Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted about this car about 4 months ago and see that it's still available for sale. The price has always been way too high but the dealer has finally come down from $24K to 21K. What I need to know is what customizations you see on this that were made. I prefer as close to pure a solstice as possible but this one is beautiful. The 2 trip computers on the left driver's side I recall people here said are custom - I would definitely want to get rid of those. The yellow brake calipers I'm fine with. And under the hood it appears additional work was done but I don't know what was changed other than putting yellow caps on all the fluids. I like it cause the car only has 4600 miles and is beautiful. I'm puzzled though why someone would customize it and then dump it right away. Thoughts?

Cars for Sale: 2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP in Great Neck, NY 11021: Convertible Details - 379301097 - AutoTrader.com

·
Premium Member
4,902 Posts
as you said, somebody certainly did a little something...

·
Registered
271 Posts
The "2 trip computers" on the A pillar are actually Aeroforce Interceptors. They basically display and metric you'd like to see that your engine monitors. People don't usually drop $500 on gauges unless they have some pretty hefty mods to go with it. That being said, that is the stock turbo, stock intake, and possibly stock charge pipes just painted yellow. I also see the 2.5 bar map sensors so there is no GMPP tune on it even. That's a really clean car though, like show quality clean.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
As I said before it's been on this forum before. It has the Mrz cap covers, norms rear filler DDM gauge holder with gauges and a set of charge tubes

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I wish I could remember the person who owned it

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
It has charge tubes, engine caps and it looks like Norms rear valence.

Its not unusual for people to buy a car, customize it and not drive it a lot. You can run a report from GM LAN at a local dealer and find out if it has the GMPP tune.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you guys think it's odd that someone would spend all this time and money doing all these mods and then dump the car? I'm wondering if I'm overanalzing it or if there could have been a problem with his customizations that I wouldn't be qualified to fix.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Do you guys think it's odd that someone would spend all this time and money doing all these mods and then dump the car? I'm wondering if I'm overanalzing it or if there could have been a problem with his customizations that I wouldn't be qualified to fix.
Sure I think it is odd, but there are a lot of folks who find the customizing to be the fun part of owning a car. They would rather go to Friday night gatherings and have others appreciate their car than actually drive it. The person probably found another car like the c7 vette to play with.

You are always taking a gamble with a used vehicle. I was really considering that '09 wicked GXP in ohio that only has 1600 miles, but when I called the dealer and asked about maintenance the only thing he said was that it had 1600 miles on it. When I explained to him that some maintenance is done on a calendar schedule as well as mileage he acted like he had never heard of such a thing. That just left an uneasy feeling with me.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like from what I'm hearing the customizations are more cosmetic and that the original owner didn't tune the engine - as was stated above that it had no GMPP tune. I find the yellow charge tubes, yellow engine caps, and yellow calipers to be pretty cool looking and I really like the look. I don't know what a Norm rear valence is. I wonder how much trouble it would be to remove the 2 aeroforce interceptors though - I'm not going to the race track with it.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Just buy it and enjoy it and yes, you are over analyzing it. Needs change as do life circumstances. He obviously didn't drive it much but kept it in nice shape. Looks like it was his baby and it's yours to enjoy.

Now shut up and buy it! :lol:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gonna get a quote from the dealer on it. Currently asking $20,995. Several months ago they were asking $23,995 for it. Would love it for $18K. We'll see.

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
As mentioned on the other thread I saw this car at the Poconno Nationals 2014. I thought she was a beauty. The Guage pod is very functional and looks great. If you really want to get rid of this beautiful mod then I can sell you the original a pillar piece that I have.

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Agree on pods and keep in mind, the info you can get is not really about racing. The Aeroforce can monitor most every engine function and really provides some vital info on the health and well being of an 8 year old car. (But I get that it does look a little ricey, which is why I pulled mine from my coupe.)

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Sounds like from what I'm hearing the customizations are more cosmetic and that the original owner didn't tune the engine - as was stated above that it had no GMPP tune. I find the yellow charge tubes, yellow engine caps, and yellow calipers to be pretty cool looking and I really like the look. I don't know what a Norm rear valence is. I wonder how much trouble it would be to remove the 2 aeroforce interceptors though - I'm not going to the race track with it.
That doesn't mean it wasn't tuned, it just means the GMPP tune with the replacement sensor wasn't applied, right?

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
I got my Guage pod after I got the GMPP tune. It makes it easier to see the "boost" in the guage pod at eye level than trying to see it in the guage cluster. When I travel in the USA I use my GPS for MPH as it is larger. The tiny mph under the KM is almost impossible to see in the speedometer. My new guage cluster face from Black Cat won't even have mph. The type is so small it is useless. When I need MPH will use GPS.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I have seen this car I person as well and it was well cared for

·
Registered
355 Posts
That doesn't mean it wasn't tuned, it just means the GMPP tune with the replacement sensor wasn't applied, right?
yes all we know is that it wasn't gmpp tuned because of the supposedly stock map sensors still installed (I can't verify this, but the sensors are part of the gmpp tune). there are other, aftermarket, tunes that don't use the new map sensors. the easiest way to tell if the engine's been tuned is to drive it and monitor the turbo boost. if it's over 14-16 during wide open throttle then it's been tuned.

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Lot of good posts, here is the way I look at it the car from all accounts looks well cared for ,has some tasteful mods ,and super low mileage bottom line is you are buying basically a new car with upgrades thrown in for free . It's winter and the market for this type of car is basically nonexistent rite now in the snow states , like it buy it ! As for the low mileage maybe the previous owner had a few cars and did not drive this one much I have an 81 Corvette with 67000 miles on it do the math as far as miles per year go .

·
Registered
247 Posts
21K for an 08 GXP with a few paint mods is too much, even for the mileage. IMO

1 - 20 of 45 Posts