw a 23 lb. reading of the instrument gauge. I did not maintain it as it was a testing if the gauge. Ran great !

·
Registered
20 Posts
Please note that your elevation (altitude) you are at can directly affects what peak boost engine ECM allows. I purchased our 07 GXP from San Antonio TX...where during test drive in Texas it would only achieve 15-16 PSI boost. Once we trailered it home to Colorado (8,000 Ft elevation), the stock configuration achieved about 21 PSI boost before any modifications were made.
We added high flow cat, and boost dropped to 17 PSI, and then once Trifecta Tune installed, peak boost rose to 24ish PSI. (and today when cruise control button is illuminated, ECM again limites boost to 17 PSI).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts