Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm rather new to this forum, but have spent quite a bit of time digging through treads and pictures for information and out of boredom.
Someone made a post about not ever noticing Solstices before owning one themselves, and it made me remember when I first actually noticed one.

Sitting inside a T-Mobile store waiting for my phone to be activated, I noticed a pretty black car pull up front. Had never seen one before and I absolutely adored it. Years later, I happened to stumble upon one in a dealership while looking at Mazdas to replace my dying Mustang. It was love at second sight.

Does anyone else remember how they ended up looking at these cars? And ultimately buying one?

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
I fell in love, first glance, on a freeway here in town. There was a yellow 06 in the far right lane and I was in the left lane. It was love at first sight. I swore that I would get one of the GXPs next year, but I got laid off and had to file bankruptcy. I watched in envy as the GXP Coupe came out but couldn't get a loan for one.

After Pontiac was eliminated, I figured that I would never have a chance to get one until one day a friend of mine at work stopped by my desk talking about "this really cool looking car he saw on the internet". Long story short, I did a quick search and found my GXP Coupe at CarMax. Got a loan, had it transferred here, and I had my dream car!

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
First glimpse was a picture of the concept car at the 2004 auto show.
Ordered the car sight unseen in Dec. of 2005.

The rest is just history.

·
Registered
391 Posts
^ Same here. That orange concept car on the cover of Car & Driver in 2004 grabbed me and would not let go. I followed its progress closely until it finally went into production, and ordered one without even driving one.

I HAD to have it.

I think I still have that magazine in my workbench somewhere...

·
Registered
148 Posts
A friend at work bought a Saturn Sky, I took a ride in it and thought this is fun, I hadn't owned a convertible since my teen years decades past.

I was travelling a lot at the time and had the opportunity to rent a Chrysler Sebring convertible. I didn't know how much I had missed putting the top down.

Shortly thereafter I bought a used Sebring, at that time I had about $6K to spend and saw the Sebring listed in the paper...so I bought it. I really enjoyed that car, I had it about two years when I traded her in for our 2008 GXP.

Bottom line was I was enjoying the Sebring, it was partially sporty, I found myself messing with the paddle transmission but wishing I had a clutch and more horse power.

I started looking at the Solstice, it has smooth lines (I'm not a big fan of all the chevron right angles on GM products)...the Pontiac reminded me of sports cars from the late 50s.

Now I've had my Solstice going on four years and am loving it...however I'm now looking to augment my collection with a Chysler 200 hardtop convertible...I miss not being able to lug more than 2 people about with the top down.

So soon I'll be a two convertible owner LOL....yup I didn't realize how much I missed putting the top down these last 30 years.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I was driving through a dealer's lot after getting my Honda that was in for an oil change and saw this shiny red thing in the used section. I jumped out and stared at it. Some young guy came running out and asked me if I wanted to take it for a spin. I said 'hell yeah'..so, I get in and the first thing the kid asks me (maybe because I'm a woman in my senior years)..do you know how to use a stick? Buckle up kid and off we went. I really loved it...but the price was too high for the mileage and I said I would think about it. I got home and checked out this beast on the net. Went to carmax and saw the gxp version of what I drove and I had to have it. Got in touch with carmax, ordered the car, had it shipped from Houston to Fort Worth and I drove 400 miles to get it, unseen. Did I tell you I love my car? heh heh All the old farts here in this small town where I live ALWAYS comment on it. I guess it must remind them of the old days, huh? Anyway, that's my story.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Wife had a 12 passenger van for her daycare business that was basically unused. Since we built on 5 acres she has no need to take the kids on field trips. After several years of paying for a commercial insurance policy (required) she decided it was time to get rid of it and get an "ice cream car". You know, something you take into town on the weekends to get an ice cream cone.

She was looking for Mustang convertibles but wasn't finding anything nearby that was the current body style. An Audi TT caught her eye, but sold the day she saw it. She continued to browse the dealer's website and saw the Solstice. Had to wait several days as it was at a GM dealer getting the rear pinion seal replaced under warranty. Pulled into the dealer's lot on a Monday night and as soon as I saw it under the lights I said to myself "Oh ****, that's coming home with us." I knew as soon as my wife saw it it was "over".

Drove it home the next day.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Wife and I road motorcycles for thirty years, after the kids got older we wanted another bike but could not find one that fit our style. She happened to see a Solstice at a dealer, in the rain, but we stopped anyway and test drove it. We both enjoyed it! Tried Miata, TT, and Z4, but kept comparing them to the Solstice and the Solstice won. Found a 2007 red GXP in March, 2010, and haven't stopped grinning!

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
I'd been looking for a possible replacement for my Fiero for several years, not in a hurry, when the Solstice came out.

I signed onto some sites, including this one, about 5 years ago, just to keep an eye on emerging models. I was aware of the base model but not enough performance to be of interest to me, but the GXP was pretty interesting. I wasn't a fan of the glitzier styling features (which admittedly are exactly what a lot of people love) like the humps on the tonneau panel and the trailing buttress top, which looked sure to develop wear and issues with age.

Then I saw the coupe and all of my misgivings were solved. I also found out that they had stopped production and what you saw (at the dealerships) was what there was, period. Didn't find out until later that the whole of Canada got less than 80 coupes.

I didn't want to repeat the mistake I'd made with the Fiero, waiting for a good used 1988 (the only year I wanted with totally new suspension design) and not finding one for a couple of years, so went against all my car buying principals and bought the coupe new.

No regrets, enjoying the car, and have changed all the things I could reasonably change to better suit my preferences. Will probably keep this one long term (have had the Fiero for 23 years now)

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
Saw the concept car and The Apprentice. I knew since I lived in the metro DC area that I would be able to find one. None of that waiting and wondering.

I found O SOL O MIO at 9:00 a.m. on October 15, 2005 and picked her up at 3:00 p.m. on the same day. So a big 6 hours of waiting. :D

As fate would have it, I bought a Deep (Blue) NA, but they would only let me test drive the Aggressive (Red) NA. They didn't want to move mine off the showroom floor. So I took the Aggressive for a test drive and made the salesperson take BOTH sets of keys for the Deep. Now, I own an Aggressive (Red) GXP!!!
:party:

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
I didn't want to repeat the mistake I'd made with the Fiero, waiting for a good used 1988 (the only year I wanted with totally new suspension design) and not finding one for a couple of years, so went against all my car buying principals and bought the coupe new.

No regrets, enjoying the car, and have changed all the things I could reasonably change to better suit my preferences. Will probably keep this one long term (have had the Fiero for 23 years now)
LOL WSpohn, I have an 88 Fiero GT too. After my GXP Coupe, it is my second favorite car. My third favorite is my 69 Firebird (with the 400). Manual transmission in that beast.

All told, I have two Pontiac Bonneville SSEi (99 and 2003), 88 Fiero GT, 69 Firebird, 88 Mercedes 300E, 91 Trans Am GTA, and an Aggressive red GXP Coupe!

·
Premium Member
3,948 Posts
Tripped onto this forum...
Read about the car...

I sat in an 06 in a dealer.
I saw that I fit in the car ( I am 6'2" )

Ordered in Aug 06 !

:party:

It has been a party ever since.....

·
Registered
51 Posts
My dad chose it and when he passed away I decided to buy the car from the estate. I wish I had paid a little more attention to the car when he was alive because I would love to talk cars with him now. All I can say is that he had great taste and I treasure the car now.

·
Registered
397 Posts
One of my buds let me drive his early production company Solstice in Michigan. Shortly after, I moved to Arizona and got a dealer to call me whenever they got one in. I bought the 2nd one they showed me, a gray NA manual. Two years later, after a minor accident, I traded it for one in "don't hit me yellow", which I still have.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Love At First Sight

Saw the prototype in magazines first, instant love ;). Bought the first car ("06" Envious NA) to roll off the truck at the dealer (actually saw it roll off the truck) without letting them detail it. Traded it for a Mean GXP a year later, still loving every mile behind the wheel!! :cool:

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,496 Posts
I heard about the Solstice from my Pontiac dealer, in 2004. I got on an email list at Pontiac, and found out about the Apprentice deal from an email the morning of April 15, 2005. I registered online and then took a copy of the registration to the dealer. I got a call later that afternoon from the dealership owner telling me that I had gotten one of the 1st 1000 Solstices. I took delivery on October 3, 2005 and still have it, along with all the 1st 1000 swag that Pontiac delivered and a couple of other publicity pieces.

:yay: :dthumbs:

·
Registered
731 Posts
When I was looking to rent a car in Florida several years back. I was on budget rent a car saw. I saw the solstice convertible there. Price was cheap, so I was what the heck. The guy ask me if a had a small piece of luggage. Lol.
Had it for 4 days. Loved it. 2 years later bought a 2.4 cool. Had that for a year. Then I bought an 09 GXP cool.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had been looking at convertibles and was waffling back and forth between the Solstice and the Crossfire. Then, I saw the production coupe at the Washington dc auto show and thought it was just about the sexiest thing I had seen since becoming an adult! When my wife gave the green light for me to get a toy car, I wasted no time.

Interestingly, 2 sold before I could get to them before I finally found my wicked 2.4 coupe 4 hours away. All of this happened in one month!

I have found, I think, that the younger crowd prefers the angular style of the Sky. But I had to explain to a coworker that, for me, sports cars have curves!

·
Registered
25 Posts
first saw these when i was single and had a 96 corvette... went browsing in the local pontiac dealer and really wanted the gxp... but what they were offering for my vette was an insult.. so out the door i went. years later after a honda s2000, several british classics , some swedish stuff... time to turn 40. i was looking to sell my 89 saab and 74 mgb for one "righteous" ride. i returned to looking at sol's and realized the prices were now what i could swallow , so i found a nice example 07 red n/a. i saw a what seemed to be nice black gxp in paterson nj , but after driving it , there clearly were problems (hence the price). so after reading the hell out of this forum , i decided on the N/A and plan to slap a ddm stage one on it soon. i like driving it now, but cant wait for the addd power. i love the way you sit in these things.. sort of "vette esq"... the way you see the hood and fenders stretching out in front. what i hate about modern cars is the zero hoodline.. i like to see the car in front of me.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts