Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How did (are) you breaking-in your Solstice?

Over the years I have always heard off two schools of thought. The first: Break it in hard to run hard, or drive it like you stole it. The other is to follow the suggested manner of limited revs early and don't drive at any constant speed untill you have several thousand K on the clock. Additionally, when was (will) your first oil change be and will (did) you switch to a full synthetic? I have tended to break-in my four wheeled vehicles in a bit easier than my sportbikes and seem to do fine with both.
Caution: If you are in the "Drive it hard" group don't forget you have posted your vin# and big brother is watching. :yesnod:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I thought that modern engines didn't need an actual break-in period from the factory, due to more precise manufacturing and tighter clearances that reduce the amount of time needed for the rings to seat. If you don't, I believe the worst that happens is it burns a very slight amount of oil until the rings wear enough to seat properly. Does the manual mention a break-in period and if so, how long?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Since mine had almost 30 miles on it when it arrived I am sure these wern't just from running around in cricles in the parking lot at Wilmington. But, none-the-less, I still follow the break in period recommendations of limited RPM etc. Valves need to properly seat, this is the main reason for a break in period in any vehicle.

I found that is doesn't benefit acceleration to rev it out in each gear anyway. Smooth, normal shifts, seems to produce equal results.

I am still debating when to change oil first, and to synthetic. Probably at 1000 miles (maybe less).

·
Registered
766 Posts
RobRoy said:
I thought that modern engines didn't need an actual break-in period from the factory, due to more precise manufacturing and tighter clearances that reduce the amount of time needed for the rings to seat. If you don't, I believe the worst that happens is it burns a very slight amount of oil until the rings wear enough to seat properly. Does the manual mention a break-in period and if so, how long?
I believe manual says first 500mi.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Directly from the Solstice manual;

Notice: Your vehicle does not need an elaborate
break-in. But it will perform better in the long run if
you follow these guidelines for the first 500 miles
(805 km):
  • Do not drive at any one constant speed, fast
    or slow.
  • Do not exceed 70 mph (113 km/h).
  • Do not make full-throttle starts; also refrain from
    using the full throttle while driving. Avoid
    downshifting to brake, or slow, the vehicle.
If these break-in procedures are not followed,
the vehicle’s engine, axle, or other parts could
be damaged.

Avoid making hard stops for the first 200 miles
(322 km) or so. During this time your new brake
linings are not yet broken in. Hard stops with new
linings can mean premature wear and earlier
replacement. Follow this breaking-in guideline
every time you get new brake linings.
Following break-in, engine speed and load can be
gradually increased.
I plan on doing this for the first 1000 miles then changing the oil to Synthetic at that point, then again at 5k miles, then just follow the DIC at that point.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I unfortunately did have a 250 mile round trip in my first 500 miles so I did have some constant highway speeds in there but did try to vary as best I could.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
mceb said:
I unfortunately did have a 250 mile round trip in my first 500 miles so I did have some constant highway speeds in there but did try to vary as best I could.
Yeah, that's going to be my problem too because I'm going to drive to the coast which I'll be doing ~60MPH the entire way. Guess I can let the speed drop from time to time and accelerate above 60MPH to get some different speeds.

·
Registered
26 Posts
we broke ours in by driving 700 miles...our dealer was in Missouri and we live in Michigan. Had an absolute wonderful drive. Lots of stares.
Has anyone had any trouble seeing the clock/radio or odometer when the sun is shinning? I know what a horrible problem it is-too sunny-

·
Registered
905 Posts
About how high should you limit your reving? 3k, 4k?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I've been doing what the manual says. I very the rpms at highway speed by occationally shifting from 5th to 4th as well as changing speed. Under 70, the car cruises quite comfortably in 4th. I'm at 460 miles now, so this week I'll do the oil change at 500 and consider it broken in. Probably switch to synthetic around 9k.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
I followed the recommendation for the first 500 miles than I started to rev higher on shifts (5500-6000). Now my car at 2300+ miles runs like a scared rabbit. It is just fantastic. I'm concerned about the oil life reading. If I were to follow it I wouldnt be changing my oil again until 2008. I think I'll stick to 3000 miles between changes. :lol:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Ex-Miata Man said:
I followed the recommendation for the first 500 miles than I started to rev higher on shifts (5500-6000). Now my car at 2300+ miles runs like a scared rabbit. It is just fantastic. I'm concerned about the oil life reading. If I were to follow it I wouldnt be changing my oil again until 2008. I think I'll stick to 3000 miles between changes. :lol:
:glol: That's hilarious. Although, doesn't the manual say to change it at least once a year?

·
Registered
504 Posts
The manual says vary speed with certain restrictions,I've got 375 miles on LITHA,my 2nd gas up 235 miles,8.9 gallons of gas= 26.4 mpg.Have been doing what the break-in recommends,she will gradually be driven with more authority
when conditions warrant,until then by the book 95% of the time. :lol: :cool:

·
Registered
936 Posts
brentil said:
Yeah, that's going to be my problem too because I'm going to drive to the coast which I'll be doing ~60MPH the entire way. Guess I can let the speed drop from time to time and accelerate above 60MPH to get some different speeds.
Putting the miles on with highway driving is not bad just change speed once in a while. I didn't use cruise during that time. It will not hurt to accelerate on the highway such as merging running the car up to 70 with a steady increase right up to 70 just dont go full out. Occasional bursts of acceleration on the highway will do the car good just as long as it is in the guide lines. I prefer to put the miles on on the highway as opposed to around town.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Satch,
Have fun on the 5% when nobody is looking! :lol:

·
Registered
621 Posts
Have little over 600 now, behaved the 1st 500mile. Was getting 29 mpg during the first 500... brought it down to 26 mpg or so. Got there in 5 days... figure I'm doing my part for the enviroment.

JRP said:
Has anyone had any trouble seeing the clock/radio or odometer when the sun is shinning? I know what a horrible problem it is-too sunny-
Same problem here, usually not too bad though. Even worse when the auto headlights kick in, dim the interiors, and the sun is behind me. I just accepted that I should keep my eyes on road instead though. :)

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Ex-Miata Man said:

I figured it would loosen up after 500 miles or so!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Ex-Miata Man said:
HHR and Cobalt owners with 2.4L VVT ECOTECs are also reporting their cars defintely seem more lively after 500+ miles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts