Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Install the DDM short throw shifter and you would have to ask a machine shop to cut an aluminium plate for you with the shift pattern. The short throw would help with the gate channels not needing to be so long thus allowing for your plate to be strong enough to not crack.

Tracing the actual shift pattern and travel would need some creativity. I think once achieved properly it would look great.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Oh, you'd also need a shift adapter that would be a thin stick from the connection to the lower shift lever at the gearbox all the way up top to the knob. Make the knob as heavy as possible to account for the lighter shift lever (the stock lever is thick and heavy).

·
Premium Member
18,741 Posts
It would be easy to generate a cad design and print it. Test it and if it does what you want, you can have it printed in metal.

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Shifter is attached to the transmission. It moves relative to the body. Gates would have to be pretty wide to work all the time I think.
That's a good point. I have felt it move but never paid attention to just how far. Initially I would say it doesn't move THAT much but without quantifying it, well, you'd have to find out how far in order to allow for it.

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
4,345 Posts
As much as i would love to throw my money at this because i love the look, i believe past threads have covered the wide shift lanes that would be required.
The posts in this thread about the shifter being part of the tranny (and having become intimately familiar with said drive train this summer) would leave me to believe that it would be near impossible to do without (as mentioned above) separating the shift linkage mounting from the tranny and onto the more static body.
Please do not allow my comments to dissuade your search as again, if it can be done I am all in on the solution :)
Good luck!

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
7,186 Posts
I think it is possible to do without having really wide shift lanes but only on the cars that have the torque arm. on the vehicles that don't the transmission just bounces around too much.

It would not be that hard to make and I am interested in doing it because it looks pretty cool. I can draw it up and shoot it over to @rob the elder to be printed off in plastic and it can be tested for clearance. It's not that hard to simulate the roll of the engine because of torque, ratchet strap and a tree. You will always have more movement to the right then the left so the lanes could be made so the shifter didn't go straight down then but instead goes to the left side of the lane to allow the shifter to move to the right.

It would snap right into the OE trim ring. Make it from plastic, sand it then paint is whatever color you want. I would not make it out of aluminum in the off chance the shifter does come into contact with it. Plastic breaks easier then aluminum and if the thing does give if that happens the pressure is going to be put into the boomerang and that will break and is a hard to get piece of the car.

Make the piece so it is domed in shape which will make it easier to break or it will pop out before damaging anything. Slight dome with straight edges would make it easier to break and a larger dome with a slightly angled edge would allow it to pop out instead. A week spot can be made in the piece kind of like a crumple zone on a car where it is going to fail if the shifter comes into hard enough contact with it.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
FWIW, I think a case could be made for people who drive an auto but want it to look like a manual.

and how would someone go about making a cover to work with a shift lever that only goes up or down and doesn't make the H pattern.

Reactions: agent008

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
FWIW, I think a case could be made for people who drive an auto but want it to look like a manual.
You reminded me of Alfa Romeo's Selespeed shifter.

Car Vehicle Automotive design Mode of transport Personal luxury car

Or Alfa's Q System shifter.

Light Motor vehicle Gear shift Automotive design Steering wheel

If the Solstice really doesn't have q mechanical linkage between the automatic shifter and the gearbox, a gated shifter with a pattern similar to the Alfa's could be made. But it would be a whole lot of custom work.

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
It would not be that hard to make and I am interested in doing it because it looks pretty cool. I can draw it up and shoot it over to @rob the elder to be printed off in plastic and it can be tested for clearance.
I have been meaning to do this for years but never had the time. It would be really cool to get the pattern done (as a first step). Go for it (please) KGS, I'm buying my popcorn now :)

As for the gate width question... with a short shifter and gates that are way down near the pivot point, I'm guessing this will not be as bad an issue as some fear.

·
Premium Member
18,741 Posts
That's a good point. I have felt it move but never paid attention to just how far. Initially I would say it doesn't move THAT much but without quantifying it, well, you'd have to find out how far in order to allow for it.
or keyed to the transmission so they move with the transmission.

I generally go through the gears with my hand on the shift knob in both cars. I have never detected any significant motion in either car during shifting. I will have to pay more attention.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
there is going to be some left to right movement of the shifter knob when taking off from a stand still. more so with the V8 and also vehicles without the torque arm. The gate positions may be different if the transmission was changed out when a v8 swap is done.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts