Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
4,303 Posts
As much as i would love to throw my money at this because i love the look, i believe past threads have covered the wide shift lanes that would be required.
The posts in this thread about the shifter being part of the tranny (and having become intimately familiar with said drive train this summer) would leave me to believe that it would be near impossible to do without (as mentioned above) separating the shift linkage mounting from the tranny and onto the more static body.
Please do not allow my comments to dissuade your search as again, if it can be done I am all in on the solution :)
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
4,303 Posts
Just out of curiosity today i drive to work with my hand around the base of the shifter shaft (your joke goes here “_:)
I was surprised at the amount of vertical movement (up and down) when going over bumps etc.
Very unscientific but if i had to guess, the shifter would lean towards the passenger side 1/8-1/4” when stepping on the throttle and applying some torque. No opportunities for WOT on the morning commute so this would just be regular city driving.
For reference i have a 2008 GXP Manual with the torque bar.
Love to hear what other folks experiences are…

·
Premium Member
4,303 Posts
" diff gets realized by the transmission and since the shifter goes into the tail of the transmission and the transmission sits on rubber mounts it lifts up until it reaches the mechanical limits of the mounts"
When i recently did my Ar5 (twice) there were no "rubber mounts". The transmission bolts directly to the rear of the engine block and the torque arm attaches on the side of the tranny behind the bell housing and the tail of the torque arm mounts to the side of the differential. Other than the motor mounts themselves and the differential mounts the transmission has no mount or support that I am aware of. Did I miss something? Egads!

·
Premium Member
4,303 Posts
There is no bar that goes across the bottom of the car under the tail of the transmission that the transmission rests on?
Not on my 08 GXP. The tunnel is wide open from the rear of the motor back to the dif. I believe that diagram is "pre-torque bar"

·
Premium Member
4,303 Posts

automatic transmissions have the mount manual trans does not.
Well there ya go. "Floating" tranny so to speak.

·
Premium Member
4,303 Posts
A couple thoughts here.
I think that you would probably need a thinner shifter shaft to make usable "lanes" in a shift gate. (I have a DDM Short shift kit in mine but i believe they are the same "diameter")
The shifter boot and the weird white fabric doughnut underneath (assume this is a "heat" thing?) are helping reduce noise from the gearbox /tranny.
If one was to eliminate the shifter boot, i would think a newer more heat / acoustically viable "doughnut" be placed to eliminate noise / heat and dirt from entering the cabin via the open lanes in the Shift Gate.

·
Premium Member
4,303 Posts
I know it cold be added I was wondering if it would be hard to do The 06 doesn't have the torque arm and it should have the mount and the transmission is the same so in theory it should bolt in.
Wouldnt these cause an odd geometry issue for torque? As it stands now, with the torque arm on my GXP, I imagine all torque streeses land at the motor mounts and the rubber mounts for the differential carrier arm... no?
One would imagine this was by design.. but why eliminate the rear tranny mount unless it was physically in the way of the torque arm. (which i believe it would be)

·
Premium Member
4,303 Posts
Is this little "arm" that comes around and underneath the transmission in this drawing... does it mount to the body somewhere?
Leg Organism Mammal Gesture Style

·
Premium Member
4,303 Posts
Also, in looking this up it appears the torque arm mounts precisely where the non-torque arm tranny used to mount..

Here is the pre-torque arm AR5:
Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Tire Wheel

And here is the torque arm version (at least it looks like the one on my car)
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Automotive wheel system

·
Premium Member
4,303 Posts
Oh man...where to start here...

As HH already discovered, no you can't add the trans mount to a torque arm car because the tail housing is different. Way different. And the mount/arm would run into each other.

No, the automatics never have the arm.

The funky c-shaped piece HH found in the line drawing was to put a later torque arm trans into a pre-torque arm car to keep it SCCA legal, but was never produced. There is no torque arm in the picture.
Thats what i was getting from the pictures.
The torque arm has very little room to give as to where it mounts to the tranny as well.

I found a photo (somewhere cant find it now) and it goes under and across the same part that the torque arm slides over.
As the torque arm is pretty huge the only way i could see having both (torque arm and a mount) would be some type of strap that would go around the tranny AND the attached torque arm and then a cross piece would have to be made to go under the tranny and over the torque arm.
I found an older thread where DDM was offering to weld an additional plate to the part of the arm that mounts to the tranny to reinforce it, but it looks like other than a few in-house custom jobs it never came to market. I have no idea how effective it was or not…
It’s unfortunate as i personally would like to have both solutions in place but not enough to commission some custom fabrication.
I just did the one off make of the Fluidampr PS accessory pulley and that has fiscally tempered my desire for fabrication.
YMMV :)

·
Premium Member
4,303 Posts
PS> the only point of all this was to mention i noticed both side to side and vertical movement of the shifter and i thought that notice relevant to the discussion of a shift gate.
Since i have never built one on my own, i only humbly offer that information to whomever is going to build this, so that they can get it right and then i can give them my money to build one :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts