Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered the big wheel turbo from performance autowerks. In addition I will be upgrading from my GMPP tune to HP tuners. I hate the thought of losing the old tune. Is there any economical way that the tune can be removed and sold at a bargain price to GXP owner that needs it?

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
It's tied to your VIN so, no.

It's the price we pay...

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
Sly is of course correct. When they load the tune the one time use serial number on the box is associated with your Vin. Theoretically you could sell your ECM but that has its own problems.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I know you’ve been around here, but thought I would give the low-down for those that haven’t been around as long as we have…

Alright, here’s the long version of Sly and Rob’s answer. Can you resell your tune? No. It’s VIN specific. Can you save your GMPP to be reinserted later should you go back to your old turbo? Yes…if you have hptuners. Many tunes are based off of the GMPP tune. Now for our second lesson. Some tuners “lock” the ECM so that their tune can’t be overwritten and you would have to buy a new ECM. The GMPP tune is not one of them. Which leads us to lesson 2.5 – An ECM from an ’06 or ’07 will not work with an ’08 or ’09 and vice versa. They changed the internal architecture in ’08. Now lesson 3. If you are going bigger turbo, make sure that someone who knows what they’re doing with the LNF tunes your car. I would even recommend a dyno tune with the new turbo rather then the data log tuners. Many “tuners” out there claim to know what they’re doing with the LNF motor…and they don’t. Trusted tuners are Westers, Trifecta, Performance Autowerks, and DDM Works. Another is ZZPerformance.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
First, your engine won't run well with the GMPP tune once you switch to the bigger impeller, so there isn't much point keeping it.

If you really want to (if you use it with the new turbo you'll get bad knock under boost) you can still do it, but the only way is to use Trifecta. I ran the GMPP tune on mine, then tuned with Trifecta and ran it like that for awhile, and then went big wheel and had Trifecta retune it. That means that the Trifecta big wheel tune is the overlay and underneath the GMPP is still the default tune.

I will never switch back to the GMPP, and can't imagine why you would want to either - you could damage your engine if you did.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been told that the Trifacta tune can be set up to switch back and forth between GMPP and Trifacta. I was planning to do a dyno tune with the HP tuner because I belived I could get more performance. Are both the HP and Trifacta about the same?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Goat67- i don't have a Gxp but do have a 09 cobalts ss and have the same wr-1 as you. You will like it and while it doesn't add a lot in the 3-5000 rpm range, it does hold more boost above 5 and it's noticeable. Don't know what experiences you all have with trifecta but with my own experience with them I can say if you get hpt and a reliable tuner, you can get a lot more safe hp from it verses trifecta. Vince isn't as involved in tuning as he used to be and on the cobalt forums trifecta gets questioned a lot. I personally waited 2 weeks to get a revision only to get the reply of "looks good". The hp tune I have now blows the trifecta tune away and I can log and review all the key factors at any time. Can't do that with trifecta. Have fun with that bigger wheel and hit me up if you have questions. My name on cobaltss forum is the same.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't have a Gxp but have the same motor in my cobaltSS. Going from trifecta to hpt with my wr-1 was the right way to go. Trifecta used to be pretty good when they first came out but since then there have been reputable tuners doing hpt that can get more out of the motor just as safe. Plus it's really nice to run through and look at your own logs. Trifecta just takes too long to get back with you ( mine was 2 weeks), only to hear everything was ok. You will like the bigger wheel especially above 5,000 rpm.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info. My parts should arrive any day now. So in a few weeks the mods and tune should be complete.

·
Registered
398 Posts
You use HPT modify a tune. You can't "create" a tune, It only has access to a same fraction of the tables. Any tune you buy is a modified stock or GMPP tune. The first thing you do HPT is copy your GMPP tune.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts