Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really wonder how will the "softtop" will be fastened at the rear...

Especially with the 2 huge bumps behind the seat/head...

This thing has to be waterproof, so the rear deck can not simply push against the material to hold it down, it has to be fastened... OVER the (rear) deck!
If it ain't fastened enough we will end up with a loose/wrinkled top like in the so rare spy photos...

In another great post (great one btw), some GM "actors" indicated the so called "finger holes" would be used to raise the deck... It would sure be more clever to use it to secure the top... think about snow/ice in winter or in mountains, the ice would get into it and break somethink due to expansion....

So what do you think how is the top attached at the rear?

(My dream is for the hardtop like the G6... or Tigra)

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
It's speculated that the "finger holes" are more likely not finger holes but connection points for the top (there are little wings off the back of the top).

Here's a picture, I circled one of the connection points in black. The 2nd picture is from the England test mule articles last spring, from the back you can see how it connects.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
That's pretty much what all of us have come to the conclusion of. We've had some random people say they weren't, but all evidence points to them being buttress connection points.

·
Registered
22 Posts
bmwtourer said:
.....If it ain't fastened enough we will end up with a loose/wrinkled top like in the so rare spy photos...(My dream is for the hardtop like the G6... or Tigra)
:smile you always monster garage those stupid wings right off the soft top. i'll bet it seals without the winglets sealing to the trunk top. maybe i'll photoshop what it would look like later.

i'm another coupe guy.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
flyboy2160 said:
:smile you always monster garage those stupid wings right off the soft top. i'll bet it seals without the winglets sealing to the trunk top. maybe i'll photoshop what it would look like later.

i'm another coupe guy.

If done right - it would look like a TR-7 or TR-8ish rear part of the top, or even a more vertical notch-back that would be very Fieroesque.

·
Registered
161 Posts
solsticeman said:
If done right - it would look like a TR-7 or TR-8ish rear part of the top, or even a more vertical notch-back that would be very Fieroesque.
Or maybe a 70's Corvette coupe?

·
Registered
86 Posts
bmwtourer said:
I really wonder how will the "softtop" will be fastened at the rear...

Especially with the 2 huge bumps behind the seat/head...

This thing has to be waterproof, so the rear deck can not simply push against the material to hold it down, it has to be fastened... OVER the (rear) deck!
If it ain't fastened enough we will end up with a loose/wrinkled top like in the so rare spy photos...

In another great post (great one btw), some GM "actors" indicated the so called "finger holes" would be used to raise the deck... It would sure be more clever to use it to secure the top... think about snow/ice in winter or in mountains, the ice would get into it and break somethink due to expansion....

So what do you think how is the top attached at the rear?

(My dream is for the hardtop like the G6... or Tigra)

The trunk opens up from behind the seats and the top stores underneath. Nice and clean and out of site.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
summersolstice said:
Check out the pic of the trunk.
Yeah, don't forget it's a manual process to. You have to get out of the car to move everything around and connect in place.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would agree I think the winglets are just for style nothing more. Also, if they were there for any other reason I doubt you would want to open the trunk (assuming that it is double hinged) in the rain and get a carful of water flooding in.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Come on - what year is this car? 2006 - I would think it should be automatic. Let's not go back to the stone :rolleyes ages!

·
Registered
22 Posts
solsticeman said:
sman,
my thoughts exactly about both cars; but i think the vertical notchiness would be broken up or lessened by the seat back fairings. i'll try to pshop soon.....

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
AJC said:
Come on - what year is this car? 2006 - I would think it should be automatic. Let's not go back to the stone :rolleyes ages!
I don't mean the following to be an attack, as I really understand your point of view on the power top. :smile However, I think it may be a little much to ask for.

The Solstice is meant to be a "back to basics" roadster. Bob Lutz's words, not mine. Boiled down, I would interpret that as meaning it is supposed to perform great and be a blast to drive like a classic roadster, but as a consequence of the top shelf performance and low price, its not going to have many ammenities. Therefore, things like power tops are not included. In fact, those options would raise the vehicles weight which ultimately detracts from that performance they really want.

There is also precedence in the market to have amanual top. The MR2 and Miata have manual tops. In fact, the C6 Corvette has a standard manual top too, and that 2005 C6 Corvette is also the first Corvette to offer any power top! Many other roadsters costing a lot more than a Solstice also have manual tops.

The difference is that those other cars can be operated from the drivers seat. Just flip the latch and throw the top over your shoulder, and its down. Nobody misses the power top The Solstice will take more time and include exiting the vehicle, which will probably make people wish they had a push button top!

I just wouldn't expect a power top on the car. Power options are great, but they are not really what this car is all about.

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,471 Posts
I do, it goes with the design of the car.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I believe the reason for the top extending down the side of the windshield is to allow the side windows to seal under the top. If the junction of the window and the top were higher, it would be dificult to seal the rain out. My Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder leaked at the top of the windows because of that configuration. Ive never owned a convertible that didn't leak somewhere, Hope GM has solved this problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts